M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

08-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
klingan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

CA smog check fail

Hi all, I just received my '16 M5 from New York. 11.5k miles CPO, manual trans.
I need to register the car in california so I took it for a smog check and it failed. The OBDII sensor was "NOT READY" including fuel system, oxygen sensor and evaporative system. No mods on the car.

How can this be corrected?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Have you tried putting some miles on the car? The battery may have drained during transit which would've caused the obd monitors to reset.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Someone cleared the codes or had the battery disconnected/dead for a while. Those are "readiness monitors" and need to be set by driving the car. There is no other way.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
klingan
United_States
Rep

Thank you. I drove the car for about an hour going through "drive cycles". People staring at me driving my M5 at 55mph on the highway.. .embarassing.

Anyway, I went in this evening to recheck. The OBD was now ready, but the guy at the smog testing center says black smoke is coming out of my exhaust. Mind you, I don't see anything. Then he looks under my car and says that the car is missing the catalytic converter. I say no way considering it's a cpo. He lifts the car up to take a better look and still can't see it so he wants to fail the test for me. I'm getting upset cause this stickler is wasting my time and potentially more if I have to take time away from work to go to the dealer. So I check online and find that our cars have the cats under the hood. I tell him to look there and he still can't see it until I tell him it's under the engine cover. Thankful for instant internet access.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingan View Post
Thank you. I drove the car for about an hour going through "drive cycles". People staring at me driving my M5 at 55mph on the highway.. .embarassing.

Anyway, I went in this evening to recheck. The OBD was now ready, but the guy at the smog testing center says black smoke is coming out of my exhaust. Mind you, I don't see anything. Then he looks under my car and says that the car is missing the catalytic converter. I say no way considering it's a cpo. He lifts the car up to take a better look and still can't see it so he wants to fail the test for me. I'm getting upset cause this stickler is wasting my time and potentially more if I have to take time away from work to go to the dealer. So I check online and find that our cars have the cats under the hood. I tell him to look there and he still can't see it until I tell him it's under the engine cover. Thankful for instant internet access.
Sounds like you should find a different/better smog station! What a jerk.

So was the end result of him finding the cats, a "pass"?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
klingan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Sounds like you should find a different/better smog station! What a jerk.

So was the end result of him finding the cats, a "pass"?

Yes, thank goodness it passed! He told me from now on just to see him for the smog checks in the future. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. The only reason I ended up going there were their late hours.

Last edited by klingan; 08-28-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Man, how does that guy even have a smog license? I can tell you, as a licensed smog tech, don't ever go back to that guy again. Clearly inexperienced and didn't follow proper smog procedures. Glad it worked out though.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

This is one of the reasons I picked up a wrench many years ago. Cause of * holes like that who give you an estimate for labor based on the value of the car.
Appreciate 0