M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Carly Options

I've been reading that people have had success with the carly adapter and others who claim it is garbage for the F10 M5. My questions are:

1) which version would you get? Looks like there is a wifi version on amazon for $83 and a bluetooth version for $63. Also is it just this adapter i need to buy or some other sort of dongle?
2) do you need a subscription service to the carly app? or is everything available through the iphone/ipad app once you buy the adapter.
3) what are your experiences? can you code things with no issues? e.g., automatically fold side mirrors when locking car, resetting CEL, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
schrickm5's Avatar
Sweden
40
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 Comp 2014
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden, (Europe)

iTrader: (0)

I havent received my iOS adapter yet, I had an Android one prior, and that was what I used on my M6 V10.
- you need a subscription mine was about 579 SEK per yr, probably about 60usd.
- you can code a variety of things eg indicator signal in the HUD, but I used mine to check the error codes.
- as I said I dont have my F10 iOS adapter yet, so I cant comment on whats available for this model.
__________________
2014 M5 Competition in Alpine White III
[SIGPIC]

Previous Cars:- 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 > 1989 E24 635CSi > 1984 E30 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
I havent received my iOS adapter yet, I had an Android one prior, and that was what I used on my M6 V10.
- you need a subscription mine was about 579 SEK per yr, probably about 60usd.
- you can code a variety of things eg indicator signal in the HUD, but I used mine to check the error codes.
- as I said I dont have my F10 iOS adapter yet, so I cant comment on whats available for this model.
Interesting, so why wouldn't someone just buy a OBD reader instead of consistently paying $60 a year for Carly? Doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
schrickm5's Avatar
Sweden
40
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 Comp 2014
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden, (Europe)

iTrader: (0)

Because to some people 60usd/yr is a fart in the wind compared to the overall running costs. Hope that makes more sense to you now.
__________________
2014 M5 Competition in Alpine White III
[SIGPIC]

Previous Cars:- 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 > 1989 E24 635CSi > 1984 E30 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
Guy M5
New Member
Scotland
6
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 2014 MCB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I have a Carly adaptor, it lives in the glove box and connects by bluetooth to my Samsung Galaxy phone via the Carly App.
I paid for an upgrade a few years back, I cant remember how much but it seemed cheap at the time and I don't pay any annual fees. This payment allowed me extra functions such as registering batteries and resetting service indicators etc.
I have used it to read error codes and code in various things on my car including folding mirrors, disabling auto unlock and numerous other small things which I fancied.
For me it is a great tool to keep in the glove box and gives me instant access to diagnosing any problems that may occur while on the road.
It is to my mind, a really good, cheap item to own for anyone considering home maintenance although it has its limitations and there will be better (but possibly less convenient) readers on the market.
For me, for the money, it is well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M5 View Post
I have a Carly adaptor, it lives in the glove box and connects by bluetooth to my Samsung Galaxy phone via the Carly App.
I paid for an upgrade a few years back, I cant remember how much but it seemed cheap at the time and I don't pay any annual fees. This payment allowed me extra functions such as registering batteries and resetting service indicators etc.
I have used it to read error codes and code in various things on my car including folding mirrors, disabling auto unlock and numerous other small things which I fancied.
For me it is a great tool to keep in the glove box and gives me instant access to diagnosing any problems that may occur while on the road.
It is to my mind, a really good, cheap item to own for anyone considering home maintenance although it has its limitations and there will be better (but possibly less convenient) readers on the market.
For me, for the money, it is well worth it!
Oh wow that's interesting that you don't have any annual fees. It's $59.99 a year in the U.S. It does seem like a great tool like you listed above but the Schwaben pro scan is $183 on ECStuning.com so i was wondering if it would be a better option to just go with that instead of paying $60 a year for the carly software unless there was a clear benefit over the Schwaben.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Guy M5
New Member
Scotland
6
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 2014 MCB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

This is what I bought, came with the lite version of the app, once I received it I paid a few 's more to give me the full version with greater functionality.
It was a few years back though, not sure if things have changed but mine's still working ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Ca...54031924&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M5 View Post
This is what I bought, came with the lite version of the app, once I received it I paid a few 's more to give me the full version with greater functionality.
It was a few years back though, not sure if things have changed but mine's still working ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Ca...54031924&psc=1
If you buy the adapter and download the app. The lite version gives you some features but not all. You have to pay for a yearly subscription for the unlimited version. Which includes the ability to code the car. The lite version i believe just allows you to read some codes but not the ability to actually reset services, code, etc. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy Carly or go with Schwaben
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

anyone have any experiences?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Smokey550ims
New Member
United_States
8
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2014 F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

I have both; the Schwaben can read and clear codes, and log diagnostics to check cylinder misfires etc.
The Carly can also read and clear codes, and also code many features; too many to list here. The Carly can also put the electronic parking brake in Service Mode to change rear brake pads. They are both very good to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
Chiraq M5's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

I have Carly app, it sits in my cup holder lol

I've used to for coding only, never needed to read codes or register batteries

I have mirror fold in & out with the remote, trunk close from the remote, DVD watch and drive.

and many more things I've done with it, it's very usefull and there are plenty of options you can change in the car with it.

The adapter was like $60 and I pay about $60 a year.

Highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq M5 View Post
I have Carly app, it sits in my cup holder lol

I've used to for coding only, never needed to read codes or register batteries

I have mirror fold in & out with the remote, trunk close from the remote, DVD watch and drive.

and many more things I've done with it, it's very usefull and there are plenty of options you can change in the car with it.

The adapter was like $60 and I pay about $60 a year.

Highly recommended
I'm getting a weird error sometimes when coding. Like for folding the mirrors when putting the alarm on.....it says "coding couldn't be completed, try turning the communication to normal, turn the engine on....." I tried it but still didn't work. It has happened with trying to code the turn signals on HUD and a couple other things too. :
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
Chiraq M5's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayaz View Post
I'm getting a weird error sometimes when coding. Like for folding the mirrors when putting the alarm on.....it says "coding couldn't be completed, try turning the communication to normal, turn the engine on....." I tried it but still didn't work. It has happened with trying to code the turn signals on HUD and a couple other things too. :

I've never had any issues coding

my only issue is with connecing the bluetooth, I sometimes gotta forget the device and re pair it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Anyone else experience this problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq M5 View Post
I've never had any issues coding

my only issue is with connecing the bluetooth, I sometimes gotta forget the device and re pair it again.
Interesting....I feel like Carly is a bit spotty. It's not really a well put together app.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #16
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
Chiraq M5's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayaz View Post
Interesting....I feel like Carly is a bit spotty. It's not really a well put together app.


you can try the other one

it's called bimmercode or something
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq M5 View Post
you can try the other one

it's called bimmercode or something
Yea i heard of that too. I'd need a interface cable, right? Like something from amazon?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #18
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
Chiraq M5's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayaz View Post
Yea i heard of that too. I'd need a interface cable, right? Like something from amazon?

No clue LOL but ppl say good things about it
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
13
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq M5 View Post
No clue LOL but ppl say good things about it
haha, i'm such a novice when it comes to software/electronics in cars.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST