M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Buy an F10 M5 with a Branded Lemon Title?

I'm in the market for a 2013 F10 M5, moving up from E92 M3. I have seen dozens online and narrowed my choices (thanks to some advice from this forum) to three colors: Azurite, MCB, and Singapore Gray. I have found examples of all three colors in my price range (<$35k) and with between 44k and 75k miles. All have Exec and Assist packages; some also have B&O.

I have searches with all the usual suspects -- CarGurus, AutoTrader, Cars.com, eBay, etc. -- and yesterday another Singapore pops up. Looks great in photos, 50k miles, everything aligns with my must-haves except the title is branded as a Lemon, a BMW buyback. This dealership in GA specializes in high-end cars that are manufacturer buybacks. But this title specifically reads "Lemon Law Buyback."

The car was from CA, where I'm told the Lemon laws are very much weighted toward the consumer. And CA requires a written document stating the reason for the buyback, certification that the repair has been made, and further requires a 12 month, 12k mile warranty on that repair.

The problem stated on the California Warranty Buyback Notice is "Drivetrain malfunction warning, reduced power." The repairs made were "Replaced instrument cluster, programmed vehicle and charged battery."

I asked my SA if he would run the VIN and see if there was more to the story. He found nothing more than what's noted above. He added, as a personal opinion, that he saw no reason not to buy this car.

Would you?

Thanks.
      11-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Ashley Schaifer BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - Sakhir Orange

I'd steer clear. Electrical problems are a pain to pin-point when they rear their ugly head. With that being said, a lot of people buy lemon buy-backs and never have any issues. I can't recall the exact figures but after so many years, in Georgia, the lemon history drops off, so I've been told--could be bs. A salesperson was trying to get me to buy a lemon buyback. What shop in GA if you don't mind me asking? If it's close, I can always check it out for you as I'm in Georgia.
Appreciate 1
kong24680252.00
      11-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaifer BMW View Post
I'd steer clear. Electrical problems are a pain to pin-point when they rear their ugly head. With that being said, a lot of people buy lemon buy-backs and never have any issues. I can't recall the exact figures but after so many years, in Georgia, the lemon history drops off, so I've been told--could be bs. A salesperson was trying to get me to buy a lemon buyback. What shop in GA if you don't mind me asking? If it's close, I can always check it out for you as I'm in Georgia.
That would be fantastic if you could take a look. It's Drive A Dream in Marietta. Here's the listing: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=221559023

They're asking several thousand more than comparable cars I've seen elsewhere, but it's the Singapore Gray that's got me on this one. They are asking something like $37k and others with same spec I have seen around $34-$35.

The salesman was very upfront about everything, and sent me the CA notice.
      11-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I think he would have to be upfront!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I would only consider the car if it's being sold for below market value. Certainly not for more than you've seen others for sale. I doubt they will move much on the price, but I would offer like $30k maybe $32k if I was interested.

Yes, it's fixed... you hope. An electrical issue as the fault is a tough one. At least it wasn't that there were so many mechanical issues that they had to buy it back. There wasn't much physically changed on the car, so theoretically the car isn't really any different than any other car. A "drivetrain malfunction" can be hard to diagnose, so if that's all that caused this to happen (buy back) it could be a great car. It's not like you're asking us if a salvage title car or flood car is worth buying. If this one really fancies you, has EVERYTHING you wanted and can be bought for less than market value, I say take the risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Ashley Schaifer BMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
That would be fantastic if you could take a look. It's Drive A Dream in Marietta. Here's the listing: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=221559023

They're asking several thousand more than comparable cars I've seen elsewhere, but it's the Singapore Gray that's got me on this one. They are asking something like $37k and others with same spec I have seen around $34-$35.

Perfect. It's not too far from me so I will be more than happy to take a look. Looks great from the pictures, however, I'd use the branded lemon title as leverage to negotiate a lower price. Likewise, I'd use the steering wheel as leverage too.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:36 AM   #7
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Perfect. It's not too far from me so I will be more than happy to take a look. Looks great from the pictures, however, I'd use the branded lemon title as leverage to negotiate a lower price. Likewise, I'd use the steering wheel as leverage too.
Thanks very much, but my car sold last night and I was able to close on an M5 I saw on eBay where the auction winner never showed.

Singapore Gray over Sakhir Orange, Driver Assist, Exec, and B&O with 68k miles and a new set of PSS.

I'll post photos when it finishes its cross country journey from PA to AZ.
      11-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Quote:

That place is shady. They post free carfaxes on their listings online for all cars except those that have branded or salvaged titles. Guess they dont want to scare you off up front. I could never deal with a place like that.
Appreciate 0