M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Closed Thread

01-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #45
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Monte Carlo Blue M5

This new map is 80Ib-ft less than the v1.2 I'm running now. Is this to help with wheel spin? Or is the v.12 too aggressive and I should probably change to new tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #46
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somy6 View Post
This new map is 80Ib-ft less than the v1.2 I'm running now. Is this to help with wheel spin? Or is the v.12 too aggressive and I should probably change to new tune?
The lower torque values throughout most of the low end/midrange results in less heat build-up which makes higher torque at higher engine speeds (thus more HP) possible. This is where some of the extra power gain up top from. Also, wheelspin is much easier to control/modulate when your torque curve is flat up to 5500rpm. The flat tq curve gives the car a very racey feel and the engine is only running about 1bar of boost for most of the rev range (tapering up to 21psi by 6500rpm) which means less stress on the engine for 99% of all driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #47
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
You should follow our facebook

Wrapped up the new tune for the F10 M5 Comp last night and it's a banger. Limited torque to just under 600lb-ft and picked up about 30hp up top over the previous Stg1 tune.

93oct. Only mods are OFT and cat-back exhaust. Still on stock cats/dp/intake.

Highest runs were actually 671whp but I dialed it back a bit. Will be doing road testing this week, weather permitting and hope to have it available to customers by next week. Weather forecast isn't terrific though. And dry roads are really needed for this power level. Drove home from the dyno last night and I was getting wheelspin in 5th gear. And even on the dry dyno rollers, I had to do the runs in 5th gear with roller speeds approaching 190mph!

I'll be starting a new thread in the next few days on the F80 and F10 forum giving more details on the new v2 tunes. There is a lot to unpack.

This is the perfect tune. Any chance you have an overlay of a stock car on the same dyno? I'd also be curious to know if you've done anything with Pure Stage 2 as well - if so how long would you be able to keep it at 600ftlb - another 1000rpm?
      01-07-2019, 03:00 AM   #48
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
This is the perfect tune. Any chance you have an overlay of a stock car on the same dyno? I'd also be curious to know if you've done anything with Pure Stage 2 as well - if so how long would you be able to keep it at 600ftlb - another 1000rpm?
Sure... here is the new tune shown above plotted with stock tune baseline pulls. All runs are from our 2015 M5 Competition with Ti cat-back. Car still has stock intake, stock downpipes/cats, etc.

The new Dynojet Powercore application is a little annoying. For the life of me I can't figure out how to set smoothing to the usual setting instead of 0 (shown below). The graphs shown in the previous post have smoothing set to 5.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 03:30 AM   #49
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I look forward to getting some more updates and a new map soon

I have never had a Facebook account!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 04:53 AM   #50
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:

Wrapped up the new tune for the F10 M5 Comp last night and it's a banger. Limited torque to just under 600lb-ft and picked up about 30hp up top over the previous Stg1 tune.

93oct. Only mods are OFT and cat-back exhaust. Still on stock cats/dp/intake.

Highest runs were actually 671whp but I dialed it back a bit. Will be doing road testing this week, weather permitting and hope to have it available to customers by next week. Weather forecast isn't terrific though. And dry roads are really needed for this power level. Drove home from the dyno last night and I was getting wheelspin in 5th gear. And even on the dry dyno rollers, I had to do the runs in 5th gear with roller speeds approaching 190mph!

I'll be starting a new thread in the next few days on the F80 and F10 forum giving more details on the new v2 tunes. There is a lot to unpack.
Thanks for your update!

I do have few questions if I may ask.

1. Which is better?
A flat torque curve OR Boost by gear?

2. Is 671 whp (approx 770 hp) safe for our cars?

3. What is the boost that you were running?

4. What do you think is going to change for a car to have this tune BUT with catless DPs? More whp? More tq? More Boost?

Hope my questions aren't dumb. Thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 04:54 AM   #51
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sure... here is the new tune shown above plotted with stock tune baseline pulls. All runs are from our 2015 M5 Competition with Ti cat-back. Car still has stock intake, stock downpipes/cats, etc.

The new Dynojet Powercore application is a little annoying. For the life of me I can't figure out how to set smoothing to the usual setting instead of 0 (shown below). The graphs shown in the previous post have smoothing set to 5.
Lack of smoothing is OK, that graph is all ok thanks. One last question, can you reduce boost below stock in first?
      01-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #52
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Thanks for your update!

I do have few questions if I may ask.

1. Which is better?
A flat torque curve OR Boost by gear?

2. Is 671 whp (approx 770 hp) safe for our cars?

3. What is the boost that you were running?

4. What do you think is going to change for a car to have this tune BUT with catless DPs? More whp? More tq? More Boost?

Hope my questions aren't dumb. Thanks for your time!
Answers below:

1) Our new v2 tunes will retain a flat torque curve AND run lower boost levels in the lower gears. So both

2) Rods and pistons are more sensitive to torque loads than work done (HP). They are more prone to fail under sustained high torque output than anything else. Especially when running stock or close-to-stock rev limits. So yes, these power levels should be perfectly safe just as long as premium fuel (93oct min) is used. For 91oct guys, running octane boost (Lucas Oil octane booster is what we recommend) is necessary to achieve these numbers. 93oct guys can run octane boost as well but it's not necessary.

3) Boost is around 15psi until 5000rpm, then ramping up to ~21psi by 6500rpm.

4) Running cat-less downpipes (racing applications only) will result in more torque and a little more power. But a lot more noise and smell We don't even recommend running cat-less on this platform given how much power the engine is capable of making cleanly with OEM cats installed.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #53
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Lack of smoothing is OK, that graph is all ok thanks. One last question, can you reduce boost below stock in first?
I haven't tried reducing boost below stock in any gear but I don't see why that would be an issue given the function of the torque limiter (RPM x Gear) table that we adjust.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #54
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

V1.1 is still my favorite which I believe is the flat torque. Looking forward to getting this one for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #55
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somy6 View Post
V1.1 is still my favorite which I believe is the flat torque. Looking forward to getting this one for sure.
v1.1 and v1.2 only differs in EGT monitoring strategy. But they will both make the same power and have the same power/tq curves. But the v1.2 tune will be more consistent since it won't over-react to climbing EGT.

But the new tune (let's call it v2) is a whole different beast. Better in every way. More power too.
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #56
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

So excited for the v2
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #57
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Really curious what power Stage 2 can make - specifically up top while limiting TQ. Love BM3 but I'd rather have 650wtq/700+whp on 91 pump than the inverse.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #58
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
v1.1 and v1.2 only differs in EGT monitoring strategy. But they will both make the same power and have the same power/tq curves. But the v1.2 tune will be more consistent since it won't over-react to climbing EGT.

But the new tune (let's call it v2) is a whole different beast. Better in every way. More power too.
More power than what I put on dyno? We talkin less torque and more hp?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #59
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Answers below:

1) Our new v2 tunes will retain a flat torque curve AND run lower boost levels in the lower gears. So both

2) Rods and pistons are more sensitive to torque loads than work done (HP). They are more prone to fail under sustained high torque output than anything else. Especially when running stock or close-to-stock rev limits. So yes, these power levels should be perfectly safe just as long as premium fuel (93oct min) is used. For 91oct guys, running octane boost (Lucas Oil octane booster is what we recommend) is necessary to achieve these numbers. 93oct guys can run octane boost as well but it's not necessary.

3) Boost is around 15psi until 5000rpm, then ramping up to ~21psi by 6500rpm.

4) Running cat-less downpipes (racing applications only) will result in more torque and a little more power. But a lot more noise and smell We don't even recommend running cat-less on this platform given how much power the engine is capable of making cleanly with OEM cats installed.

Cheers,
shiv
Thanks Shiv for your detailed answer.

1) Are your v2 tunes customizable? Can I adjust the boost levels by gear to my liking? I'm still new to understanding OpenFlash, which is why I'm asking. Is there a way to switch between different maps while on the go? Or a person can only do it via flashing the ECU?

2) We in Middle East (Dubai) have premium 95-98 RON. I guess that should be perfectly fine for whatever tune the car has.

3) So basically the car below 5000 RPM is almost stock? Correct me if I miss something, but how is the torque around 600 lb.ft (approx 800 Nm) below 5000 RPM if the boost is stock.

4) I currently have catless VRSF downpipes, and am achieving (on stock ECU) an average of 16-18 psi already. I felt some power difference even though I don't have any tune at the moment. I am considering getting your v2 right when I have enough info about it!

One last question
-- Having 600 lb.ft of torque at about 2000 RPM would destroy your clutch am I right? Wouldn't it be better if you'd adjusted the torque levels to be under 550 lb.ft until 3500 RPM then blast it to 600+ above 3500 RPM?

Thanks once again for your time man!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #60
wtfmateim65
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 92 335i JB4

Are we able to test the V2 update currently? The car spins stock with pirellis as is it so debating tuning in the first place, when is this available?

Last edited by wtfmateim65; 01-08-2019 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #61
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Thanks Shiv for your detailed answer.

1) Are your v2 tunes customizable? Can I adjust the boost levels by gear to my liking? I'm still new to understanding OpenFlash, which is why I'm asking. Is there a way to switch between different maps while on the go? Or a person can only do it via flashing the ECU?

2) We in Middle East (Dubai) have premium 95-98 RON. I guess that should be perfectly fine for whatever tune the car has.

3) So basically the car below 5000 RPM is almost stock? Correct me if I miss something, but how is the torque around 600 lb.ft (approx 800 Nm) below 5000 RPM if the boost is stock.

4) I currently have catless VRSF downpipes, and am achieving (on stock ECU) an average of 16-18 psi already. I felt some power difference even though I don't have any tune at the moment. I am considering getting your v2 right when I have enough info about it!

One last question
-- Having 600 lb.ft of torque at about 2000 RPM would destroy your clutch am I right? Wouldn't it be better if you'd adjusted the torque levels to be under 550 lb.ft until 3500 RPM then blast it to 600+ above 3500 RPM?

Thanks once again for your time man!
It’s be great to go up 10ftlbs every 1000rpm from 2500 to 5500 or so starting at 550ftlbs
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #62
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 View Post
Are we able to test the V2 update currently? The car spins stock with pirellis as is it so debating tuning in the first place, when is this available?
get rid of the pirellis. i'm running 305 Michelin P4S and they have a ton of grip with my V1.2 tune. i spun on stock pzeros and stock tune as well. no issues now.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #63
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
get rid of the pirellis. i'm running 305 Michelin P4S and they have a ton of grip with my V1.2 tune. i spun on stock pzeros and stock tune as well. no issues now.
Can't wait to get my P4S 305's on!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #64
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had Pzeros on all our cars until I mounted Michelin 4S on my AMG GTS. Such a huge upgrade in grip. Went from wheelspin in 3rd gear to fully hooking up in 2nd gear. Trying to wear out the Pzeros on the M5 so I can upgrade to the Michelin’s ASAP.

In the meantime I’ve applied torque reduction mapping in 1st and 2nd gear. As such, full traction even with DTC off 👍

I’ll answer all the questions tonight when I’m in front of a PC
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:57 AM   #65
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Bought some Michelin PS4s as well for the rear, will fit them in Spring.

Have rolling Road day booked on the 19th January so will be able to compare stock and Stage 1 side by side

Will be good to compare the V2 if its completed
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #66
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
Quote:
I had Pzeros on all our cars until I mounted Michelin 4S on my AMG GTS. Such a huge upgrade in grip. Went from wheelspin in 3rd gear to fully hooking up in 2nd gear. Trying to wear out the Pzeros on the M5 so I can upgrade to the Michelin’s ASAP.

In the meantime I’ve applied torque reduction mapping in 1st and 2nd gear. As such, full traction even with DTC off 👍

I’ll answer all the questions tonight when I’m in front of a PC
I currently have Michelin PS 4S (305/30/R20) in the back and car grips with DSC OFF on 2nd gear with no issues. The grip is phenomenal.

OpenFlash I'll be waiting for your answers buddy
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread