M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

01-09-2018, 02:33 AM   #1
chrisho68
Private
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F10 M5

Wireless charging solutions?

Has anyone come up with some clean wireless charging solutions? I've been looking at small circular pads for the cupholder bin or other solutions in the center armrest console. The terrible snap-in adapter gets in the way of most. Any thoughts or solutions? TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
Audioguy
Private
Rep
Drives: M4|5|6

Take advantage of the snap in cradle and pick up the OEM inductive charging tray.

Part No. 84102449887

-Audio
2002 M5 Blue Water | Silverstone
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
chrisho68
Private
Rep

Thanks for the part number. Quick investigation shows that the OEM inductive charging tray is anywhere from $200-300 and looks like the install requires complete removal of the adapter tray and pass through wiring (I could be wrong).

I invested in this cheap solution before I saw your post. Found this $15 wireless charging pad (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and this $10 4.8A USB adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) None are affiliate links.

For install, I removed the "dummy" snap-in adapter, put the charging pad down along with a short 6-inch micro USB cable and here are the results. Overall inexpensive solution that I don't think looks too bad. I'm able to put my phone on (Iphone X) and still close the center arm rest while it's charging. I considered cutting up the "dummy" adapter cover to cover up the OEM plugs but I'm fine with the look right now. Might consider some velcro strips underneath the charging pad but haven't had the pad or phone come loose under standard driving conditions.

Overall, not too shabby for $25.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-13-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
bear55
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy View Post
Take advantage of the snap in cradle and pick up the OEM inductive charging tray.

Part No. 84102449887

-Audio
Are you using this tray? Checked that it it not compatible for any of the F10, but some older E90 even E46 can fit, don't know should try to get one or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
jamier2
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisho68 View Post
I invested in this.... $10 4.8A USB adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I bought the pieces you suggested and itís woeked great. The only question I have is why buy the USB adapter? I just plugged my charging mat into the OEM USB port that is there and it seems to work fine.

Just curious if there was some reason to change how I have it now.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
chrisho68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier2 View Post
I bought the pieces you suggested and itís woeked great. The only question I have is why buy the USB adapter? I just plugged my charging mat into the OEM USB port that is there and it seems to work fine.

Just curious if there was some reason to change how I have it now.

Thanks
I don't know what the amperage on the stock integrated USB plug is but I assumed it's lower than the 4.8A on the adapter. Was just looking for a quicker charge. Glad it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
jamier2
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisho68 View Post
I don't know what the amperage on the stock integrated USB plug is but I assumed it's lower than the 4.8A on the adapter. Was just looking for a quicker charge. Glad it worked out.
Thanks agin, it works great. The only issue I have is sometimes my phone slides rearward (who knows why ), and stops charging. May have to find something that functions to keep it a little tighter in there.