M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

08-30-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
Paul567
Rep
Drives: Nissan Sentra 2005

Question Go-Kart for a beginner

Hi there! I’ve got a question about kid’s go-karts. My son is getting 8. He is so hyperactive that's why I decided to buy him his first go-kart. Does anyone have this toy? I want to buy it for my boy but I don’t know how good and safe it is. I found several brands that are popular and the price is fair. Seems like my boy will like go-kart. But it’s better to read the feedbacks from people who already get it. So what brand would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Thanks everybody to join this conversation, now I'd like to share my opinion. Just wanna add my point after searching. Now there are many offers with fast delivery, warranty, convenient payment services. For example, we found great offers at KidsATVSale https://www.kidsatvsale.com/kids-go-karts/ They are almost the same but there are some differences. We chose Razor Dune electric go-kart due to good feedbacks. It has a powerful motor, it's easy to ride and there's a parents control.
Yeah, my son is into racing and karting so he'd like the gift. We've got a spacious park nearby with smooth runways so there'll be no probs to check it out enjoying the ride! I'm searching for some local clubs now. If my boy likes riding a go-kart, I'll take him to the classes to have fun with friends.

Last edited by Paul567; 09-09-2019 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: extra
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Before buying. if there is an indoor karting facility near you take him there first.
Paul56722.00
xander_g955.00
Rmtt8206.00
      08-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Before buying. if there is an indoor karting facility near you take him there first.
Or outdoor. I'd take your boy several times before you commit to buying. If he likes it then take the plunge.
Appreciate 1
Paul56722.00
      08-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

is there a track near by that he can drive with safety? is he into racing?
      08-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul567 View Post
Hi there! I’ve got a question about kid’s go-karts. My son is getting 8. He is so hyperactive that's why I decided to buy him his first go-kart. Does anyone have this toy? I want to buy it for my boy but I don’t know how good and safe it is. I found several brands that are popular and the price is fair. Seems like my boy will like go-kart. But it’s better to read the feedbacks from people who already get it. So what brand would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
It's hard to say what you want to do. Do you have land and a road, dirt or otherwise, where he can drive it? Has he asked to drive? Does he crawl behind your wheel and make believe?

When you say go-kart to many of us it suggests a serious commitment, many times the family too, and we are not sure if that is what you want. This from someone who has raced karts for now a bit over 50 years.

So, if you want to see if your son wants to race, take him to one of the indoor karting places and they will set him up. I took my friends daughters when they were 7 and 10 and now three years later we still go but now that they are comfortable and think they are fast I get behind them and push them a bit. Fact is they weigh so little that with only a bit more time on track, I will be toast.

If you are a bit more serious, I would look for a local TQ club in your area. This is much more serious, much more expensive (know how much a suit and helmet for a kid costs and how fast they grow out of them) and a much bigger commitment for the family. If you think your kid wants to "race" than that is the place to start.

All this said it is largely up to the kid other than tooling around on a kart or bike in the back 40. My kids never wanted to race (yes I was disappointed) but one did love to be in the back seat for road rally's and ultimately became my navigator and now he's rallying with his girlfriend soon to be his wife. We took him to a track day recently, he's over 30 in my M235i and it nearly scared the <insert whatever you want here> out of him. And they didn't even get going yet. The instructor was a friend and he got out of the car laughing and asking if he had any of my DNA. Interestingly he doesn't. But he does love and do well at the BMW Driving Experience when it comes to town. Go figure.

I can tell you this. If you want him to be a racer, forcing him is not the way to go. OTOH, having him with you and next to you under the car for oil changes and such, makes a big difference.

///Rich

PS-Both my boys had tool boxes set up in the garage. It never took.
Also-You never said where you live. Perhaps we can have some suggestions for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I mean......screw the track and find a runway.

....and if the girl comes with, better get him some rubbers too.

https://www.ebay.com/i/312571056230?...BoCjwoQAvD_BwE

At least the shipping is free.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      08-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I mean......screw the track and find a runway.

....and if the girl comes with, better get him some rubbers too.

https://www.ebay.com/i/312571056230?...BoCjwoQAvD_BwE

At least the shipping is free.
She seems nice.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      08-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

My sister and brother-in-law build and sell Birel karts for the last 25 years in Michigan. Nascar kids, including Danica Patrick have learned on Birel.
Here is the link.
http://www.michianaracewaypark.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Go to a performance oriented track. Yard karts suck..... "fun" karts suck too.....

Then if he likes that and does well you can find a local organization that races and go down that path.

I raced KT100 yamaha's back in the 90's. So much fun....but of course I was in my late 20's.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
Paul56722.00
      08-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Go to a performance oriented track. Yard karts suck..... "fun" karts suck too.....

Then if he likes that and does well you can find a local organization that races and go down that path.
I don't think he ever said what he wanted to accomplish.

Quote:
I raced KT100 yamaha's back in the 90's. So much fun....but of course I was in my late 20's.
By then, the late 90s, I was 50. I started with a McCulloch and a dry Hartman clutch. Talking about tinkering to get it to go fast. I raced then from Daytona in the south and Loudon NH to the north. Big tracks and sprint tracks. Cuddybackville (OVR) NY was my home track. When the Yahama's came it was easier and faster. And everything got more expensive and technical.

I had Richie Cervone build me a custom frame as my legs are a bit long. Got rid of it to a vintage racer two years ago always hoping some kid would come to me and say they wanted to race. My line would have been, have I got something to show you. But alas....

I was never fast but always had a great time. And learned a LOT and made life long friends.

There's nothing like a race kart. You learn it all and then some. If anyone wants to be a road racer, that is the place to start. And they start kids as young as 7 or 8. Quarter midgets is another place for kids if they want to go fast and turn left and the family doesn't want to get up early as road racers do. <G>

///Rich
Appreciate 3
Paul56722.00
Poiseuille5362.00
xander_g955.00
      09-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

IMO, it's not safe for your kid, unless he drives in a controlled environment (a dedicated facility). Plus, he'll learn a thing or two about racing lines and driving smoothly
      01-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Quote:

I don't think he ever said what he wanted to accomplish.

Quote:
By then, the late 90s, I was 50. I started with a McCulloch and a dry Hartman clutch. Talking about tinkering to get it to go fast. I raced then from Daytona in the south and Loudon NH to the north. Big tracks and sprint tracks. Cuddybackville (OVR) NY was my home track. When the Yahama's came it was easier and faster. And everything got more expensive and technical.

I had Richie Cervone build me a custom frame as my legs are a bit long. Got rid of it to a vintage racer two years ago always hoping some kid would come to me and say they wanted to race. My line would have been, have I got something to show you. But alas....

I was never fast but always had a great time. And learned a LOT and made life long friends.

There's nothing like a race kart. You learn it all and then some. If anyone wants to be a road racer, that is the place to start. And they start kids as young as 7 or 8. Quarter midgets is another place for kids if they want to go fast and turn left and the family doesn't want to get up early as road racers do. <G>

///Rich
Poiseuille Jr last season. Bet this looks familiar Rich.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
xander_g955.00
      01-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
well Paul, sorry I didn't notice your OP until now. my son stated in karts when he was 12, transitioning to cars upcoming season. let me know what part of the Country you're in and I may be of some help. pics below are first day in a 2-stroke kart age 13, and first car age 19==>
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul567 View Post

Thanks everybody to join this conversation, now I'd like to share my opinion. Just wanna add my point after searching. Now there are many offers with fast delivery, warranty, convenient payment services. For example, we found great offers at KidsATVSale https://www.kidsatvsale.com/kids-go-karts/ They are almost the same but there are some differences. We chose Razor Dune electric go-kart due to good feedbacks. It has a powerful motor, it's easy to ride and there's a parents control.
Yeah, my son is into racing and karting so he'd like the gift. We've got a spacious park nearby with smooth runways so there'll be no probs to check it out enjoying the ride! I'm searching for some local clubs now. If my boy likes riding a go-kart, I'll take him to the classes to have fun with friends.
this post makes no sense
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      01-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #15
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
this post makes no sense
It almost smells like an SEO spambot post.....
      05-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Frankyv44
Registered
Rep
Drives: e 30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
IMO, it's not safe for your kid, unless he drives in a controlled environment Renégociation crédit immobilier (a dedicated facility). Plus, he'll learn a thing or two about racing lines and driving smoothly
You're absolutely right. And then we have to let the kids learn for themselves.
Appreciate 1
bmpclc7.50
      05-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #17
Sushant Nitin
India
Rep
Drives: kia

When you say go-kart to many of us it suggests a serious commitment, many times the family too, and we are not sure if that is what you want. This from someone who has raced karts for now a bit over 50 years.

So, if you want to see if your son wants to race, take him to one of the indoor karting places and they will set him up.

---------
https://boodmo.com/catalog/3671-bump...9-maruti-alto/
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:11 AM   #18
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I mean, if you're just trying to give him an outlet for hyper energy, wrestling and water polo are much cheaper options
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #19
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
this post makes no sense
Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbestshot View Post
Quote:
this post makes no sense
Totally agree.
since English does not seem to be OP's first language i elected not to be picky regarding syntax or the occasional malaprop involving American idiom. that's why i kept my earlier reply to his questions uncomplicated.
i've also learned not to be judgmental in these situations against the possibility that OP turns out to be fluent in four languages compared to my one and a half.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #21
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

I had several offroad gokarts growing up. Are you looking strictly for racing karts or just recreational fun? The offroad karts can be plenty exciting and offer the benefit of not having to find and pay for a track to drive at. They are also generally cheaper.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0