M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-21-2023, 10:15 AM   #133
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Then there are those of us with no kids & 5 minutes for fuel boom back on the road. Maybe 10 if bathroom break. EV still takes more effort & time regardless is the point.

One thing none of us can ever buy or get back is TIME.

Also, your sig is clearly you looking for attention. Good day
Never said EV recharge is faster. Show me?

I corrected that one guy who said 1.5 hours and it’ll take him 5 minutes after a 2-3 hour drive.

The excuses are unbearable to witness haha
      01-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #134
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
You’re taking about a cannonball run not a road trip lmaooo

The average rest stop for a 2 hour drive is 15 minutes. I said 20 minutes if you drive 3.

Are you Jeff Gordon where each rest stop has to be done in 2 minutes? You’re not going to the bathroom? Not letting your kids using the bathroom? What about snacks? Wife needs coffee. There’s a line in the rest stop mini mart.

People saying it’ll take 5 minutes for a complete rest stop experience are talking out of their asshole.

But I love the excuses!! Hahaha
In all seriousness, did you like not have a father in your car during family trips? Lol. If you were in there more than five minutes, someone was going to be in big trouble. The only thing that throws a wrench into a rest stop would be dogs, and even then the longest it should take would be 15 minutes. How much charge can your car take in 15 minutes? Is there a place for the pets to take a dump at the charging stations? I seriously don’t know. EVs (for now) are not practical for long trips. That’s a fact. Good friend of mine has Porsche Tycan. He loves it. he only uses it for around the city driving and commuting back-and-forth to work which is 10 miles from his house.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #135
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
In all seriousness, did you like not have a father in your car during family trips? Lol. If you were in there more than five minutes, someone was going to be in big trouble. The only thing that throws a wrench into a rest stop would be dogs, and even then the longest it should take would be 15 minutes. How much charge can your car take in 15 minutes? Is there a place for the pets to take a dump at the charging stations? I seriously don’t know. EVs (for now) are not practical for long trips. That’s a fact. Good friend of mine has Porsche Tycan. He loves it. he only uses it for around the city driving and commuting back-and-forth to work which is 10 miles from his house.
That fact you keep harping on a road trip as your single and only argument against ev is FUCKING HILARIOUS!

Hahaha like seriously I’m only entertaining that because it’s funny to watch you make excuses on a rare instance that this will not likely happen in an average ev buyer.

Lmaooooo
      01-21-2023, 11:15 AM   #136
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That fact you keep harping on a road trip as your single and only argument against ev is FUCKING HILARIOUS!

Hahaha like seriously I’m only entertaining that because it’s funny to watch you make excuses on a rare instance that this will not likely happen in an average ev buyer.

Lmaooooo
Road trips is the biggest reason why most people I know aren’t getting one right now. Charging times is the second biggest reason. You can laugh all you want. I wonder why it is people that think the way you do assume everyone else thinks the way you do? There’s 8 billion people on the planet right now each with their own personality. That probably comes as a shock to you. I suspect you’re a millennial.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 11:17 AM   #137
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Man, my dad was the ultimate road tripper; he was awesome. The Dude could effing drive ALL DAY.
My wife told me stories about her road trips growing up. Her father wouldn’t even allow her to customize cheeseburger at the burger stop they would always hit on the way to her grandparents house because it would add an extra 90 seconds to the trip. Do you really think he would stop for 45 minutes to charge his freaking car? That particular trip was 8 hours. She did it every Thanksgiving. My dad wasn’t that bad but you damn sure better pee before you leave the house.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #138
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
20-80% doesn’t take 1.5 hours. Just goes to show you don’t know anything about ev.

My last session was 32 minutes. Which, if you’re road tripping, isn’t far off from your usual, going to the bathroom, stretching with the kids, getting snacks and other misc shit. You’ll be out of a pit stop in 20 minutes to my 32 minutes.

You’ll still break down and I’ll win the road trip race.

You lost the argument before you started. Let me know how you’re doing in 5 years time.
20% to 80% is what - 150 miles range at highway speeds? a 3000 mile race is 20 @ 32 minute recharges, and assumes you spend zero time finding and driving to a fast-charge station, as if they were exactly on your way (like gas stations are). That's almost 11 hours of raw charge time. A gas engine getting 11 MPG on a 18 gallon tank that can be drained to zero and filled to 100% every time. It will get 200 miles to a refill and take 5-7 minutes. Lets calculate with 7, you are looking at 15 fill-ups at 7 minutes, so less than 2 hours. You are going to give up over 9 hours right off the bat, and assumes you never encounter a charge issue of any kind.

If you drove the camaro an average of 100 miles an hour, the Camaro will arrive in 30 hours. The tesla would have to drive an average of 158 miles an hour just to keep up, let alone beat it. Heat management will be harder for the Tesla than the camaro at those speeds, and your tesla has a rated top speed of only 140.

There is a video of a model 3 at the nurburgring crossing the Finish with all kinds of temp alarms on the dash and reduced power, it never hit top speed, and that's only 20 some miles.

Good luck

Last edited by chad86tsi; 01-21-2023 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #139
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On my three-and-half-day road trip in 1985 from LA to Maryland in Dad's Old's diesel, we filled up 4 times and had a half tank left over when we parked it some 3,000+ miles later in the driveway at home. 7 mins x 4 fuel stops (wait! I can do this one in my head... two 7's is 14... two 14's is... 28) = 28 minutes total refuel time!

Do I win something? An N95 surgical mask from BGM's hospital?
Lets run the numbers backwards and give his model 3 LR a chance. Lets say he averages 100 MPH to avoid a battery meltdown. That's a 30 hour of driving, plus ~11 hours of charge time for a total of 41 trip hours.

41 hours minus a half hour for you to get diesel is 40.5 hours of drive time to cover 3000 miles. You would need to average only 74 MPH. I don't know the top speed of your Dads Diesel, but other diesel olds had as-tested top speeds ~100, so 74 is not pushing it.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 01-21-2023 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #140
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Road trips is the biggest reason why most people I know aren’t getting one right now. Charging times is the second biggest reason. You can laugh all you want. I wonder why it is people that think the way you do assume everyone else thinks the way you do? There’s 8 billion people on the planet right now each with their own personality. That probably comes as a shock to you. I suspect you’re a millennial.
Road trips are NOT even in the top 3 of what people look for when car shopping, hell not even top 5. Again your aimless reaching to have any say in this argument is shit. But i don't even need to try to shoot your argument down when you had nothing to even begin with.

I am laughing. Because the model 3/Y is the best selling EV to this day. So what is your problem? EV's or teslas? Don't worry, BMW will have an entire EV line soon if you don't like tesla. Have fun with your ICE while you can.

As for me, i have both EV and ICE so i'm happy. I have no care in the world for "road tripping" my tesla. Not because i don't think it can do it. But because if i needed to go cross country, i'd take a plane and get there in 6 hours.

You're focusing on an extra 10-15 minutes during rest stops on a road trip where people do what? Every summer? as your number 1 argument that EV doesn't work today.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
      01-21-2023, 02:24 PM   #141
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
I can’t possibly be the only one watching this thread with a side of popcorn.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1605.00
________4158.50
Efthreeoh17313.50
      01-21-2023, 02:42 PM   #142
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
All I know is at 23 years old, I had the thing "pegged" (85 MPH max speedo) going across the Arizona desert.
Imagine the feeling of getting soundly beat in a real-world race in a $50K Tesla by a 70's oldsmobile with 120 HP and a 0-60 of 16.5 seconds.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2023, 03:50 PM   #143
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Road trips are NOT even in the top 3 of what people look for when car shopping, hell not even top 5. Again your aimless reaching to have any say in this argument is shit. But i don't even need to try to shoot your argument down when you had nothing to even begin with.

I am laughing. Because the model 3/Y is the best selling EV to this day. So what is your problem? EV's or teslas? Don't worry, BMW will have an entire EV line soon if you don't like tesla. Have fun with your ICE while you can.

As for me, i have both EV and ICE so i'm happy. I have no care in the world for "road tripping" my tesla. Not because i don't think it can do it. But because if i needed to go cross country, i'd take a plane and get there in 6 hours.

You're focusing on an extra 10-15 minutes during rest stops on a road trip where people do what? Every summer? as your number 1 argument that EV doesn't work today.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
I didn’t read past your first sentence. Reading comprehension isn’t your thing I guess. I really should have picked up on that earlier when you didn’t address anything i said and only repeated your talking points followed by sarcasm and an attitude. I said when buying an EV not a regular car. Your done.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 03:52 PM   #144
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn’t read past your first sentence. Reading comprehension isn’t your thing I guess. I really should have picked up on that earlier when you didn’t address anything i said and only repeated your talking points followed by sarcasm and an attitude. I said when buying an EV not a regular car. Your done.
It's you're not your.

No matter how you slice it, your argument doesn't have any meaning besides it being filled with emotions, denial and hate for what is to come regardless.

Have fun with your new EV soon.
      01-21-2023, 03:55 PM   #145
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
I can’t possibly be the only one watching this thread with a side of popcorn.
I'm right there with you with the popcorn.

All while i'm stomping on all these shitty arguments.

As if what they're saying will change what's to come. That's the fucking hilarious part about any thread with this type of subject.
      01-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #146
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Here’s a math quiz for the whizzes on this thread.

Using round numbers, Ford has ~$35b in property, plant and equipment with a U.S. market share around 14%. Ford’s PPE has considerable depreciation on it, so if more recently acquired would be valued far higher on the balance sheet. The “fair value” of Ford’s PPE is a very large number of land acres, factory square feet and miles of assembly line. Tesla has approx $22b PPE, with U.S. market share less than 2%. Tesla’s PPE is newer in comparison to Ford’s so the current balance sheet value is the relevant comparator.

Quiz question 1: how much investment is required for Tesla to achieve 14% market share in the U.S., which requires putting in place an approximately similar number of miles of assembly line as Ford?

Quiz question 2 (for the liberal arts crowd): what will the competitive response be from Ford, Stellantis, Toyota, GM, Honda, VAG, MB and BMW in the U.S. if Tesla starts trying to scale the mountain of investment the math whizzes calculated in question 1., above?

Answers due in 24 hours. This is a non-proctored quiz. Good luck.

Ford is used as an illustrative example only.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #147
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:

No matter how you slice it, your argument doesn't have any meaning besides it being filled with emotions, denial and hate for what is to come regardless.
Yah, look at all these emotions in his argument points :
  1. Road trips is the biggest reason why most people I know aren’t getting one right now.
  2. Charging times is the second biggest reason.

Such raw emotion and butt hurt feelings, how can you even stand to come here address these points. It's clearly beneath you.
Appreciate 3
Patton2502939.50
kyriian884.50
      01-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #148
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Yah, look at all these emotions in his argument points :
  1. Road trips is the biggest reason why most people I know aren’t getting one right now.
  2. Charging times is the second biggest reason.

Such raw emotion and butt hurt feelings, how can you even stand to come here address these points. It's clearly beneath you.
We just spent 3 days driving from Ontario Canada to Orlando Fla, 8 hours everyday. with a 5 min stop before pulling into the hotel for the night for diesel. I have zero interest in an EV, I don't worry about planning my route around charging stations, cold weather effecting my range etc. This is a planned trip every winter, also do a drive in the fall to the east coast to visit the middle child 1600KM and a trip to northern Ontario every summer to visit the oldest 1900KM.
Appreciate 4
chassis6554.00
chad86tsi1605.00
kyriian884.50
dizz81311.00
      01-22-2023, 12:13 AM   #149
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
20% to 80% is what - 150 miles range at highway speeds? a 3000 mile race is 20 @ 32 minute recharges, and assumes you spend zero time finding and driving to a fast-charge station, as if they were exactly on your way (like gas stations are). That's almost 11 hours of raw charge time. A gas engine getting 11 MPG on a 18 gallon tank that can be drained to zero and filled to 100% every time. It will get 200 miles to a refill and take 5-7 minutes. Lets calculate with 7, you are looking at 15 fill-ups at 7 minutes, so less than 2 hours. You are going to give up over 9 hours right off the bat, and assumes you never encounter a charge issue of any kind.

If you drove the camaro an average of 100 miles an hour, the Camaro will arrive in 30 hours. The tesla would have to drive an average of 158 miles an hour just to keep up, let alone beat it. Heat management will be harder for the Tesla than the camaro at those speeds, and your tesla has a rated top speed of only 140.

There is a video of a model 3 at the nurburgring crossing the Finish with all kinds of temp alarms on the dash and reduced power, it never hit top speed, and that's only 20 some miles.

Good luck

Quote:
On my three-and-half-day road trip in 1985 from LA to Maryland in Dad's Old's diesel, we filled up 4 times and had a half tank left over when we parked it some 3,000+ miles later in the driveway at home. 7 mins x 4 fuel stops (wait! I can do this one in my head... two 7's is 14... two 14's is... 28) = 28 minutes total refuel time!

Do I win something? An N95 surgical mask from BGM's hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Here’s a math quiz for the whizzes on this thread.

Using round numbers, Ford has ~$35b in property, plant and equipment with a U.S. market share around 14%. Ford’s PPE has considerable depreciation on it, so if more recently acquired would be valued far higher on the balance sheet. The “fair value” of Ford’s PPE is a very large number of land acres, factory square feet and miles of assembly line. Tesla has approx $22b PPE, with U.S. market share less than 2%. Tesla’s PPE is newer in comparison to Ford’s so the current balance sheet value is the relevant comparator.

Quiz question 1: how much investment is required for Tesla to achieve 14% market share in the U.S., which requires putting in place an approximately similar number of miles of assembly line as Ford?

Quiz question 2 (for the liberal arts crowd): what will the competitive response be from Ford, Stellantis, Toyota, GM, Honda, VAG, MB and BMW in the U.S. if Tesla starts trying to scale the mountain of investment the math whizzes calculated in question 1., above?

Answers due in 24 hours. This is a non-proctored quiz. Good luck.

Ford is used as an illustrative example only.

I was told there would be no math.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17313.50
wdb4732.00
chad86tsi1605.00
      01-22-2023, 12:34 AM   #150
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Road trips are NOT even in the top 3 of what people look for when car shopping, hell not even top 5.
Because there is no need to even think about that when buying a petrol vehicle. Being able to conveniently road trip is a forgone conclusion.

There are people who road trip EVs. When shopping for an EV they look at range amounts, charging speeds, and charge curves(more so the latter two). Side note: Taycan with 93.4kwh pack and it's 800v system is the best road tripping EV, charge speed and curve is unmatched.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-22-2023 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 5
chassis6554.00
Patton2502939.50
chad86tsi1605.00
kyriian884.50
      01-22-2023, 01:18 AM   #151
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Because there is no need to even think about that when buying a petrol vehicle.
Evidently you've never seen a mustang gas tank.
      01-22-2023, 01:21 AM   #152
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Because there is no need to even think about that when buying a petrol vehicle.
Evidently you've never heard of a mustang gas tank.

There are ICE cars out there that have ridiculously small tanks for the size/mileage/power of the car, simply a play to try and reduce the weight, but significantly smaller than contemporaries. I don't consider these cars for the same reason, just not practical to be filling up a bunch more times on a road trip or hell, during the week. More of an issue with ICE too, since you can't fill them at home with your gas-line.

Anyway, it's something I do think of and consider.
      01-22-2023, 01:31 AM   #153
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Evidently you've never heard of a mustang gas tank.

There are ICE cars out there that have ridiculously small tanks for the size/mileage/power of the car, simply a play to try and reduce the weight, but significantly smaller than contemporaries. I don't consider these cars for the same reason, just not practical to be filling up a bunch more times on a road trip or hell, during the week. More of an issue with ICE too, since you can't fill them at home with your gas-line.

Anyway, it's something I do think of and consider.
M2 is one of them. But it is a forgone conclusion there are gas stations at just about every corner and exits on freeways. So, no I never once thought about road tripping being an issue with a 13.7 gallon tank while owning M2. I get in and go. Now my Model 3, I have to properly plan my route and stops. Abetterrouteplaner is great for any EV owner who road trips.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 07:18 AM   #154
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Because there is no need to even think about that when buying a petrol vehicle. Being able to conveniently road trip is a forgone conclusion.

There are people who road trip EVs. When shopping for an EV they look at range amounts, charging speeds, and charge curves(more so the latter two). Side note: Taycan with 93.4kwh pack and it's 800v system is the best road tripping EV, charge speed and curve is unmatched.
That wasn't my point.

His sole argument was set on road tripping.

I don't know of any person who has an EV, or is looking to buy one, that it's main purpose for that purchase IS TO ROAD TRIP. A road trip is not even top 3 of what to do with their car, not even top 5. I had my model 3 almost a year now and i don't even have thoughts about road tripping the car. If i ever wanted to road trip, i'd go up in the air instead and fly.

There are tons and tons of people on youtube that actually road trip their model 3 with zero issues. A lot of the really long journeys, it's always the same pattern, THEY GET OUT AND STRETCH, walk around, eat snacks, go to the bathroom. There are not rushing out of their car, filling up with gas, and then running back in the car, launch control out of the gas station just so they can say that pit stop was only 2 minutes and it's so convenient. You're there for 15 minutes on average, 20-25 if you're just casually taking a break.

The whole road trip argument doesn't work. Lots of EV drivers road trip with no issue. The tesla interface is PERFECTION when it tells you where to go for your next supercharger, how much juice you'll need to get there, what % approx you'll be at when you arrive, how many stalls, the KW, yada yada. This is no different than plugging in gas stations along your road trip route. The only difference is the extra 10-15 minutes or so per stop. It's a road trip, it's about enjoying the actual road trip experience. Not cannonball yourself and your family across country to set a record time.

EV will come anyway so no sense in trying to debate this lol