M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Additional oil change?

I recently bought a 2014 F10 M5 with 37k miles on the clock. It looks to have been well-maintained (everything is in good condition) and serviced at main dealers in accordance with the service schedule.

The next oil change isn't due for another 7000 miles (or until 4/2020), which seems like quite a long time. I am slightly paranoid about the engine blowing (I know it's not likely but it happens and it's a very expensive problem to have) and wondered whether it's worth doing an additional oil change. I assume but don't know that the correct oil was put in it at the last oil change.

What do people think?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
Ickdeep's Avatar
United_States
3057
Rep
3,123
Posts

Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
2015 BMW X5  [5.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [5.00]
I personally change my oil every 4-5k miles.

As for what oil you use, it kind of depends. I would recommend calling your dealer and see what they recommend for your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Boosted M5
Private
United_States
24
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: F10 m5
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sf bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I personally change my oil every 4-5k miles.

As for what oil you use, it kind of depends. I would recommend calling your dealer and see what they recommend for your car.
I second that!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
AirBull
Private
AirBull's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Time is a factor as well as the miles; change it at least once a year. I suggest a good 5w-40 to protect the bearings, and you find something better than the Ravenol VST 5w-40 let me know.
__________________
2015 BMW F10 M5 | Competition Package | Driving Assistance Pkg | Executive Pkg | Bang & Olufsen | 343M 2NZ wheels

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
induc916
Private First Class
55
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I change every 3k, using Liquid Molly 5W40
__________________
14 M6 Sakhir Coupe | Pure S1 | JB4 | Meth | Fabworx DP | 4mm bored throttle bodies | SSP-R | Billet Diff Mount | DSS Axles | Rkautowerks carbon charge pipes | CSF Intercoolers |Akro exhaust | Gapped Plugs | project-gamma intakes | DME Stage 3+ Custom | 749whp/789wtq
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for your replies.

I am convinced. It can't do any harm to change the oil and filter more often than recommended and also to know for sure that the oil is both good quality and the right rating (which is 0W30 here in the UK). I have booked it in for an oil change this Friday.

I can't see myself changing the oil every 3000 miles (good oil isn't cheap) but I shall certainly be doing it more than once every 24000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
512
Rep
1,255
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

I am convinced. It can't do any harm to change the oil and filter more often than recommended and also to know for sure that the oil is both good quality and the right rating (which is 0W30 here in the UK). I have booked it in for an oil change this Friday.

I can't see myself changing the oil every 3000 miles (good oil isn't cheap) but I shall certainly be doing it more than once every 24000 miles.
I do mine every year or 5000-6000 miles. BMW Main Dealer change and it costs 190ish plus its recorded in the iDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
M5theonlyone
Major
United Kingdom
485
Rep
1,279
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Same here every year, that BMW MD stamp and i/d record is worth more than from different garage.You can even supply your own oil so long as its Bm approved.
Your oil, then 73 for labour inc. the genuine oil filter.You also have the free multi health check VHC to make sure the car is safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I do mine every year or 5000-6000 miles. BMW Main Dealer change and it costs 190ish plus its recorded in the iDrive
I was going to go to a local mechanic but I was expecting it to be about this much anyway (oil is expensive) so if it's that much at a main dealer, I think I'll call mine and check. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
512
Rep
1,255
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I do mine every year or 5000-6000 miles. BMW Main Dealer change and it costs £190ish plus its recorded in the iDrive
I was going to go to a local mechanic but I was expecting it to be about this much anyway (oil is expensive) so if it's that much at a main dealer, I think I'll call mine and check. Thank you.
You may be quoted anything up to £300+ so you need to negotiate or phone a few

I bought my own oil and filter from their parts dept and then just paid the labour
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:22 AM   #11
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
You may be quoted anything up to 300+ so you need to negotiate or phone a few

I bought my own oil and filter from their parts dept and then just paid the labour
My main dealer quoted me 206 which doesn't sound too bad. Interestingly, he went on at some length about the last service and how there was no need for an oil change but I've booked it in anyway. It can't do any harm and the consensus here definitely seems to be to change the oil more often than minimum recommendation. Unfortunately, a straight oil change won't show on the iDrive apparently, but I'm still having it done.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
512
Rep
1,255
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
You may be quoted anything up to £300+ so you need to negotiate or phone a few

I bought my own oil and filter from their parts dept and then just paid the labour
My main dealer quoted me £206 which doesn't sound too bad. Interestingly, he went on at some length about the last service and how there was no need for an oil change but I've booked it in anyway. It can't do any harm and the consensus here definitely seems to be to change the oil more often than minimum recommendation. Unfortunately, a straight oil change won't show on the iDrive apparently, but I'm still having it done.
It will show on the idrive if you insists mine was added to the history section of the service history but the time to go until next oil change was left
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
It will show on the idrive if you insists mine was added to the history section of the service history but the time to go until next oil change was left
That's interesting. I'll ask them when I drop the car off on Tuesday. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #14
mrtt
Private First Class
34
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I recently bought a 2014 F10 M5 with 37k miles on the clock. It looks to have been well-maintained (everything is in good condition) and serviced at main dealers in accordance with the service schedule.

The next oil change isn't due for another 7000 miles (or until 4/2020), which seems like quite a long time. I am slightly paranoid about the engine blowing (I know it's not likely but it happens and it's a very expensive problem to have) and wondered whether it's worth doing an additional oil change. I assume but don't know that the correct oil was put in it at the last oil change.

What do people think?
Hell I would go and change out all the fluids if you don't know when they've been replaced last
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
lotus49
Private
England
9
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtt View Post
Hell I would go and change out all the fluids if you don't know when they've been replaced last
The brake fluid service was done just after I got the car. As I mentioned, the recommended services have all been done at main dealers so the oil was changed but about 8000 miles ago.

My local main dealer did the oil change today and it cost me 205. That's not too bad bearing in mind that the oil alone would account for more than half of that. The dealer said several times that it wasn't due and wasn't necessary but I feel better for having done it. It can't do any harm and 200 is a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
512
Rep
1,255
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
The brake fluid service was done just after I got the car. As I mentioned, the recommended services have all been done at main dealers so the oil was changed but about 8000 miles ago.

My local main dealer did the oil change today and it cost me 205. That's not too bad bearing in mind that the oil alone would account for more than half of that. The dealer said several times that it wasn't due and wasn't necessary but I feel better for having done it. It can't do any harm and 200 is a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Did he update the idrive?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST