M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

ECU and VIN

Can someone please explain to me why some tuners lock car’s VIN number to a cable/tablet when they tune a car, and some don’t? In short, what’s the difference between OFT tablet which can be reused, and a cable that tuners provide, but cannot be used again because VIN is locked to that cable. Here’s an example. Let say I sold my 2013 M5 and bought a 2015 M5, I can reuse OFT on my 2015 again, but with cable tuning I cannot, and I need to buy new cable. How come?

Thank you

Last edited by WickedBMW; 02-15-2019 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
Can someone please explain to me why some tuners ask for a VIN number when they trying to tune a car, and some don’t?

Thank you
Pretty sure it has to do with the specific ecu on your car, as well as locking the tune to your car.
      02-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennyk. View Post
Pretty sure it has to do with the specific ecu on your car, as well as locking the tune to your car.
If it had to do something with specifics of the ecu, why lock it. Wouldn’t my software be compatible with other ECUs? Same thing with a tune. If a tune is done for my ecu than wouldn’t it cause a damage to another ecu if I were trying to pass it to someone else?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennyk. View Post
If it had to do something with specifics of the ecu, why lock it. Wouldn’t my software be compatible with other ECUs? Same thing with a tune. If a tune is done for my ecu than wouldn’t it cause a damage to another ecu if I were trying to pass it to someone else?
Probably to prevent all of what you just said? Do you don't try to use it on more then one car. I know for a fact there are different Ecus based on build date and they are not compatible with each other. You're buying one license for a tune, not unlimited access. You can buy jb4 or something if that's what you're after.
      02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why some tuners ask for a VIN number when they trying to tune a car, and some don’t?

Thank you
There are loads of different calibration codes for the ECUs and each map has to be linked to the specific calibration code.

Plus as has been said with OFT for example you buy the tablet and get software for one car only.
Appreciate 2
Rennyk.126.50
      02-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
There are loads of different calibration codes for the ECUs and each map has to be linked to the specific calibration code.

Plus as has been said with OFT for example you buy the tablet and get software for one car only.
I just looked at my original question, and I had clarify it. My fault

Last edited by WickedBMW; 02-15-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0