M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1808
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoFranchino View Post
Hi Guys, can someone post me a BMW X5M 2017 Bang & Olufsen settings

i would like have a good bass in my car with some hip hop music

Thanks all
You should check out this thread. It is a different car and system, but may give you a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
RomeoFranchino
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW X5M 2017
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You should check out this thread. It is a different car and system, but may give you a starting point.

Thanks bud.. this if for Logitech.. i need a setting for Bang & Olufsen


Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1808
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoFranchino View Post
Thanks bud.. this if for Logitech.. i need a setting for Bang & Olufsen


Thanks
I know for what you asked. I said it was different system (HK vs B&O) and different car (sedan vs SAV), but it could give you a starting point. Then, you tweak settings to find your own personalized EQ.

688 HK and 6F2 B&O use the same amp & DSP in some vehicles. Through coding, you can even switch between the two.

Logic7 Surround is similar to Expanded; I find it distorts and blends tracks, giving a fake "Hall" or "Live" sound. I prefer Studio, which gives a cleaner separation of various instruments and vocals for a 5.2-like sound.

Have you tried any of the proposed EQ's in this thread or in referenced HK thread? If yes, what did you find lacking?

Also, what do you use as your main audio source? It will make a difference whether you are streaming BT or using SiriusXM compared to 320 kbps mp3 or ideally CD's & flac audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #26
RomeoFranchino
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW X5M 2017
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I know for what you asked. I said it was different system (HK vs B&O) and different car (sedan vs SAV), but it could give you a starting point. Then, you tweak settings to find your own personalized EQ.

688 HK and 6F2 B&O use the same amp & DSP in some vehicles. Through coding, you can even switch between the two.

Logic7 Surround is similar to Expanded; I find it distorts and blends tracks, giving a fake "Hall" or "Live" sound. I prefer Studio, which gives a cleaner separation of various instruments and vocals for a 5.2-like sound.

Have you tried any of the proposed EQ's in this thread or in referenced HK thread? If yes, what did you find lacking?

Also, what do you use as your main audio source? It will make a difference whether you are streaming BT or using SiriusXM compared to 320 kbps mp3 or ideally CD's & flac audio.

i've tried some settings.. but i didn't find the perfect sounds.. i use USB stick for all my music.. most of the music are 320kbps with very good quality


Thanks for helping 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
KMORGSM5
Captain
KMORGSM5's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
773
Posts

Drives: 14 CP M5
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
I reset mine to these parameters and it sounds great at all sound levels! only thing i didn't do it Fader -6 kept at zero
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #28
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
395
Rep
5,877
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
I reset mine to these parameters and it sounds great at all sound levels! only thing i didn't do it Fader -6 kept at zero
Glad you like the settings.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3608
Rep
10,171
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

hey guys, I tried some of these settings and the audio just seems very "boomy" to me.

I'm no audiophile, but it's too much low-end bass type sounds. I adjusted the bass, but it's still too boomy. Does anyone have other suggestions that can address this?

thanks!
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #30
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1808
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
hey guys, I tried some of these settings and the audio just seems very "boomy" to me.

I'm no audiophile, but it's too much low-end bass type sounds. I adjusted the bass, but it's still too boomy. Does anyone have other suggestions that can address this?

thanks!
Adjust EQ rather than bass/treble.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
TLK
Second Lieutenant
TLK's Avatar
70
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

I compared and bought an ipad/iphone app that includes both a real-time analyzer and white and pink noise generator. I ran the noise generator on one device through a line-in cable and played it through the aux-in input, while holding the RTA app/device in front of my head in the driver's seat. The RTA has calibration profile for my phone's built in mic, so this seemed like the least expensive way to go for probably a one time course tuning to figure out how to best set the 7-channel equalizer.

I read early on that you really need at least a 13-channel and up eq to be able to set things without having too much side effects and I pretty much proved this to myself from this experience. The response with eq flat and bass/treble in the middle turned out to be the best compromise (B&O in "studio", not "expanded"). When I tried to reduce a peak visible on the RTA with the B&O eq, the frequency selections of the eq weren't close enough to the center of the frequency I wanted to attenuate and the bandwidth of the slider caused too many nearby frequencies to attenuate that I didn't want.

I actually found the best compromise was just to leave the settings absolutely flat, and not use the B&O expander. The low bass response is naturally up a little bit with the eq flat, kind of like a waterfall setup. It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.

Note that when I did a frequency sweep (low to high frequencies), the RTA spiked at the top end high frequencies, detecting more energy there than in the lower and mid frequencies. I broke my phone, so the screenshots are gone for now, but I think it was somewhere starting at 16k and above. Beyond my hearing range for sure. I can do it again and post my results sometime later after I get a new phone if there is any interest.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
Almaretto
Major General
Almaretto's Avatar
United_States
1808
Rep
7,527
Posts

Drives: Test Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.
The right settings will make flac or CD's sound better and Bluetooth or Radio worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #33
Lowflight
Captain
Lowflight's Avatar
United_States
301
Rep
693
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Memphis TN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I compared and bought an ipad/iphone app that includes both a real-time analyzer and white and pink noise generator. I ran the noise generator on one device through a line-in cable and played it through the aux-in input, while holding the RTA app/device in front of my head in the driver's seat. The RTA has calibration profile for my phone's built in mic, so this seemed like the least expensive way to go for probably a one time course tuning to figure out how to best set the 7-channel equalizer.

I read early on that you really need at least a 13-channel and up eq to be able to set things without having too much side effects and I pretty much proved this to myself from this experience. The response with eq flat and bass/treble in the middle turned out to be the best compromise (B&O in "studio", not "expanded"). When I tried to reduce a peak visible on the RTA with the B&O eq, the frequency selections of the eq weren't close enough to the center of the frequency I wanted to attenuate and the bandwidth of the slider caused too many nearby frequencies to attenuate that I didn't want.

I actually found the best compromise was just to leave the settings absolutely flat, and not use the B&O expander. The low bass response is naturally up a little bit with the eq flat, kind of like a waterfall setup. It won't be enough for kicking bass but so far seems ok for me as I listen mainly to classic rock, classical, jazz and classical from the radio, hard drive and bluetooth from my phone. I did these tests with the engine off, so some adjustment to compensate for the driving experience is probably in order.

Note that when I did a frequency sweep (low to high frequencies), the RTA spiked at the top end high frequencies, detecting more energy there than in the lower and mid frequencies. I broke my phone, so the screenshots are gone for now, but I think it was somewhere starting at 16k and above. Beyond my hearing range for sure. I can do it again and post my results sometime later after I get a new phone if there is any interest.
Name of App?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #34
nencmeister
Private
nencmeister's Avatar
15
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: M5 F10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A number of people on this board have been using my Bang and Olufsen settings. I found that the settings I used only worked at high volumes, but didn't really provide the richness of sound I expected at lower volumes.

I then turned to my friend @blue.thunder - that German fellow of impeccable taste with his own custom Individual colored M5 - to see if he could take my settings a step further to create high fidelity at any sound level. Blue Thunder came through and his settings are superb. I am sharing them here.

We didn't use any calibration software so I won't pretend these meet any objective standard of perfection, but I have to say that music with these settings sounds pretty awesome with any kind of music at any volume.

Use Expanded Mode for these settings.

Expanded Mode
Treble +7
Bass +6
Fader -6

EQ:
100 Hz +7
200 Hz +3
500 Hz +1
1 kHz -2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +3
Thank you sir
__________________
'13 M5 Singapore Grey, Exec Package, B&O, STG1 BM3 93 oct
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
Chesie
Enlisted Member
Chesie's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2019 M6GC 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [0.00]
Thank you, Stealth. I just happened upon your post this morning, and after reading it went out and changed the settings in my '19 M6. It doesn't even sound like the same stereo any longer. What an amazing improvement!
Regards,
Danny
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #36
GiddyAssassin
Private
49
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [5.00]
This is awesome. I have been thinking that I am leaving a lot on the table in not knowing how to properly tune all the available options. Look forward to trying this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #37
Boosted M5
Private
United_States
12
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: F10 m5
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sf bay area

iTrader: (0)

Tried this out, glad I ran across this thread. Makes having the b&o option worth having.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #38
Stück
Major
Stück's Avatar
United_States
640
Rep
1,117
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
1991 318iS  [0.00]
2014 M5  [5.00]
2013 X3 35i  [0.00]
Tried this out for a few days and hated the sound, looks as bad on a RTA as it sounds. Desperately overboosted, just awful.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST