05-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #23
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
both of you are wrong. rubber disperser/żaqua blade can F your car ..and towel drying can as well and is amateur

A tip on making drying easier and faster- Take your spray nozzle off your water hose and do final rinse with the nozzleless flow of water out the hose. the water sheets and runs almost completely off this way.

THEN
dry with a leaf blower and then use "the absorber" for missed beads and the random drainage drips from side mirrors, door handles, trunk lid, etc

i know a leaf blower is loud and does take time etc and sometimes i just use the absorber.
but ditch the towels and disperser and just get "the absorberXL"

https://www.cleantools.net/products/absorber-xl/

i cant say enough about the absorber and seemingly no one knows about them (probably bc theyre relatively expensive) but it can hold like a liter of water. wring it out and it just keeps sucking up water. its rubber(ish) so it wont hold debris at all. wring it and then whip it to make sure its debris free

u can lay it on the hood and lightly drag it and it just sucks up all the water like a magnet. {i should make a vid.. if i do, you'll order one}

you store it damp in the tube it comes in. if it gets dry its hard as a rock. but just run it under some water for a min and it comes back to life. its nuts.

i had one for 10+ years and it got left somewhere so i had to buy another bc it was sorely missed

https://www.cleantools.net/products/absorber-xl/
Absorber works great but I don't drag anything over the paint. My last few cars were black; if you look at them wrong, they swirl lol I used to use the Absorber for those spots that collect water then run down the side like the side view mirrors, corners of the trunk, etc. Leaf blower is a great tip I picked up from, again Obsessed Garage. Problem is now I'm looking for a light weight battery powered blower lol.
      05-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #24
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Nope. I always do it myself. It makes it a lot trickier when you live in an apartment, but I know which self-service car washes aren't busy so that I can take my time and bring my buckets, and products
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #25
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

Id rather keep it dirty than let others wash it.

In fact, the e39 and f10 has not been washed since winter.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 02:53 AM   #26
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
good stuff right?! 👍🏻
I'll say, was eying it every time I was there and finally got some.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #27
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Feel free to flame me: BUT after a paint correction and then a solid lifetime guaranteed ceramic coating (couldn't scratch it with a nail), I run mine through an automated wash all the time (not a cheap one, its quite a lengthy one and then a team hand waxes it at the end).

I don't have the time or energy it takes to properly wash and detail my own car. I did this for about 2 months with my 535 and with as much time as it takes me - I was spending nearly 4 hours a week washing my car and in the end I wasn't even pleased with how it came out - I'd find dust or missed spots afterwards all the time. Nothing like spending 4 hours cleaning and then finding dirty spots after (maybe I'm just shit at detailing). Add in 100+ degree temperatures and I stopped doing it.

I pay $35 a month for an unlimited membership, they vacuum out the interior and do a light wipe down, and air dry the car with blowers. I don't let them touch the tires with degreaser ever. If I didn't have ceramic I'd find another way - but it saves me maybe 12 hours a month of washing my car and to me the wash looks just as good :shrugs:'

I wash the engine bay myself - no way I'd let someone do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #28
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharshman View Post
Feel free to flame me: BUT after a paint correction and then a solid lifetime guaranteed ceramic coating (couldn't scratch it with a nail), I run mine through an automated wash all the time (not a cheap one, its quite a lengthy one and then a team hand waxes it at the end).

I don't have the time or energy it takes to properly wash and detail my own car. I did this for about 2 months with my 535 and with as much time as it takes me - I was spending nearly 4 hours a week washing my car and in the end I wasn't even pleased with how it came out - I'd find dust or missed spots afterwards all the time. Nothing like spending 4 hours cleaning and then finding dirty spots after (maybe I'm just shit at detailing). Add in 100+ degree temperatures and I stopped doing it.

I pay $35 a month for an unlimited membership, they vacuum out the interior and do a light wipe down, and air dry the car with blowers. I don't let them touch the tires with degreaser ever. If I didn't have ceramic I'd find another way - but it saves me maybe 12 hours a month of washing my car and to me the wash looks just as good :shrugs:'

I wash the engine bay myself - no way I'd let someone do that.
If you're ceramic coated, you should be ok for a bit but the non-touchless washes will wear that coating fast.

I hear you though, when I really got into detailing, I noticed that I was spending too much time washing the car. Eventually I figured out that there are ways to save time. Specifically, there are combinations of products that work to protect the car, such that you only need maintenance washes (1 hour wash max) every couple of weeks and the big washes (door jambs, engine, decon, clay, 1step polish, seal, wax, etc. like every 6 months. Not perfect by any means, but saves a bit of time.

I just bought my F10 M5 a couple of weeks ago and although it was very well cared for, the previous owner WASN'T crazy ocd like me lol. As a result, the paint just isn't up to snuff. So, over the next few weeks, I'll be doing one of the "big" washes. I'll try to document it for everyone here. Won't be as good as ceramic coating but it will be decent.
      05-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #29
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
If you're ceramic coated, you should be ok for a bit but the non-touchless washes will wear that coating fast.

I hear you though, when I really got into detailing, I noticed that I was spending too much time washing the car. Eventually I figured out that there are ways to save time. Specifically, there are combinations of products that work to protect the car, such that you only need maintenance washes (1 hour wash max) every couple of weeks and the big washes (door jambs, engine, decon, clay, 1step polish, seal, wax, etc. like every 6 months. Not perfect by any means, but saves a bit of time.

I just bought my F10 M5 a couple of weeks ago and although it was very well cared for, the previous owner WASN'T crazy ocd like me lol. As a result, the paint just isn't up to snuff. So, over the next few weeks, I'll be doing one of the "big" washes. I'll try to document it for everyone here. Won't be as good as ceramic coating but it will be decent.

Would love to see the process on that. I think I'm just not that OCD about it. I was for a short period of time and then I realized how much time I was spending and lowered my standards. Funny enough I still get complements on the how well the paint is taken care of... Its due for a polish soon.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      05-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #30
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
good stuff! what color is that soap? the one i like is golden/orange color and bottle is a black label and gold writing.

just wondering if it's most likely the same soap if it's the same color just labeled differently in a different country
That's the one, same colour and the liquid is very thick in consistency.3 capfuls for 3/4 of a wash bucket.
Meguires. That's the one I've been using last few years. Good cleaning action and lots of lubricants so your mitt goes easy over the paint.

Be sure to get a new high quality mitt every year at least and cycle your lesser (super dirty areas and special wheels mitts) as well, especially the wheel mitt since the brake dust builds up and the mitt gets so trashed.

I've been using a simple electric leaf blower I got as a corporate gift for 10 years now and don't use the fiber drying towels at all. I wouldn't have bought it myself but since I got it I definitely will buy another when/if this one breaks.

The paint sealants are almost too numerous to track anymore, but the important thing is get one and use it! 6 months is pushing it for most synthetics if you park outside in the sun (no garage at any of my jobs for 15 years now ). You really need a random orbital to do your own application or other paint maintenance jobs, so get one if you want to do it yourself or hire a detailer that does because it makes all the difference. Carnuba is only appropriate for garage queens because it is too volatile and evaporates off the car in no time flat, always use a synthetic paint sealant.

I don't think much of multi stage systems (Zaino comes to mind) and I don't buy black cars, because really I do not look forward to exterior detailing and I just want to do the big wash and sealing and or swirl removing a couple times a year and just basic washes the rest of the time and still have a great looking car.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      05-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #31
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Meguires. That's the one I've been using last few years. Good cleaning action and lots of lubricants so your mitt goes easy over the paint.

Be sure to get a new high quality mitt every year at least and cycle your lesser (super dirty areas and special wheels mitts) as well, especially the wheel mitt since the brake dust builds up and the mitt gets so trashed.

I've been using a simple electric leaf blower I got as a corporate gift for 10 years now and don't use the fiber drying towels at all. I wouldn't have bought it myself but since I got it I definitely will buy another when/if this one breaks.

The paint sealants are almost too numerous to track anymore, but the important thing is get one and use it! 6 months is pushing it for most synthetics if you park outside in the sun (no garage at any of my jobs for 15 years now ). You really need a random orbital to do your own application or other paint maintenance jobs, so get one if you want to do it yourself or hire a detailer that does because it makes all the difference. Carnuba is only appropriate for garage queens because it is too volatile and evaporates off the car in no time flat, always use a synthetic paint sealant.

I don't think much of multi stage systems (Zaino comes to mind) and I don't buy black cars, because really I do not look forward to exterior detailing and I just want to do the big wash and sealing and or swirl removing a couple times a year and just basic washes the rest of the time and still have a great looking car.
i buy a new mitt every few washes.

i like old school protection.. carnauba cleaner wax then paste wax. easy. works. and Who knows whatvthese new sealant and ceramic coatings are going to actually do to paint in 20,40,60 years.. i mean i wont care bc ill be dead but all I know is all natural waxing is doing nothing bad in any amount of years
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      05-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #32
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Absorber works great but I don't drag anything over the paint. My last few cars were black; if you look at them wrong, they swirl lol I used to use the Absorber for those spots that collect water then run down the side like the side view mirrors, corners of the trunk, etc. Leaf blower is a great tip I picked up from, again Obsessed Garage. Problem is now I'm looking for a light weight battery powered blower lol.
my neighbors can't hate me because I only do it around noon time just like the lawn keepers but I'm sure they think I'm crazy out there blowing my car off for like 20 minutes with a loud ass gas powered blower haha
Appreciate 2
94jedi829.00
_BSMM5123.50
      05-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #33
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
i buy a new mitt every few washes.

i like old school protection.. carnauba cleaner wax then paste wax. easy. works. and Who knows whatvthese new sealant and ceramic coatings are going to actually do to paint in 20,40,60 years.. i mean i wont care bc ill be dead but all I know is all natural waxing is doing nothing bad in any amount of years
Use carnauba on mine at the moment it's such a shine that I too am questing the ceramic coatings.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #34
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Use carnauba on mine at the moment it's such a shine that I too am questing the ceramic coatings.
Old school.

A proper correction and then ceramic coating makes the upkeep a lot easier.

If you enjoy the ritual of wax on wax off then I would keep doing it.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      05-17-2019, 03:15 AM   #35
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Old school.

A proper correction and then ceramic coating makes the upkeep a lot easier.

If you enjoy the ritual of wax on wax off then I would keep doing it.
Twice a year is no sweat and works out the arm muscles
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #36
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Twice a year is no sweat and works out the arm muscles
I would have thought that to keep it in excellent condition twice isn't enough
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:30 AM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I would have thought that to keep it in excellent condition twice isn't enough
The finish on my M has so much lustre without polishing anyway but those two coats a year are to give it that bit of extra protection from tar and bird do also the satisfying rain dance.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #38
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Within 1.5h i can clean my car inside and out to a fantastic standard

Normally do it every 1-2 weeks depending if i drive it or not
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      05-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #39
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
do you remember when the ceramic coatings were just coming out and people were thinking that because they were advertised as so revolutionary that the ceramic coating companies had to start advertising that it wasnt a clear bra and didn't protect from paint chips and stuff LOL.. since then we've learned that it's basically just a longer lasting wax, you still gotta do it once a year or so

it's just another money grab from wax Companies guys.. anybody remember the 'Nano' wax that everybody was talking about like 8 years or so ago.. that just disappeared .. The ceramic is definitely a bigger and better deal than that but same story

good ol' regular wax is the benchmark and the gold standard and what we like to call classic meaning it ain't goin' nowhere because it's awesome and no foo foo.. it just works
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #40
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
BUT after a paint correction and then a solid lifetime guaranteed ceramic coating (couldn't scratch it with a nail)
I'm not flaming.... but this is just nowhere near true.
Appreciate 2
_BSMM5123.50
94jedi829.00
      05-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #41
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyAssassin View Post
I'm not flaming.... but this is just nowhere near true.
You're right. Just did some research and apparently I bought into over zealous advertising.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #42
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
do you remember when the ceramic coatings were just coming out and people were thinking that because they were advertised as so revolutionary that the ceramic coating companies had to start advertising that it wasnt a clear bra and didn't protect from paint chips and stuff LOL.. since then we've learned that it's basically just a longer lasting wax, you still gotta do it once a year or so

it's just another money grab from wax Companies guys.. anybody remember the 'Nano' wax that everybody was talking about like 8 years or so ago.. that just disappeared .. The ceramic is definitely a bigger and better deal than that but same story

good ol' regular wax is the benchmark and the gold standard and what we like to call classic meaning it ain't goin' nowhere because it's awesome and no foo foo.. it just works
I'll tell you something I had never heard of ceramic coatings until I joined the forum lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #43
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

I suppose this ceramic coating is the latest version of the "crystal shield" or whatever that was from a few years back.

Like I said, the most important thing is that you use some type of sealant (carnuba included), and apply regularly enough so that the finish isn't going unprotected for a while.

I don't recommend carnuba because it doesn't last very long if you do your detailing research. I also used it all my life until the last couple years but have moved on because the synthetic sealants are easier to work with and are more durable, last longer so I can "wax" less often. Carnuba looks good and a lot of people like the look better, so it's a fine choice if you are up for waxing more frequently.

From my years of California experience I'd say that 6 months between waxing with carnuba is way way too long and paint isn't getting good protection, especially in the summer. If you want to stick with carnuba, wax more often, like every month or two if your car lives in the real world. And get a good carnuba, a real carnuba block is quite hard not all super soft and melty, because it is solvents and other additives in the mixture that make it so soft.

And get a random orbital regardless of what sealant you choose. The machine is much more capable of pushing the sealant into the microscopic terrain of the paint surface that messing with a pad in hand and using "elbow grease" to apply to the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #44
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
You're right. Just did some research and apparently I bought into over zealous advertising.
Don't get me wrong. I think ceramic coatings definitely have value and they are good for a lot of people, but the way they were marketed and sold by some people was a bunch of bologna.
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50