BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

Owning Off Warranty

I'm actually looking at purchasing a F90 M5C but I wanted to check in with owners of the older generation. I typically keep my cars 5-8 years, I've read some real horror stories on here about owning off warranty. Are these legit, is it stupid to think of owning these that long?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'm actually looking at purchasing a F90 M5C but I wanted to check in with owners of the older generation. I typically keep my cars 5-8 years, I've read some real horror stories on here about owning off warranty. Are these legit, is it stupid to think of owning these that long?
Not that older actually but I'll say that if your worried about owning one of these then indeed get a warranty.As your a long time keeper you can for instance keep one for up to say 40k miles then start a warranty if you decide to hang on to it.
I've driven an F90 and though marginally faster than the F10 the feeling was just not there for me with the replacement and I like my panoramic sun roof not the often seen full carbon on F90.
The thing to remember with these type of cars is that sympathetic warm up and cool down periods after hard driving with more often preventative maintenance will pay you benefits.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
My opinion is that the goal should be to be covered by some kind of warranty during the ownership of an M car. The cost of a catastrophic failure is just too high. With newer cars you have option of your car insurance's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance to cover you after the manufacturer's warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

It seems in america you have a lot of options

Once our factory warranty is out in Australia that’s pretty much it

Just dont but a $100k us car thinking it has maintenance of a camry
Appreciate 0