BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520D EDynamics

F10 Comp Pack - How to check it really is one?

Dear all

I have been considering buying a used F10 LCI with Comp Pack for a while now, but having browsed many cars on the AUC site, I notice some of the cars which claim to be Comp Pack cars have the wrong wheels.

So, the question I wanted to ask you good folk is, do all CP cars have the proper CP wheels or can a CP car have the normal wheels becuase the previous owner may have de-specced the wheels out of preference?

Secondly, how can you check aside from visual wheels if a car truly is a CP or not? What signs should I be looking for online and in person? Eg. is there an extra setting on the setup stuff, VDC/Steering etc?

Any help is appreciated! As is any guidance you can give on helping me find my right M5

My current thinking is an LCI with...
Comp Pack
Heated rear seats
Ideally BMW Icons (not a deal breaker clearly as this'll be hard to find)
Speed limit with the HUD
Comfort Seats
Reverse Cam (preferably surround view though.)
Also keen on NOT having comfort access as too many horror stories. Should I be avoiding it?

Also the crucial 1200 mile running service, I have seen a few cars online which had theirs at about 1500 miles, is this a big deal. What kind of leeway does BMW allow and should I be focusing more on cars that had it down closer to the 1200 miles but not before 1200 miles?

Last edited by sarjoo; 08-09-2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Added question about 1200 running in service
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Hey,

to answer your question on the wheels a comp pack M5 could have been ordered with the 343M (20" M5 Wheels) or the 601M (Competition) Wheels but you couldn't order the 601M wheels without getting comp pack.

You can use websites like BMWVIN.COM to decode a car's vin and confirm whether the car has comp pack or not and get the entire build sheet of the car.

Also, In the US in order to get HUD and rear heated seats you needed to get Executive pack which comes with comfort access just as an FYI. Not sure if its the same in UK
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Stur32
Rep
Drives: M5 cp

CP car’s all had black tail pipes
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

In the UK, and M car running in service must be done by 2,000 miles at most, otherwise the warranty is voided and the car cannot be sold as an Approved Used Car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you all kindly for the info.

In response to some of the stuff...

In the UK doesnt seem like theyre enforcing the comfort access with heated rear seats through the pack that was mentioned above. But good to know and be weary of. I'll keep an eye out.

On the point about black tail pipes, cant say that I noticed the CP cars all having black tails despite them having the proper CP wheels. Is this again a non UK thing, the black tails? Will pay closer to the tail pipes, heed thank you!

About the RIS below 2000 miles, good to know, thanks and this explains why a number of cars seem to show their RIS at around the 1500 mark and still being sold under the BMW AUC. Note though that I did come across one that so well priced that it turned out that the car didn't come with the proper BMW AUC warranty, just something known as a 'SELECT' warranty which only the specific the dealer franchise would honour, you could not take the car to any dealer (despite it being sold as an AUC)

Lastly, I am ruling out non CP cars....should I be?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

In the UK, all CP cars should have the black tail pipes - unfortunately, as they just slide off, it's not uncommon to find standard ones on a CP car and vice-versa. Similarly, the CP came with the 601M wheels, but the 343's were an option. Also, some people sold their 601M's, so again a standard car may have the CP wheels.

The only way to be sure is to do a VIN lookup on something like http://bimmer.work and ensure option "7MA" is present.

I think CP or not is a personal preference and the best suggestion is to drive both and see which you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
In the UK, and M car running in service must be done by 2,000 miles at most, otherwise the warranty is voided and the car cannot be sold as an Approved Used Car.
Although some dealers will try and tell you otherwise. I looked at am M3 CP and it wasn't given its run in service until 3200 miles and they tried to tell me it was fine. I rang a couple of other dealers who all said not to touch it unless I wanted potential warranty or resale issues down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I can't share the document, but the UK "BMW Approved Used Cars Rules & Regulations" document states:

"M Power Running in Service

... all M Power vehicles are required to have a 1,200 mile running in service...

Note: if a low mileage M vehicle reaches 2 years old before covering 1,200 miles, then the running in service must be carried out regardless of mileage.

To qualify to be sold through the Approved Used Car Programme an M Power car cannot have covered more than 2,000 miles before having it's running in service."
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
Mravant25.50
      08-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #9
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ladies and Gents

Thanks for your input, things a re certainty clearer regarding how to verify of a car is a CP or not. The vin website, in order to use that I'd have to get the Vin off the selling dealer or view the car and eye up the vin during a test drive I guess.

The 2000 mile/2 year limit for the RIS is now mentally noted, thanks again!

Fortunately, time is on my side and there's no rush to get a car. From what I have read there are plenty of M5s out there and so being fussy is the right way to go. So I think i'll hold out for my desired colour combination, and at minimum settle for most of the optional extras I want. Also prices will only drop which cant be a bad thing for a would-be buyer. (Though my current car will clearly also do the same, but at a slower rate.)

A question: How are you current stock F10 M5 owners finding the car in terms of being understated and not attracting excessive attention that an M3/M4 might? Is it fairly under the radar from your experience? For the kind of colours I'll most likely consider (Singapore grey for example) under the radar should be more achievable?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
Ladies and Gents

Thanks for your input, things a re certainty clearer regarding how to verify of a car is a CP or not. The vin website, in order to use that I'd have to get the Vin off the selling dealer or view the car and eye up the vin during a test drive I guess.

The 2000 mile/2 year limit for the RIS is now mentally noted, thanks again!

Fortunately, time is on my side and there's no rush to get a car. From what I have read there are plenty of M5s out there and so being fussy is the right way to go. So I think i'll hold out for my desired colour combination, and at minimum settle for most of the optional extras I want. Also prices will only drop which cant be a bad thing for a would-be buyer. (Though my current car will clearly also do the same, but at a slower rate.)

A question: How are you current stock F10 M5 owners finding the car in terms of being understated and not attracting excessive attention that an M3/M4 might? Is it fairly under the radar from your experience? For the kind of colours I'll most likely consider (Singapore grey for example) under the radar should be more achievable?
I have a Monte Carlo blue car which replaced an Estoril blue 335d. Only a few people in work noticed I had changed with others commenting that I had bought myself a new personal registration. I think that's pretty under the radar. In comfort mode the car will cruise quietly under the radar. It only becomes an animal when you go to sport or manual and let the revs lift so you can hear the V8 burble. 😁 I think the M5 is a great Q car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #11
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
I have a Monte Carlo blue car which replaced an Estoril blue 335d. Only a few people in work noticed I had changed with others commenting that I had bought myself a new personal registration. I think that's pretty under the radar. In comfort mode the car will cruise quietly under the radar. It only becomes an animal when you go to sport or manual and let the revs lift so you can hear the V8 burble. 😁 I think the M5 is a great Q car.
Thanks for the insight, interesting to hear that. Clearly M enthusiasts or car enthusiasts wont miss the details but for the casual bystander its a BMW, albeit a very nice one, they just probably cant quite pinpoint why.

I had an eye on a very nicely spec'd CP in alpine white....but the dealer staff and their attitude have put me off the car a little. Think I'll heed general advice that there are a lot of M5S out there and to not rush, and enjoy the selection journey more, take my time and find the right one. The thrill is also in the search/hunt for me - will miss that later.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

The M5 is a great sleeper car. Mine is black and I have taken the badge off the boot so it looks like any other 5 series to most people. Anyone who knows cars will know its an M5 though.

Part of the attraction to me was that its not flashy.

Having had the car for 2 months I have covered about 1800 miles and its a real split personality car.

If you drive carefully its refined, comfortable and quiet but when you need to its a real beast of a car, the way it handles is impressive for such a big car.

Sitting on the motorway at 70mph will return 31mpg and driving normally across all sorts of conditions will return 23mpg. Impressive for 600bhp

Its not a cheap car to own but its not stupidly expensive either, depends on the age and what needs doing.

One thing is certain though I have never had a car that I looked forward to driving so much. You cant help but feel special when you are in it.

You don't have to explain anything to anyone other than say if asked 'its an M5' not a lot of BMWs have the respect of car people like an M5 does (if that makes sense)

Sure M3s & M4s are great cars but the M5 is the daddy
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

U mentioned running costs, am fully expecting it to be fairly hefty, but seeing as I only intend to buy under BMW AUC it'll come with 1-2 years warranty anyway depending on how eager the dealer is to sell, but after that my estimates but the annual running costs (excluding fuel) to be between 2500-3000:

Warranty 1200 (approx 100 a month)
Insurance 1100
Road Tax 600?

Am expecting a car like this to lose around about 2000 quid per year in value also as an approximation, but wont really dip below 20k in value in the long run. Does that sound at all accurate?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
U mentioned running costs, am fully expecting it to be fairly hefty, but seeing as I only intend to buy under BMW AUC it'll come with 1-2 years warranty anyway depending on how eager the dealer is to sell, but after that my estimates but the annual running costs (excluding fuel) to be between 2500-3000:

Warranty 1200 (approx 100 a month)
Insurance 1100
Road Tax 600?

Am expecting a car like this to lose around about 2000 quid per year in value also as an approximation, but wont really dip below 20k in value in the long run. Does that sound at all accurate?
Warranty is £1450 with £250 excess or £1900 no excess inc recovery
Tax is £540
Insurance is variable but mine is £400

What it will lose depends on what you buy it for but if you buy through BMW expect the difference between what you pay and the Trade price to be about 13% difference

They will drop about 3-4K a year depends on lots of variables though.

Rear tyres are £520 a pair for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 20"

Servicing is condition based so depends on mileage etc

Front pads and discs are £1800 a pair and normally last about 45,000 miles but depends on how you drive

Still good value for such a performance car

Personally I would get comp pack and the M Performance seats if you can as these make the car stand out from a basic M5

Probably couldn't tell the difference between the two driving wise but its a better car and an expensive option so will help come re-sale

Whats your budget?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Warranty is £1450 with £250 excess or £1900 no excess inc recovery
Tax is £540
Insurance is variable but mine is £400

What it will lose depends on what you buy it for but if you buy through BMW expect the difference between what you pay and the Trade price to be about 13% difference

They will drop about 3-4K a year depends on lots of variables though.

Rear tyres are £520 a pair for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 20"

Servicing is condition based so depends on mileage etc

Front pads and discs are £1800 a pair and normally last about 45,000 miles but depends on how you drive

Still good value for such a performance car

Personally I would get comp pack and the M Performance seats if you can as these make the car stand out from a basic M5

Probably couldn't tell the difference between the two driving wise but its a better car and an expensive option so will help come re-sale

Whats your budget?
So i would be targeting a low 30's valued car. Your insurance is amazing, which provider is that with, we have 15+ years of NCD and it doesnt come anywhere close to that, infact on a comparison site the best was over a grand!! And this is with zero points or claims. Bizarre!

When you say M Perf seats are you referring to the comfort seats? Those are the ones I want, they look great and are probably really comfortable due to the high adjustability. That along with a comp pack car means it ought to have enough stand out in a market full of cars. If I am able to hold out for the ideal spec or as close as, then it would probably be an easier car to market in future if I ever wanted to sell. (Heated rear seats, LCI, Soft close doors, comfort seats, rear parking cam maybe even surround view, sun roof, and maybe even BMW Icon LEDs if I get lucky. That's the kind of spec I'm looking at.)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So i would be targeting a low 30's valued car. Your insurance is amazing, which provider is that with, we have 15+ years of NCD and it doesnt come anywhere close to that, infact on a comparison site the best was over a grand!! And this is with zero points or claims. Bizarre!

When you say M Perf seats are you referring to the comfort seats? Those are the ones I want, they look great and are probably really comfortable due to the high adjustability. That along with a comp pack car means it ought to have enough stand out in a market full of cars. If I am able to hold out for the ideal spec or as close as, then it would probably be an easier car to market in future if I ever wanted to sell. (Heated rear seats, LCI, Soft close doors, comfort seats, rear parking cam maybe even surround view, sun roof, and maybe even BMW Icon LEDs if I get lucky. That's the kind of spec I'm looking at.)

Have a read of this is really useful for reference

http://www.bmwbrochures.co.uk/0114/B...41f7cf7cd1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #17
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Have a read of this is really useful for reference

http://www.bmwbrochures.co.uk/0114/B...41f7cf7cd1.pdf
Thanks very handy esp for the option codes, thanks!
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      08-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #18
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd agree with all the comments above. I started out intending to buy a late 2015 or a 2016 car. In the end I found an lci 2014 car with less than 14k miles on it. It had one owner and had been given an oil service annually by the supplying dealer. Car was the colour combo I wanted - Monte Carlo with black interior. It had the upgraded M comfort seats, comfort access, split folding rear seat, 20 "343M alloys, Bang & Olufsen, soft close doors.
My advice would be keep looking until you get what you want. Also by going for the 2014 car I saved at least £10k over a similar miles 2016 car. Enjoy the search and walk away from dealers not prepared to work with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #19
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
I'd agree with all the comments above. I started out intending to buy a late 2015 or a 2016 car. In the end I found an lci 2014 car with less than 14k miles on it. It had one owner and had been given an oil service annually by the supplying dealer. Car was the colour combo I wanted - Monte Carlo with black interior. It had the upgraded M comfort seats, comfort access, split folding rear seat, 20 "343M alloys, Bang & Olufsen, soft close doors.
My advice would be keep looking until you get what you want. Also by going for the 2014 car I saved at least £10k over a similar miles 2016 car. Enjoy the search and walk away from dealers not prepared to work with you.
Thank you. I am kinda seeing it as a patience game, and for me an older car isnt an issue as long as its LCI and the mileage isnt too excessive because through ownership it'll average back in to my favour as I tend to do bout 5000/6000 a year.

I kinda enjoy the search for the car so biding my time isnt such a bad thing, I do want to make sure I get the right one from the right dealer too. Sounds lik you had a great find with yours on the spec and mileage

Am expecting the said dealer to try calling me today, as I had hinted at a possibly of a test drive but in this rain not sure it'll give me much info so wont be proceeding. Plus i am not sure I like his attitude to some of the things I've discussed, seems to be pushing for a quick sale. Also noticed his price has gone UP by 1 grand in the last few days!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I am kinda seeing it as a patience game, and for me an older car isnt an issue as long as its LCI and the mileage isnt too excessive because through ownership it'll average back in to my favour as I tend to do bout 5000/6000 a year.

I kinda enjoy the search for the car so biding my time isnt such a bad thing, I do want to make sure I get the right one from the right dealer too. Sounds lik you had a great find with yours on the spec and mileage

Am expecting the said dealer to try calling me today, as I had hinted at a possibly of a test drive but in this rain not sure it'll give me much info so wont be proceeding. Plus i am not sure I like his attitude to some of the things I've discussed, seems to be pushing for a quick sale. Also noticed his price has gone UP by 1 grand in the last few days!
Took me 7 months to get the car I wanted. Worth it though
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #21
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Congrats, what is the spec and colour combo of your car? Is there anything you wouldve changed in hindsight?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #22
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Congrats, what is the spec and colour combo of your car? Is there anything you wouldve changed in hindsight?
Registered in October 2016

Black Sapphire Metallic
Silverstone merino leather

Competition Pack with 601 Alloys
M Multifunction Seats
B&O Sound System
Surround View with reverse camera
Alcantara Headlining
LED adaptive headlights
Comfort access
Powered boot
Speed limit display
Sun protection glass
Online entertainment
Lane departure warning
Collision warning

I have fitted M Performance carbon interior and Genuine gloss black grills

Of all of the options Comfort Access is not really worth having given the issues around security and cars being stolen.

Last edited by OneExtra; 08-20-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0