M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
700_weapon
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: Stage 2 F10 M5, M2 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Drivetrain. Maximum power not available. Drive moderately

Went for an overtake in 3rd, got this message along with CEL flashing for a few seconds then stayed on, ran quite rough until i got home.
Codes read 'Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected', iv cleared and been driving ok so far off boost.
Running BM3 Stage 2 93 and always used v power fuel.
Anyone had similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
HXS's Avatar
United_States
396
Rep
1,740
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Most likely coils and plugs. Same happened to me and they were the culprits
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
HXS's Avatar
United_States
396
Rep
1,740
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Most likely coils and plugs. Same happened to me and they were the culprits
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
JtheW
Private First Class
31
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 2014 CP M5
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Phoenix, Az.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Most likely coils and plugs. Same happened to me and they were the culprits
I agree. Coils and plugs are most likely the problem.
__________________
14 comp pack / Imperial blue / black / KW has / K&N / 10mm HR spacers/ 75mm Motorsport Hardware studs /ESS DPs & tune
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
700_weapon
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: Stage 2 F10 M5, M2 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Will get them all changed, is it a good idea to upgrade to NGK 97506 or stick with OEM?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Seeyal
Private
Seeyal's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 Saphire Black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: In heaven between New Orleans and Houston

iTrader: (0)

I am with them... Happened to me on my way to Florida on vacation on my wife's car... Drove 180 miles with it, but gentle and no issues. Dropped it to the dealer in Fort Walton and 2 days later, it was fixed - Injector coil was the culprit... You probably can get away with just changing one... If you keep the car, I would change them all, but it is just me
__________________
2017Chevy Silverado LTZ/ 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Retired/ 2014 M5/ 2012 750LI - wife car/2011 B7 Retired/ 2008 535i - now my son's car/
2008 335i - lease - returned/ 2007 750li - retired/ 2004 545i - retired
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
700_weapon
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: Stage 2 F10 M5, M2 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Yeah it's not going anywhere, will order the plugs and Bosch coil packs and hopefully that's sorted.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
M5theonlyone
Major
United Kingdom
486
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeyal View Post
I am with them... Happened to me on my way to Florida on vacation on my wife's car... Drove 180 miles with it, but gentle and no issues. Dropped it to the dealer in Fort Walton and 2 days later, it was fixed - Injector coil was the culprit... You probably can get away with just changing one... If you keep the car, I would change them all, but it is just me
Think you mean Ignition coil.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Seeyal
Private
Seeyal's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 Saphire Black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: In heaven between New Orleans and Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Think you mean Ignition coil.
My bad... Sorry about my English... I'll try to do better next time...
__________________
2017Chevy Silverado LTZ/ 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ - Retired/ 2014 M5/ 2012 750LI - wife car/2011 B7 Retired/ 2008 535i - now my son's car/
2008 335i - lease - returned/ 2007 750li - retired/ 2004 545i - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
BeachM5nster's Avatar
United_States
161
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: '14 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700_weapon View Post
Went for an overtake in 3rd, got this message along with CEL flashing for a few seconds then stayed on, ran quite rough until i got home.
Codes read 'Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected', iv cleared and been driving ok so far off boost.
Running BM3 Stage 2 93 and always used v power fuel.
Anyone had similar issues?
cylinder 6 is telling you its ready to take flight out the block.. im just putting this here so when it happens i can say tokd you so and we can add it to the bm3 death toll that is quickly rising

my advice, get rid of bm3 and go back to stock until u find out what the good tunes are
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
BeachM5nster's Avatar
United_States
161
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: '14 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeyal View Post
My bad... Sorry about my English... I'll try to do better next time...
your english is solid
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
700_weapon
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: Stage 2 F10 M5, M2 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
cylinder 6 is telling you its ready to take flight out the block.. im just putting this here so when it happens i can say tokd you so and we can add it to the bm3 death toll that is quickly rising

my advice, get rid of bm3 and go back to stock until u find out what the good tunes are
I hope not, scaring me now... i have a long trip coming up!
Anyway, got coil packs and plugs done, was told the old plugs looked perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
BeachM5nster's Avatar
United_States
161
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: '14 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700_weapon View Post
I hope not, scaring me now... i have a long trip coming up!
Anyway, got coil packs and plugs done, was told the old plugs looked perfectly fine.
im telling u.. bm3 is trash. i have no financial interest in anything, ive just been lurking this board religiously for over a year and im telling u ..
bm3 =
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #14
technician117
First Lieutenant
United_States
94
Rep
303
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700_weapon View Post
I hope not, scaring me now... i have a long trip coming up!
Anyway, got coil packs and plugs done, was told the old plugs looked perfectly fine.
1.) Sometimes a plug can look fine but under certain circumstances, like higher cylinder pressures (under boost) it can't spark reliably which causes a misfire. Then you start driving moderately and it's firing again so the plug color won't really change

2.) You could have had a bad coil and for the reasons listed above, the plugs would still look fine.

That's why people recommend just doing it all. It's not the most economical way to solve problems but it typically eliminates the culprit.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST