M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Question Attention: No Warning Tones

Hi there, I've done some searching around the boards and it seems like this is an occurrence that happens when the amp fails? Has anyone else here had this issue? My M5 is a '14 Comp Pack with B&O and when I start up the car, I get this warning on the center display:

Attention: No Warning Tone

And subsequently, receive no audio whatsoever from the speakers of the car. There are no chimes, no beeping, no radio/navi, and the center tweeter does not lift.

If I try to adjust any audio settings, everything automatically reverts back to default immediately. I used to have this issue every once in a while and the audio would eventually come back after driving the car for a little bit. After the audio came back, I still had to physically press the button to turn the audio back on and all would be back to normal. However, as of late, the audio has never come back.

I did notice, however, that this time, the audio cut out to "No Warning Tones" during a drive. The music was playing (not blasting, volume level at probably 1/4 to 1/3 of full) and then I heard a loud crackle coming from the rear before the audio completely cut out.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their M5?
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute

Last edited by Washabi; 02-19-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

I had this for the first time 2 days ago, I had just had the car on charge so wondered if this was something to do with the battery and its condition.

I locked the car and went away after 15 mins it was all back to normal.

It happened again when I used the charger for the second time

This was with a 20A charger not a trickle charger

Is the car used often or stood for periods of time?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
M5theonlyone
Captain
United Kingdom
254
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
If the Battery Weak is not coming up then there could be a problem with the B&O amp,I don't like the loud crack you heard.
Tell you what,check the wiring connections to the speakers..one of mine was disconnected, it was a tweeter in the front passengers door.With B&O a loose speaker connection grounding can play havoc.
Appreciate 1
Washabi75.50

      02-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I had this for the first time 2 days ago, I had just had the car on charge so wondered if this was something to do with the battery and its condition.

I locked the car and went away after 15 mins it was all back to normal.

It happened again when I used the charger for the second time

This was with a 20A charger not a trickle charger

Is the car used often or stood for periods of time?
The car will sit for a few days to a week at a time. However, I drove it fairly extensively the past week and the issue has not resolved on its own.
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
If the Battery Weak is not coming up then there could be a problem with the B&O amp,I don't like the loud crack you heard.
Tell you what,check the wiring connections to the speakers..one of mine was disconnected, it was a tweeter in the front passengers door.With B&O a loose speaker connection grounding can play havoc.
Will have to check that out, thanks for the advice
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
The car will sit for a few days to a week at a time. However, I drove it fairly extensively the past week and the issue has not resolved on its own.
Its not lack of use then. Doing a Google search does show its a common problem

Is it under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Its not lack of use then. Doing a Google search does show its a common problem

Is it under warranty?
Not anymore
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Not anymore
I think this is the part you need

65126808523

Amplifier for Individual Audio System


About $3000 new so maybe a used one will be better

I believe this is what's causing the issue
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
M5theonlyone
Captain
United Kingdom
254
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Obviously check any parts that are going to be replaced in that they are actually faulty; An electronics shop may repair for a fraction of that and secondhand amps aren't really plentiful.

Last edited by M5theonlyone; 02-20-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
technician117
Second Lieutenant
United_States
63
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I saw your other thread but not this one until now. What you're experiencing is the same thing that has happened to me. Back story, I bought my car and within a day, the bass stopped coming out of the speakers. After running ISTA tests, etc. I determined my amp was bad. I found a used one on eBay, same xx523 part number as listed above (matching the one in my trunk) and replaced it. I did not code it to the car, so I will get a shadow code now of the vin's not matching. Something I will take care of down the road when I get access to coding software. Anyway, fast forward a few months and I had what you describe, happen to me. I let the car sit for a while and when I came back out, all was normal. It has happened 3-4 more times since then, most recently being 2 days ago. I also think it is related to battery state of charge because it sets a code when it happens. The code is related to power for the amp. So that crackle/pop is the amp stuck in a boot mode I think, with a burst of power coming through the speakers. I cringe when it happens because it doesn't seem good for the speakers! I know my original battery is on the way out, so since it doesn't happen often, I'm not going to do anything until the battery gets replaced this spring/summer. If it happens after I get a new battery, I might suspect there is an issue with the amp. I'd get myself another spare if they weren't so damn expensive, even used! I wonder if anyone specializes in repairing automotive amps? I kept my original as it still played music fine, just no bass. I would think that could be repaired by an expert!
Appreciate 1
Washabi75.50

      02-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #11
Chiraq M5
Private First Class
Chiraq M5's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

You need a new amp
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
AWF10M5
Captain
87
Rep
766
Posts

Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bikini bottom

iTrader: (5)

100% you need a new amp

Also make sure there is not water or anything going there because you'll be in the same position again with the new one if you don't find the root cause
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #13
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Odd... i decided to pull back the carpet this evening and found an amp that, when pulled from the car, had the part number for the Harman/Becker unit, 9337754. Does anyone know if i may have pulled the wrong unit (ie. the actual amplifier is not the one i pulled out) or if for some reason my cars original B&O amp was somehow replaced with a different unit?
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Odd... i decided to pull back the carpet this evening and found an amp that, when pulled from the car, had the part number for the Harman/Becker unit, 9337754. Does anyone know if i may have pulled the wrong unit (ie. the actual amplifier is not the one i pulled out) or if for some reason my cars original B&O amp was somehow replaced with a different unit?
I think that's for the active sound not the amp
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #15
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Odd... i decided to pull back the carpet this evening and found an amp that, when pulled from the car, had the part number for the Harman/Becker unit, 9337754. Does anyone know if i may have pulled the wrong unit (ie. the actual amplifier is not the one i pulled out) or if for some reason my cars original B&O amp was somehow replaced with a different unit?
I think that's for the active sound not the amp
Ah, is the audio amplifier mounted behind the bracket? I've been looking for a diagram or placement images to no avail
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #16
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Ah, is the audio amplifier mounted behind the bracket? I've been looking for a diagram or placement images to no avail
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...0-BMW-M5&mg=65


Start here
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #17
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2103
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
428
Rep
1,112
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2365
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #19
technician117
Second Lieutenant
United_States
63
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
The amp is the large rectangular unit mounted to the floor part of the left rear cubbie. You have to remove the side trunk panel almost entirely in order to access it enough to pull the connectors out. I think the bracket it mounts to will hide the part number, so you may have to pull the amp in order to know which number you have. If you look at RealOEM, they list all of the part numbers that interchange.

Since I posted in here last, I've only had this happen to me 1 more time. I'm just going to keep waiting it out. Worst case if it shits the bed I can put my original back in for the time being until I get another new one or find a service that repairs them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
The amp is the large rectangular unit mounted to the floor part of the left rear cubbie. You have to remove the side trunk panel almost entirely in order to access it enough to pull the connectors out. I think the bracket it mounts to will hide the part number, so you may have to pull the amp in order to know which number you have. If you look at RealOEM, they list all of the part numbers that interchange.

Since I posted in here last, I've only had this happen to me 1 more time. I'm just going to keep waiting it out. Worst case if it shits the bed I can put my original back in for the time being until I get another new one or find a service that repairs them.
Thanks for the info! I was able to find the amp (that sucker is huge) and pull the part number. I also tried manually power cycling the unit which did nothing. Now on to looking for an appropriate replacement that won't break the bank. I tried doing additional research, but does anyone know if other users have been able to upgrade/replace the OEM B&O system with a plug and play aftermarket amp? (using a harness or some sort of adapter)
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #21
Washabi
Private
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Better yet, does anyone know if there is someone/somewhere that can repair the B&O amplifier? It seems like a common enough issue across the entire BMW lineup to warrant a specialist that may be able to repair the damaged amplifier
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #22
technician117
Second Lieutenant
United_States
63
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Better yet, does anyone know if there is someone/somewhere that can repair the B&O amplifier? It seems like a common enough issue across the entire BMW lineup to warrant a specialist that may be able to repair the damaged amplifier
Last week I started looking around on the internet and didn't find anyone that specifically listed this type of Lear amp for repair. I didn't get around to reaching out to see if anyone would take on the repair anyway. Let us know if you have better luck!
Appreciate 1
Washabi75.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST