M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

04-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoFranchino View Post
Hi Guys, can someone post me a BMW X5M 2017 Bang & Olufsen settings

i would like have a good bass in my car with some hip hop music

Thanks all
You should check out this thread. It is a different car and system, but may give you a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
RomeoFranchino
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You should check out this thread. It is a different car and system, but may give you a starting point.

Thanks bud.. this if for Logitech.. i need a setting for Bang & Olufsen

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoFranchino View Post
Thanks bud.. this if for Logitech.. i need a setting for Bang & Olufsen

Thanks
I know for what you asked. I said it was different system (HK vs B&O) and different car (sedan vs SAV), but it could give you a starting point. Then, you tweak settings to find your own personalized EQ.

688 HK and 6F2 B&O use the same amp & DSP in some vehicles. Through coding, you can even switch between the two.

Logic7 Surround is similar to Expanded; I find it distorts and blends tracks, giving a fake "Hall" or "Live" sound. I prefer Studio, which gives a cleaner separation of various instruments and vocals for a 5.2-like sound.

Have you tried any of the proposed EQ's in this thread or in referenced HK thread? If yes, what did you find lacking?

Also, what do you use as your main audio source? It will make a difference whether you are streaming BT or using SiriusXM compared to 320 kbps mp3 or ideally CD's & flac audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #26
RomeoFranchino
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I know for what you asked. I said it was different system (HK vs B&O) and different car (sedan vs SAV), but it could give you a starting point. Then, you tweak settings to find your own personalized EQ.

688 HK and 6F2 B&O use the same amp & DSP in some vehicles. Through coding, you can even switch between the two.

Logic7 Surround is similar to Expanded; I find it distorts and blends tracks, giving a fake "Hall" or "Live" sound. I prefer Studio, which gives a cleaner separation of various instruments and vocals for a 5.2-like sound.

Have you tried any of the proposed EQ's in this thread or in referenced HK thread? If yes, what did you find lacking?

Also, what do you use as your main audio source? It will make a difference whether you are streaming BT or using SiriusXM compared to 320 kbps mp3 or ideally CD's & flac audio.

i've tried some settings.. but i didn't find the perfect sounds.. i use USB stick for all my music.. most of the music are 320kbps with very good quality

Thanks for helping 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
I reset mine to these parameters and it sounds great at all sound levels! only thing i didn't do it Fader -6 kept at zero
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Quote:
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
I reset mine to these parameters and it sounds great at all sound levels! only thing i didn't do it Fader -6 kept at zero
Glad you like the settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

hey guys, I tried some of these settings and the audio just seems very "boomy" to me.

I'm no audiophile, but it's too much low-end bass type sounds. I adjusted the bass, but it's still too boomy. Does anyone have other suggestions that can address this?

thanks!
      12-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #30
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
hey guys, I tried some of these settings and the audio just seems very "boomy" to me.

I'm no audiophile, but it's too much low-end bass type sounds. I adjusted the bass, but it's still too boomy. Does anyone have other suggestions that can address this?

thanks!
Adjust EQ rather than bass/treble.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

I compared and bought an ipad/iphone app that includes both a real-time analyzer and white and pink noise generator. I ran the noise generator on one device through a line-in cable and played it through the aux-in input, while holding the RTA app/device in front of my head in the driver's seat. The RTA has calibration profile for my phone's built in mic, so this seemed like the least expensive way to go for probably a one time course tuning to figure out how to best set the 7-channel equalizer.

I read early on that you really need at least a 13-channel and up eq to be able to set things without having too much side effects and I pretty much proved this to myself from this experience. The response with eq flat and bass/treble in the middle turned out to be the best compromise (B&O in "studio", not "expanded"). When I tried to reduce a peak visible on the RTA with the B&O eq, the frequency selections of the eq weren't close enough to the center of the frequency I wanted to attenuate and the bandwidth of the slider caused too many nearby frequencies to attenuate that I didn't want.

I actually found the best compromise was just to leave the settings absolutely flat, and not use the B&O expander. The low bass response is naturally up a little bit with the eq flat, kind of like a waterfall setup. It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.

Note that when I did a frequency sweep (low to high frequencies), the RTA spiked at the top end high frequencies, detecting more energy there than in the lower and mid frequencies. I broke my phone, so the screenshots are gone for now, but I think it was somewhere starting at 16k and above. Beyond my hearing range for sure. I can do it again and post my results sometime later after I get a new phone if there is any interest.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.
The right settings will make flac or CD's sound better and Bluetooth or Radio worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #33
Lowflight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I compared and bought an ipad/iphone app that includes both a real-time analyzer and white and pink noise generator. I ran the noise generator on one device through a line-in cable and played it through the aux-in input, while holding the RTA app/device in front of my head in the driver's seat. The RTA has calibration profile for my phone's built in mic, so this seemed like the least expensive way to go for probably a one time course tuning to figure out how to best set the 7-channel equalizer.

I read early on that you really need at least a 13-channel and up eq to be able to set things without having too much side effects and I pretty much proved this to myself from this experience. The response with eq flat and bass/treble in the middle turned out to be the best compromise (B&O in "studio", not "expanded"). When I tried to reduce a peak visible on the RTA with the B&O eq, the frequency selections of the eq weren't close enough to the center of the frequency I wanted to attenuate and the bandwidth of the slider caused too many nearby frequencies to attenuate that I didn't want.

I actually found the best compromise was just to leave the settings absolutely flat, and not use the B&O expander. The low bass response is naturally up a little bit with the eq flat, kind of like a waterfall setup. It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.

Note that when I did a frequency sweep (low to high frequencies), the RTA spiked at the top end high frequencies, detecting more energy there than in the lower and mid frequencies. I broke my phone, so the screenshots are gone for now, but I think it was somewhere starting at 16k and above. Beyond my hearing range for sure. I can do it again and post my results sometime later after I get a new phone if there is any interest.
Name of App?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #34
nencmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: Model X Plaid

Quote:

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
Thank you sir
      05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 530i X-Drive

Garage List
Thank you, Stealth. I just happened upon your post this morning, and after reading it went out and changed the settings in my '19 M6. It doesn't even sound like the same stereo any longer. What an amazing improvement!
Regards,
Danny
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #36
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
This is awesome. I have been thinking that I am leaving a lot on the table in not knowing how to properly tune all the available options. Look forward to trying this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #37
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Tried this out, glad I ran across this thread. Makes having the b&o option worth having.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #38
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Tried this out for a few days and hated the sound, looks as bad on a RTA as it sounds. Desperately overboosted, just awful.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #39
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Tried this out for a few days and hated the sound, looks as bad on a RTA as it sounds. Desperately overboosted, just awful.
agree.. this sounds terrible.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #40
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

i tried these setting, but I will have to say they were not to my personal liking.

Given that my car now is over 5 years old, and that some have experienced issues with the B&O system, mine may not be working optimal, I'm not sure about the subwoofers, I think they may be weak and I may have an amplifier issue. I see that there is a test that can be performed with a diagnostic tool.

Anyway, my settings, that work for most music is.

B&O mode: Studio, however Expanded also works but may be lacking in the bass area.
Treble: +5
Bass: +6
Fader/Balance: zero however rear +2 may work to get less front bias if you prefer that.

100hz +7
200hz +5
500hz +4
1khz +1
2khz +5
5khz +8
10khz +6
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #41
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Anyone has good settings for old school rap music and electronic music?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #42
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
i went a completely different route. i normally dont add anything.. i try to dial out anything that i hear too much. If anything I think that this system is well detailed but a bit much on the upper low end but lacking in the really low end. so I dial out the 100 and 200 and bring up the bass in order to bring up the sub 100 frequencies. just my theory but this setting in my car sounds good to my ears

B&O mode: Studio, however Expanded also works but may be lacking in the bass area.
Treble: 0
Bass: +2
Fader/Balance: F+2

100hz -5
200hz -5
500hz -4
1khz -3
2khz -4
5khz -2
10khz 0
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #43
viltsone
Rep
Drives: G31 2018, Match UP 10 dsp

I have HK system 688. I updated car speakers to Morel Virtus 402 in front and changed subs to AI-Sonic bmw-sw8 with Helix AB amp. Not happy with the sound quality.

I coded B&O menu to iDrive NBT. Sound is better but still lacking some nice vocals.

I used E- sys to code HU_NBT - AUDIO_SYSTEM_VAR to "variant3". Also coded Audio_Profile to "variant3 and 3002 – Sound Signal set to RR4 (Rolls Royce). Sound quality went better but lower frequencies are over boosted.

Any ideas how to get EQ more flat from head unit and code Bowers & Wilkins menu?
I tried to code High_End_Audio_B_Und_W...- volle_ins but not working. I have the latest i step level 21-07-550.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50