M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

how much oil are you all putting in?

Did oil change for the first time. Pretty easy, though the filter is messy on removal. How much oil are folks putting in? I've seen lots of quotes of ~8.9qts but what Newtis shows (below) is 9.5L, which equates to 10 quarts.

Filling capacity, engine oil change with oil filter element Liter 9,50
      10-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I've done it about 3 times myself. I always put in 9qt. (some in filter housing) and it gets the level to just above middle.

I'm assuming 9.5qt. would be just to the top, but I prefer to measure first at 9qt., then adding more in a week or two as needed.

I would NOT add 10 qt.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:29 AM   #3
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I've changed my own oil at least a couple of dozen times. I have little to no mess due to a Weistec filter drain cap. This is one of those "Must Have" mods especially as a DIY'er.

I would agree with M5_Raz, don't add 10 qt. of oil. The gauge doesn't show if you go over the max which is very bad for your engine. I usually allow the oil to drain for multiple hours changing the pitch of the jack stands every few hours. This ensures a full drain including the intercoolers that hold roughly 1-2 qts. Even with this process, I'll never have to go beyond 9.5 qts to get to the max mark.
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      10-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #4
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
I've changed my own oil at least a couple of dozen times. I have little to no mess due to a Weistec filter drain cap. This is one of those "Must Have" mods especially as a DIY'er.

I would agree with M5_Raz, don't add 10 qt. of oil. The gauge doesn't show if you go over the max which is very bad for your engine. I usually allow the oil to drain for multiple hours changing the pitch of the jack stands every few hours. This ensures a full drain including the intercoolers that hold roughly 1-2 qts. Even with this process, I'll never have to go beyond 9.5 qts to get to the max mark.
I can't wait to use mine, finally put it on at my last oil change.

Good point about leaving the car jacked up for about an hour, a lot of oil trickles out from the coolers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Thanks all. I ended up with 9.5qts in. I started with 9qts and level was still low after a quick drive and a measurement, so added another half. Didn't want to add the other 0.5qt until I have more clarity.

I'm wondering, though, if the reason why people used to quote 8.5L and newtis shows 9.5L is related to BMW doing the TSB in late 2013 for adding 1L extra on the regular N63s due to oil consumption, and although the S63Tu isn't mentioned, ours got updated as well. It seems very unlikely that newtis would be incorrect.

TSB SI B11 01 13 (yes, it states9.5qt below, but I believe that's sump capacity, the filter/filterhousing is another 0.5qt)

"PROCEDURE
Engine oil: Topping up

When one of the above vehicles displays a message to add 1 quart of engine oil, BMW recommends adding 2
quarts of engine oil instead.
The engine’s oil sump design allows the additional quart; the result is a total capacity of 9.5 quarts (9.0 liters) of
engine oil.

Engine oil: Maintenance services and engine repairs
When performing all future engine oil maintenance services and repairs that require draining and refilling the
engine oil, the new recommended refill specification is 9.5 quarts (9.0liters) of engine oil.
The current version of the oil capacities chart, in Group 11 of the Operating Fluids Manual in TIS, has been
updated as of 3/2013

Last edited by vafan13; 10-05-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Same here I let it drain for about an hour with the car angled backwards on wheel blocks.
You can leave the oil drain plug in loose to avoid dirt blowing in through then unscrew to let the remainder out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post

+1 on the Weistec Billet Filter Cap and I usually end up with about 9.5 and adjust the pitch of the car as well.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #8
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Leaving it that extra hour to drain gets between 0.75 and 1.0 litre extra oil out. I measured it as I was curious to see. A dealer (or most garages for that matter) wouldn't do that!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

It's interesting, I heard that Porsche oil changes at the dealerships are so expensive because they leave the car up on the lift to drain for about an hour or two.

And because the lift is in use, they charge the person as if it's being worked on. Not sure if it l true or not, but it reminded me of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #10
lucid21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
It's interesting, I heard that Porsche oil changes at the dealerships are so expensive because they leave the car up on the lift to drain for about an hour or two.

And because the lift is in use, they charge the person as if it's being worked on. Not sure if it l true or not, but it reminded me of this.
My old "race" shop gave me the same BS argument for another repair on my M3. 10 hours for a job that should have taken 4. I called them out and said that's because they don't know how to manage their shop efficiently and I no longer use their services (I do all my work myself now after my strut came loose at the Glen at 140 mph because they reused the nylon insert locknut at the top, which are not to be reused).

I understand an oil change can be argued to be different but I would still call BS on this if someone pulled that on me. If the job requires this, then they need to invest in more lifts, which are not that expensive in the long-run. If they don't have the space, they shouldn't be a dealership. I am sure someone who worked in a dealership will respond and say it doesn't work that way though! LOL
      11-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
TOSLOW
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Leaving it that extra hour to drain gets between 0.75 and 1.0 litre extra oil out. I measured it as I was curious to see. A dealer (or most garages for that matter) wouldn't do that!
Good to know! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #12
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Just did my oil change, and TIS calls for 9.5L. What was weird I put about ~8.3L, I ran the oil measurement from the CID menu and showed is at the MAX, ran again just to be sure, still shows at MAX. Then I remember that ISTA+ has actually testing procedure that measure the oil level and tells you if you need to add any. To my surprise, it asked to add additional 1.2L which came right on point with TIS. Re-ran the procedure and wasn't asking for any additional oil

for those interested here is the TIS link -> https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ngine/GIXXgkBH
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #13
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

Do y'all change the filter housing o-ring at every oil change?
      02-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Yes. But you could probably get away using it twice in a row, depending on your mileage intervals
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #15
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

5k or about once a year. Reason being is that I just did an oil change a few days ago, didn't change the o-ring, and today saw a drop of oil on the ground, and some around the edge of the hole in the belly pan. I thought I had cleaned up all of the residual (dropping the filter is messy) but maybe I missed some and it's finally worked its way out. I ran my finger around the filter housing today and it seemed dry. Who knows, I'll keep an eye on it.
      02-12-2022, 09:35 PM   #16
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Any reason why you didn't? New o-ring comes with new filter and only takes 30secs to replace it. I can't believe BMW went with that design having the cap on the bottom of the engine making changing the filter such a mess. I installed one of those Weismann filter caps, so let see next oil change if is as clean as I would like to be.
Appreciate 0