BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-12-2020, 01:31 AM   #1
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Anyone purchased Extended Warranty?

Hi guys, hope you all doing well during this special time.

I'm looking to buy an extended warranty but not the BMW one since my factory warranty has expired for quite some time.

BMW Autonation's Express Protect (Veritas Global Protection Service) gave me two quotes (Kinda pricey):
Premier Plan
24 months/24000 miles
Total costs: $10268.44
Down Payment: $1500
Monthly Payment: 730.7
Number of Payments: 12

Powertrain Enhanced
60 months/48000 miles
Total costs: $11984.25
Down Payment: $1500
Monthly Payment: $436.84
Number of Payments: 24

Wondering if any of you guys have purchased extended warranty or have some experience in this area.

My car has catless downpipe, MSR intake and a custom tune, not sure if they will deny to pay due to these mods.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to buy EW and which plan to choose things like that?

Thank you all, stay safe and healthy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:09 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

bro you can buy a car for that price. my bmw warrantee went out at 100k. I've got 137k and no warrentee. what does that tell you.

Country run
Appreciate 2
M5Rick59631.50
yifuuX17.00
      09-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

purchased the 2 year extended warranty.

didn't claim a dime. BMW made out. Their cars are remarkably problem-free, even at 7 years out (knocking on wood) and still a blast to drive
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 2
yifuuX17.00
boots623.00
      09-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
thef10m5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5

I bought the extended warranty on a CPO '14 F10 M5 from the BMW Encinitas (San Diego) dealership in 2018. My advice is to save your money or make damn sure you go through your warranty contract with a fine-tooth comb and get any questions answered by the dealer in writing.

At the time, I was sold on my warranty as "EVERYTHING is covered as if you bought it new".

I said: "everything?"

Answer was: "Yes, EVERYTHING as if you bought it new. Anything breaks or wears out, this warranty will cover you."

Ok sold. About a year later my car developed a cracked charge pipe so I took it into Irvine BMW to get it replaced. I was told: 1) I have to pay about $200 for a diagnostic exam, 2) the charge pipes were not covered as a "wear & tear" item.

I also bought a '15 750i and with that warranty I was told that it covered replacing my brakes when they wear out - they said this to me verbatim. And that turned out to be false too.

So I later learned from a friend who worked at another BMW dealer in sales that when it comes to warranties, there's an anything goes verbal up-sell tactic that is used. They'll tell you anything you want to hear and count on you not reading the fine print in the warranty contract before you sign it. Whatever the dealership says to you is not reliable.

Before this '14 model, I had leased a '13 F10 M5 brand new and the dealership repaired loose rear-seat stitching, broken cup-holder bracket, cracked windshield and faulty fuel pump at no charge within the first 3 years that I had the car. Those are wear & tear.

So just be hyper careful and/or save your money for actual repairs instead of false promises.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick59631.50
yifuuX17.00
      09-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

What you need to understand is if the warranty is inclusionary or exclusionary warranty. Wither way I second you getting everything in writing and assuming if something is not listed that odds are its not going to be covered. Auto Nation who I bought my car/warranty from at the time in 2018 used Easy Care warranty. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU BUY A WARRANTY. That said at 10K+ run and run fast. Dump the car and go get your self a new project. So far my manual 2013 M5 granddad its engine. Thankful for Sales@RKautowerks Even with their help its was over $30K bill with Valencia BMW doing the labor. That was the only way I was able to get the warranty company to cover the costs. They initially wanted me to authorize a 8K diagnoses before they would green light the repairs! These engines are prone to alarming levels of oil consumption, rod barring/connecting rod issues and ample a mount of electronics that can cause a slew of drama on a stock car. God help you if you tune it....

If I were in your shoes, I would sell the car and buy a Porsche. That's where I'm headed as we speak.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      09-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

I didn't get warranty coverage. The warranty companies are in it to make money not give it away. They have people that specialize in risk analysis and they do their research of things that are common wear and tear items and will not cover them when they break. Sure if the motor blows it'll cost more than half the car but they'll fit tooth and nail to find a cause that will save them repairing it under warranty. Save some money for anything that will cost a few grand or save yourself the headache and anxiety if you're worried the motor will blow. Since I've owned the car I've put 20k on it and nothing that isn't water and tear has gone wrong. Had stage 1 and now stage 2 tune and all I've spent money on is spark plugs and o2 sensors that will deteriorate with a tune, brakes, tires and oil from hard runs.
Appreciate 1
yifuuX17.00
      09-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Dude, you may as well just put that money in the bank and enjoy your car. Use that money IF something ever happens to your car. Most of the problems you read here are just that a very small minority of people who need solutions to their current problems. Its easy to freak out when you read these stories and want to buy warranty..
Appreciate 1
yifuuX17.00
      09-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

Dude, who takes the sales or finance staff word on anything, especially on what’s included in a warranty.

Perf, is spot on... you want an exclusionary policy. That’s what I selected... 4 year/60k for $7500. It’s paid for itself. They covered clutches, suspension, calipers, electronics. Never an issue.
Appreciate 1
yifuuX17.00
      09-16-2020, 01:10 AM   #9
INFURNO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I've kind of said my peace on this before but.. I'm over 120k miles and never had a need for a warranty. Never had a moment of regret. $12k you were quoted will cover a few things. I'd put that towards the car equity if you want to trade it in early one day.

But that's me. You do you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
They covered clutches, suspension, calipers, electronics. Never an issue.
You needed clutches, suspension, calipers, and electronics? What the hell happened.
Appreciate 2
yifuuX17.00
M5Rick59631.50
      09-16-2020, 01:34 AM   #10
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
bro you can buy a car for that price. my bmw warrantee went out at 100k. I've got 137k and no warrentee. what does that tell you.
Thanks bud, congrats on so many miles hassle free I know the price is crazy right My friend who has a 15 M6 GC his car has 54k miles on it just passed warranty and he found out that one of the turbos went bad and valve stem seals were leaking, then he spent 6.8k for valve stem seals and the turbo job will cost around 1.8k, sounds really scary to me cuz my car now has almost 62k, so here I'm
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:42 AM   #11
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
purchased the 2 year extended warranty.

didn't claim a dime. BMW made out. Their cars are remarkably problem-free, even at 7 years out (knocking on wood) and still a blast to drive
Thanks bud! Hope my car will be like yours Reason I want to get a warranty is that my friend spent a fortune on valve stem seals, and will need to fix his turbo too, and he only has 54k miles on the car that I have 62k
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #12
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thef10m5 View Post
I bought the extended warranty on a CPO '14 F10 M5 from the BMW Encinitas (San Diego) dealership in 2018. My advice is to save your money or make damn sure you go through your warranty contract with a fine-tooth comb and get any questions answered by the dealer in writing.

At the time, I was sold on my warranty as "EVERYTHING is covered as if you bought it new".

Answer was: "Yes, EVERYTHING as if you bought it new. Anything breaks or wears out, this warranty will cover you."

Ok sold. About a year later my car developed a cracked charge pipe so I took it into Irvine BMW to get it replaced. I was told: 1) I have to pay about $200 for a diagnostic exam, 2) the charge pipes were not covered as a "wear & tear" item.

I also bought a '15 750i and with that warranty I was told that it covered replacing my brakes when they wear out - they said this to me verbatim. And that turned out to be false too.

So I later learned from a friend who worked at another BMW dealer in sales that when it comes to warranties, there's an anything goes verbal up-sell tactic that is used. They'll tell you anything you want to hear and count on you not reading the fine print in the warranty contract before you sign it. Whatever the dealership says to you is not reliable.

Before this '14 model, I had leased a '13 F10 M5 brand new and the dealership repaired loose rear-seat stitching, broken cup-holder bracket, cracked windshield and faulty fuel pump at no charge within the first 3 years that I had the car. Those are wear & tear.

So just be hyper careful and/or save your money for actual repairs instead of false promises.
Thanks for the info Really helps! I just checked the terms and condition on the sample contract. Premier Plan covers a lot but the exclusion states that if any damage caused by the mods on the car they will deny to pay the repair, which I think that they are going to use this against my claim if anything goes wrong since my car has aftermarket intake, carless downpipe and a stage 2 tune
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:51 AM   #13
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfM5 View Post
What you need to understand is if the warranty is inclusionary or exclusionary warranty. Wither way I second you getting everything in writing and assuming if something is not listed that odds are its not going to be covered. Auto Nation who I bought my car/warranty from at the time in 2018 used Easy Care warranty. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU BUY A WARRANTY. That said at 10K+ run and run fast. Dump the car and go get your self a new project. So far my manual 2013 M5 granddad its engine. Thankful for Sales@RKautowerks Even with their help its was over $30K bill with Valencia BMW doing the labor. That was the only way I was able to get the warranty company to cover the costs. They initially wanted me to authorize a 8K diagnoses before they would green light the repairs! These engines are prone to alarming levels of oil consumption, rod barring/connecting rod issues and ample a mount of electronics that can cause a slew of drama on a stock car. God help you if you tune it....

If I were in your shoes, I would sell the car and buy a Porsche. That's where I'm headed as we speak.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Bud thanks for the info and suggestions, appreciate it!! Reason I wanted to get a warranty is that my friend spent a lot to do the valve stem seals job and he also needs to fix his turbo too. Let me worry that if my car will have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:56 AM   #14
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
I didn't get warranty coverage. The warranty companies are in it to make money not give it away. They have people that specialize in risk analysis and they do their research of things that are common wear and tear items and will not cover them when they break. Sure if the motor blows it'll cost more than half the car but they'll fit tooth and nail to find a cause that will save them repairing it under warranty. Save some money for anything that will cost a few grand or save yourself the headache and anxiety if you're worried the motor will blow. Since I've owned the car I've put 20k on it and nothing that isn't water and tear has gone wrong. Had stage 1 and now stage 2 tune and all I've spent money on is spark plugs and o2 sensors that will deteriorate with a tune, brakes, tires and oil from hard runs.
Thanks bud My car has a stage 2 tune too! Worried my car will have the same problem that my friend's M6 had. The indy told him that valve stem seals leaking is a common problem on S63tu, which cost him a lot of money to fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #15
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple5 View Post
Dude, you may as well just put that money in the bank and enjoy your car. Use that money IF something ever happens to your car. Most of the problems you read here are just that a very small minority of people who need solutions to their current problems. Its easy to freak out when you read these stories and want to buy warranty..
Thanks bud My friend just spent a lot of money to fix his car which has less miles than mine so a bit worried. After reading the contract find out that they will deny the claim if the problem cause has things to do with mods on the car, they might use this to against my claim since I have intake downpipe and tune on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:08 AM   #16
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Dude, who takes the sales or finance staff word on anything, especially on what’s included in a warranty.

Perf, is spot on... you want an exclusionary policy. That’s what I selected... 4 year/60k for $7500. It’s paid for itself. They covered clutches, suspension, calipers, electronics. Never an issue.
Thanks dude Just read the sample contract, find out that they have exclusion for problem caused by mods on the car which I think they will use against me if anything happens since I have aftermarket intake, downpipe and tune
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:11 AM   #17
yifuuX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFURNO View Post
I've kind of said my peace on this before but.. I'm over 120k miles and never had a need for a warranty. Never had a moment of regret. $12k you were quoted will cover a few things. I'd put that towards the car equity if you want to trade it in early one day.

But that's me. You do you

Quote:
They covered clutches, suspension, calipers, electronics. Never an issue.
You needed clutches, suspension, calipers, and electronics? What the hell happened.
Yeah thanks dude, the premier covers more but 24/24000 still expensive. Plus I just find out they have exclusion in the contract saying that any damage caused by the mods on the car they won't cover, which is very likely that they will use it to against my claim
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:09 AM   #18
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Be aware that warranty on engine and other things may be void if engine was tuned/ modified in any way now. They can check and detect if tune was removed prior to claim or was fitted by a previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

No warranty here either. Those are some expensive warranties. I'd rather safely invest the money while enjoying the car. Who knows, by the time you have a problem you can pay it off with your gains
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #20
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

I got a 5/50 through Patriot warranty for close to 3k. The Premier Elite. Not exclusionary, but covers a good amount of stuff, and since I bought the car private party, the list of places that offer a warranty is pretty small these days, or at least offer one at a reasonable price. I did have to have them change some wording in the contract, mainly a numerical number of the labor rate they would cover (149 at a local BMW dealership) and ensuring that the sale price amount is clearly stated as the aggregate claim value of the contract. No claims in 9 months, knock on wood.
      09-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #21
nuge
Rep
Drives: M5

Great info.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #22
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thef10m5 View Post

Which warranty is this? Autonation?
Appreciate 0