BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Help me out on car choice please!

So it's happening.I need a bigger car and gutted that BMW aren't making an m5 touring.

SO here are my car choices...Really hope to get your thoughts. Which one would you pick and why??

1) E63 AMGs estate
2) Audi RS6
3) Range Rover sport SVR

THanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 , 2019 M5 , 2022 X5 M5

I had RR Autobiography. Awesome car. Skip the svr options. Buy standard sc one and do the pulley upg. Not unless u want extra sound and pops then go with svr. RR are not really reliable. Mine went lemon. Suspension issues.

E63 is fun car. I loved the 5.5 biturbo. Really powerful car. I had S coupe before the RR. Comfort. Quite. Reliable.

In 2015 i had RS7. And i really miss that car to be honest. Interior was somewhat boring. But car was amazing and it drove really well.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
cdd
Rep
Drives: '16 M5, '18 RRS SCV8

I actually have an ‘18 RRS supercharged. I opted against the svr. Same power plant and $25k more. Wasn’t worth it for me. So like the above poster, I would save the $$ if that’s the route you go.

I’m coming from an e63, albeit not the M157, but if your #1 criteria is performance, I think it’s an easy choice - go with the Benz. Greased lightning out of the box and you’re a tune away from an additional 100bhp.

That’s what I’d do, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So it's happening.I need a bigger car and gutted that BMW aren't making an m5 touring.

SO here are my car choices...Really hope to get your thoughts. Which one would you pick and why??

1) E63 AMGs estate
2) Audi RS6
3) Range Rover sport SVR

THanks!
Don't get an RR..there's a big LR dealer near me and more so than not every time I pass there's one on a flat bed breakdown low loader coming in.In fact yesterday on the way to fill up a line of traffic was forming holding us up why? you guessed it an RR was stopping then going a few times and finally biting the dust with the emergency lights going.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I'd say Audi just because they look soo cool
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

RS6 everytime. Stage 1 map and 4WD will be impressive.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

RS6 all the way (won't beat an M5 tho!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
RS6 all the way (won't beat an M5 tho!
Ditto on the RS6
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

RR Supercharged gets my vote.
      05-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

keep them coming please guys and thanks for everyones thoughts so far...

Im massively leaning towards to the range rover sport svr but then when I take a breath and read about all of the reliability issues and crappy customer service it really puts me off!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
keep them coming please guys and thanks for everyones thoughts so far...

Im massively leaning towards to the range rover sport svr but then when I take a breath and read about all of the reliability issues and crappy customer service it really puts me off!
I spent $152K on mine. Beautiful car. Drove smooth. Turned heads. But...reliability. I bought mine. I dont lease cars. But if thats what you want, lease it. Fancy for rental car for 3 years. I just like owning cars outright. Its mine. I can do whatever i want. I gave you my 2 cents. Good luck bro.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
cdd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-M5 View Post
I spent $152K on mine. Beautiful car. Drove smooth. Turned heads. But...reliability. I bought mine. I dont lease cars. But if thats what you want, lease it. Fancy for rental car for 3 years. I just like owning cars outright. Its mine. I can do whatever i want. I gave you my 2 cents. Good luck bro.
Well for what it's worth, I've not had an issue with our '18 yet. I also bought it, but took the extended warranty. So now I've got 8 years of coverage, and I'll probably want something new by then, so I'm not overly exposed.

Other thing to remember about the RRS is the trunk, in my opinion, is quite small. With the roof line and the angle of the back of the vehicle, it doesn't fit much in there.

I would guess that trunk space in the RRS is less than the Benz...but definitely check that out when you test drive them.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd View Post
Quote:
Well for what it's worth, I've not had an issue with our '18 yet. I also bought it, but took the extended warranty. So now I've got 8 years of coverage, and I'll probably want something new by then, so I'm not overly exposed.

Other thing to remember about the RRS is the trunk, in my opinion, is quite small. With the roof line and the angle of the back of the vehicle, it doesn't fit much in there.

I would guess that trunk space in the RRS is less than the Benz...but definitely check that out when you test drive them.
I had the RR. Big one. Not the sport. Trunk was pretty big. Autobiography with 2 seats in rear with tables. Was quite the car. Had it for a year before it went lemon. Suspension issues kept coming. Started at 200 miles and kept going till 10,000 mile mark. Then it was bought back.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Get the RR or RS7.

I just picked up a LWB (long wheel base) big body RR with the 5.0 SC and it's a monster. You can't go wrong with these trucks they are truly phenomenal. I would get the autobiography sport and buy the SVR body kit and do the pulley. You will NOT be disappointed.

Range rovers are far more reliable than bmws. I've had several. And I own several bmws right now and Audi too and had some AMG recently too. BMW is at the bottom of the list. Doesn't matter if it's a //M, a turbo, NA these cars have issues.

Everyone who says RR is unreliable is speaking from their brothers friends ex wife's dog sitters moms friend experience. And then some people that take their truck for every single noise/"issue". Also many RR dealers are not knowledgeable and will fail to diagnose properly an issue which is why some people have to do the "going back" routine. The RR dealer is a scam. They charge $350 for oil change no matter what engine you have. My 4 cylinder turbo evoque costs the same to change oil as my 5.0 Range even though the 5.0 takes 5 quarts more. RR clientele are different breed of folks with generally more money than vehicle smarts.

You will enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
cdd
Rep

Quote:
I had the RR. Big one. Not the sport. Trunk was pretty big. Autobiography with 2 seats in rear with tables. Was quite the car. Had it for a year before it went lemon. Suspension issues kept coming. Started at 200 miles and kept going till 10,000 mile mark. Then it was bought back.
I understand the difference between the RR and the RRS. OP is considering the RRS, not a long wheelbase RR.

Trunk in RRS is small, in my opinion. I'm sure the long wheelbase RR trunk is cavernous.

Yours was a lemon, so far mine has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

From that list I'd go RS6
      05-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #17
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
Get the RR or RS7.

I just picked up a LWB (long wheel base) big body RR with the 5.0 SC and it's a monster. You can't go wrong with these trucks they are truly phenomenal. I would get the autobiography sport and buy the SVR body kit and do the pulley. You will NOT be disappointed.

Range rovers are far more reliable than bmws. I've had several. And I own several bmws right now and Audi too and had some AMG recently too. BMW is at the bottom of the list. Doesn't matter if it's a //M, a turbo, NA these cars have issues.

Everyone who says RR is unreliable is speaking from their brothers friends ex wife's dog sitters moms friend experience. And then some people that take their truck for every single noise/"issue". Also many RR dealers are not knowledgeable and will fail to diagnose properly an issue which is why some people have to do the "going back" routine. The RR dealer is a scam. They charge $350 for oil change no matter what engine you have. My 4 cylinder turbo evoque costs the same to change oil as my 5.0 Range even though the 5.0 takes 5 quarts more. RR clientele are different breed of folks with generally more money than vehicle smarts.

You will enjoy it!
I wasnt speaking on someone else's behalf. I dealt with mine first hand lol. You seem to be a rr fanboy who got salty sounds like it. I had to sue JLRNA for buyback.

Anyways good luck to him with his purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Get the RR or RS7.

You will enjoy it!
I wasnt speaking on someone else's behalf. I dealt with mine first hand lol. You seem to be a rr fanboy who got salty sounds like it. I had to sue JLRNA for buyback.

I got salty? My post wasn't even directed remotely towards anything you even said.

I love the trucks but don't like the dealerships. That can be said with all brands though. I always hate the dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #19
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Get the RR or RS7.

You will enjoy it!

I got salty? My post wasn't even directed remotely towards anything you even said.

I love the trucks but don't like the dealerships. That can be said with all brands though. I always hate the dealerships.
They will sell you the car. But after that. Any issues, speak to JLRNA. And they dont care afterwards either. So had to sue lol. I loved the RR LWB ATB. But their customer service sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #20
euklid
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

The Mercedes estate looks awful. The Audi has the same interior since 2011 and the Rover is a lemon. To make matters worse, the Mercedes is very uncomfortable, its suspension being extremely stiff for a daily driver as in stiffer than supercars, lambos and mclarens. The Audi is the best option but it too is a heavy boaty car that has not been updated for ages.

I would look at the Macan. In fact ever since my M5's engine seized I have been test driving almost a different car every day. I have drove all these plus many more. I am leaning towards the Macan myself, definitely the best overall package out there. Lighter than the M5, it handles amazing, it has got a hell of a punch, super luxury and Porsche's attention to detail which is a lot more comprehensive than any other car manufacturer out there. It is the only SUV that drives and handles like a proper sporty sedan. And it does not feel like a boat like the F10 M5, Cayenne and all these cars you listed do.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59589.50
      05-13-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euklid View Post
The Mercedes estate looks awful. The Audi has the same interior since 2011 and the Rover is a lemon. To make matters worse, the Mercedes is very uncomfortable, its suspension being extremely stiff for a daily driver as in stiffer than supercars, lambos and mclarens. The Audi is the best option but it too is a heavy boaty car that has not been updated for ages.

I would look at the Macan. In fact ever since my M5's engine seized I have been test driving almost a different car every day. I have drove all these plus many more. I am leaning towards the Macan myself, definitely the best overall package out there. Lighter than the M5, it handles amazing, it has got a hell of a punch, super luxury and Porsche's attention to detail which is a lot more comprehensive than any other car manufacturer out there. It is the only SUV that drives and handles like a proper sporty sedan. And it does not feel like a boat like the F10 M5, Cayenne and all these cars you listed do.
Totally agree that Merc saloons have harsh suspension, my last c class sport 204 was hard work except on main roads and motorways, people don't realise this until they buy one then like me regret it.The softer sprung cabriolets are more comfortable.
if i had a choice I would just go for the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #22
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Why wouldn't you buy an X5M and call it a day? Total package.

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0