Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

OEM M5/M6 brakes

Hi All

How do you guys find the braking performance at high speed, from 120mph to 20mph/complete stop?

I don’t think the oem brakes inspire much confidence when braking at high speed.

Also, do you know if the F series M6 use a different brake fluid spec when compared to other BMW cars? Or is it the same brake fluid spec for all BMWs?

Thank you for all the advice
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonboy View Post
Hi All

How do you guys find the braking performance at high speed, from 120mph to 20mph/complete stop?

I don’t think the oem brakes inspire much confidence when braking at high speed.

Also, do you know if the F series M6 use a different brake fluid spec when compared to other BMW cars? Or is it the same brake fluid spec for all BMWs?

Thank you for all the advice
They work really well at all speeds maybe they are not used enough?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

..or maybe the discs are crying enough, need new ones.Get the minimum depth checked.
Can't see the fluid being different, dot 4 I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, I forgot to add....car is on 48k miles

All pads and brake fluid were changed by BMW last year.

Discs have got a small lip.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Pressume you broke in the new pads for the first 200 miles using them gently to 'key' them into the discs.
Appreciate 2
JW_ATL345.50
94jedi829.00
      07-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Pressume you broke in the new pads for the first 200 miles using them gently to 'key' them into the discs.
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes!
If your still not happy with the brakes I suggest a rolling road brake test to see if the brake balance is uniform for all four wheels and observing that no fluid of any kind is being transferred onto the discs.
Are there any flat spots on discs with juddering at high speed when b/pedal is pressed but not connected to when ABS is working.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If your still not happy with the brakes I suggest a rolling road brake test to see if the brake balance is uniform for all four wheels and observing that no fluid of any kind is being transferred onto the discs.
Are there any flat spots on discs with juddering at high speed when b/pedal is pressed but not connected to when ABS is working.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you know where in the UK, can I do this rolling Road brake test?

Car recently passed its Mot with no issues.

No flat spots or juddering.

I was just going at high speed recently and braked quite hard coming to a roundabout. The car did stopped eventually, but there was a point, where I was wondering if this was "the end" for me as I was pressing the pedal relatively hard but the "slowing down" didn't match the rate I was pressing the pedal (if that makes sense).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your advice.

I was just going at high speed recently and braked quite hard coming to a roundabout. The car did stopped eventually, but there was a point, where I was wondering if this was "the end" for me as I was pressing the pedal relatively hard but the "slowing down" didn't match the rate I was pressing the pedal (if that makes sense).
As your car passed MOT test recently where they do that brake test on a rolling road and it passed then the brake balance is ok .
In that case I would take the car back to BMW where they changed the pads and tell them the pads are not working to optimum performance, parts and work are guaranteed.It's not unknown to get a rogue set of pads even for an M which may be your problem. GL with that.
*Have them check the Brake Booster also and to check for contaminated brake fluid.

Last edited by M5Rick; 07-20-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks will do.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your advice.

I have also experienced this in the M5, but haven't been able to find the cause of it. It is rare.

I have also noticed that the stock pads and rotors work better warm, as hard braking has much more bite on a second application within a few seconds of a first. So sometimes when I am really going at it fast on back roads I will brake occasionally just to keep the brakes warm. I have never driven this car on a track so I can only guess that the brakes get plenty hot and stay hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #12
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

I find the e60 brakes better and i put it down to the fact it has brake ducts
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I have also experienced this in the M5, but haven't been able to find the cause of it. It is rare.

I have also noticed that the stock pads and rotors work better warm, as hard braking has much more bite on a second application within a few seconds of a first. So sometimes when I am really going at it fast on back roads I will brake occasionally just to keep the brakes warm. I have never driven this car on a track so I can only guess that the brakes get plenty hot and stay hot.
If you observe rally cars you will notice them pressing the brake while still on the gas to keep the discs piping hot for maximum braking performance.When going fast on snaky B roads it's worth doing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
I find the e60 brakes better and i put it down to the fact it has brake ducts
This is the only BMW series I've had that didn't have brake ducts. Too many radiators on this M5 taking all the front end space.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #15
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
This is the only BMW series I've had that didn't have brake ducts. Too many radiators on this M5 taking all the front end space.
Shame m went backwards on this
Appreciate 0