M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
BMWAutoXer
No Cones
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 330 xDrive

Used F10 M5s - What to Look For?

I'm considering a higher mileage example and was curious about what I'm getting into. What are the problems / costs in failures and maintenance I should plan for as these cars age 7+ years and 100k miles?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
f10toby
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAutoXer View Post
I'm considering a higher mileage example and was curious about what I'm getting into. What are the problems / costs in failures and maintenance I should plan for as these cars age 7+ years and 100k miles?
Hello mate. These cars do require proper maintenance and need the right servicing and parts. Previously owned cars which have been badly or Inconsistently maintained should be avoided unless you're prepared to gamble! They're solid running though and plus 100k shouldn't put you off as long as you know what you're getting in to. I took mine from 52k through to 120k over a few years before taking it off the road and rebuilding it with a new engine. (It blew up due to an oil issue)

Brakes get hot on these and I've had a number of stuck pots in callipers so watch that disk and pad wear is even. And if it's higher mileage look for either calliper rebuild or replacement on the fronts. Turbos and oil pumps too should be on your agenda. High pressure fuel pumps have a habit of throwing the occasional error, and you'll most likely have the plague of drive train malfunction errors but most are easily solved.

Look through the cars service history with a fine tooth comb. Expect regular oil changes, and regular full services if it's been properly looked after. There are some bargains out there to be had with the F10s, especially higher mileage. And if nothing else it's a great platform to rip the engine out of and rebuild!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:57 AM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAutoXer View Post
Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
gearheadx77
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E61 M5 Touring, E38 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Where are you located?
Looks like Michigan.

They're good cars overall. It's still a late-model BMW and an M car. That means it has a high performance engine, not unlike another European sports car. So you need to set aside some cash for preventative maintenance (fluids, plugs, coils, injectors, brakes) and also doesn't hurt to have a rainy day fund if things really go wrong. Parts can be expensive. But the upside is that these cars reward you. While they are big and heavy, they are still a huge joy to drive and are great even on long journeys, making them a true high performance cruiser.
Appreciate 0