09-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Exhaust Review: E-Sport + AMS DP's

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My brother and I both own Individual M5's. After break-in it was time to find exhaust setups for our cars.
I went with an Akrapovic exhaust system for my M5.
He went with the E-Sport (section 3) paired with AMS DP's (300 cell cats). The stock mid-pipe is used in this setup.
I tried to find reviews online of this setup before ordering it, but turns out no one has done this setup or at least have not reviewed it.

After driving his car, I like it. First thing I thought was "this feels/acts/sounds more like my E60 M5" (better decel/engine braking, much better sound). I am thinking about pairing the AMS DP's (300 cell) to my Akrapovic Exhaust. There is also no review of that setup, but when talking to IND.. they said they have done that setup and it sounds incredible.

Here is his review:

A couple of weeks ago I had an Eisenmann Sport Exhaust with 100mm tips, stock mid section and AMS High-Flow Catted (300 Cell) Downpipes installed. I immediately noticed the car had increased engine braking and the throttle response was more sensitive with the throttle set in the efficient mode.

As for the sound when the car is set to efficient throttle response the tone is quiet but when the throttle is set to sport or sport plus the sound of the turbos spooling up is very noticeable with the sweet spot accelerating to 2900-3000 RPM letting off the throttle immediately and allowing the car to engine brake. This gives off an intoxicating whoosh sound from the turbos, which is mostly heard from the engine bay. The Eisenmann Sport exhaust paired with the AMS catted downpipes has increased the refinement and increased the loudness of the crackle noise on upshifts compared with the OEM exhaust setup.

The fitment of the Eisenmann Sport exhaust paired up to the OEM mid section was not perfect. When the exhaust warmed up the top of the 100mm cans were a few centimeters away from touching the bumper and when the exhaust cooled off the cans lowered to about 5 centimeters away from the bumper. I was very concerned that my bumper was going to melt so I brought the car back to the shop and they installed a spacer they had laying around, which lowered the 100mm exhaust tips to about the same gap as the OEM exhaust tips to the rear bumper. Another small issue was with the AMS Catted Downpipes. On my way home I was hearing a fluttering noise from both the left and right side of the engine bay when immediately letting off the throttle or coasting down the rpm range. Although brand new OEM gaskets were included with the AMS Catted Downpipes and installed correctly I still had a fluttering issue. My shop removed the gaskets and we inspected them to find that they were not perfectly flat so we ordered brand new gaskets from a local BMW dealer and they looked flat to the eye so the shop installed them and now I only have a slight fluttering noise here and there and I cant replicate it as easily as the first time the downpipes were installed.

I would like to thank Ilia @ IND for his assistance in helping me piece together an exhaust that is not too loud and not too quiet. I really enjoy driving the car in efficient mode when I want to be stealth and in sport and sport plus when I want more bark. Another plus to this setup is that there is no annoying resonance from inside the cabin of the car.

Video Clip:
Attached Images

Last edited by avlnch; 09-30-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Wow I want this! Xmas gift ��
      09-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

so you swap out the akra for an eisenmann sport?
      10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Eisenmann Sport + AMS downpipes sounds amazing! Great looking Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
They have 2x F10 M5's. One with Akra EVO and one with Eisenmann Sport + AMS downpipes.
      10-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND
Eisenmann Sport + AMS downpipes sounds amazing! Great looking Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
They have 2x F10 M5's. One with Akra EVO and one with Eisenmann Sport + AMS downpipes.
It really does make the car. It took the M5 from a "7 series" level to a "E60 M5" level.

And Nate got it right. Two M5's with different exhaust setups.