M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

06-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Help my bro put some rocket launchers on the boat Saturday, then we went for a little drift just outside the harbor and dumped a box of frozen squid in the water.

I caught another White Sea Bass. It was THIS not legal, not even close

When we caught the bats, water temp was 56 or so. Saturday it was 63! Hoping to soon find legal whites in among the bats. The secret, so I'm told, is full moon and 64+
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Help my bro put some rocket launchers on the boat Saturday, then we went for a little drift just outside the harbor and dumped a box of frozen squid in the water.

I caught another White Sea Bass. It was THIS not legal, not even close

When we caught the bats, water temp was 56 or so. Saturday it was 63! Hoping to soon find legal whites in among the bats. The secret, so I'm told, is full moon and 64+
Do you use frozen or live squid (and strip or whole) as bait after chumming those frozen ones down?

I was trying to get on a private charter targeting WSB last month, but the cost keeps me away until I am more confidence about my setup on bass.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #25
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Whole frozen squid right now. In/out/in with the point of the circle hook just showing at the top of his torpedo. Been running that on a dropper loop with about 4oz lead. I went back to "traditional" dropped with the weight on the bottom straight. Had been using the loop upwards for the weight and tying hook to the end of the leader.

We try if we see a mark on the sonar, but haven't been able to hook any fresh squid so far this year.
Appreciate 1
bd307927.00
      06-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #26
amber-katie
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Had a nice catch this past weekend. Caught 19 yellow tail snapper and 1 strawberry grouper. Between 2 people. Couple bonita and lost 2 mackerel (using 12 lb test with no liter).
My husband would be in heaven here! This looks absolutely fantastic mate. Quite a number you've got there.. eey
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #27
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber-katie View Post
My husband would be in heaven here! This looks absolutely fantastic mate. Quite a number you've got there.. eey
Nice! This time of year is fantastic for Snapper, Grouper and Mahi-Mahi in the Florida Keys.
      06-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #28
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Oh, and if you are moving up in a rod selection, consider Seeker. They are made right here in the 'Nard, and they handle any repair claims right here FAST. According to my brother, even the misadventurous tip breakage.

The 'Nard. Great nickname. I was from Camarillo back in the 80's. We called the fine city of Oxnard by the name Cowball. How immature we were. Nice to know you can have some fun with it too.

Anyway, great location: beaches, fishing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #29
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
The 'Nard. Great nickname. I was from Camarillo back in the 80's. We called the fine city of Oxnard by the name Cowball. How immature we were. Nice to know you can have some fun with it too.

Anyway, great location: beaches, fishing.
You weren't one of those dreaded Scorpions, I hope Yellowjacket, class of 84 myself.

Hey, for anyone who appreciates fishing, you should do a search for Chastenation. This teen girl takes special needs kids out fishing every weekend she isn't doing a tournament. I purchased a shirt over the weekend, proceeds go to buy gas for the trips. She recently got Yellowtail to make her a special boat with a deck that allows wheel chairs.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11032.50
      06-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #30
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
You weren't one of those dreaded Scorpions, I hope Yellowjacket, class of 84 myself.

Hey, for anyone who appreciates fishing, you should do a search for Chastenation. This teen girl takes special needs kids out fishing every weekend she isn't doing a tournament. I purchased a shirt over the weekend, proceeds go to buy gas for the trips. She recently got Yellowtail to make her a special boat with a deck that allows wheel chairs.
Thanks for recommending Chastenation!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #31
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW ZCP F82

Nothing but the best:

Shimano Talicas and Trinidads.

Everything else belongs in the rubbish pile.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #32
bd307
Chef
Rep

Have a Trinidad and Torium paired with a Phenix rod. Not quite to the level of a Talica yet, but looking to add that in a year with more offshore experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #33
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW ZCP F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Have a Trinidad and Torium paired with a Phenix rod. Not quite to the level of a Talica yet, but looking to add that in a year with more offshore experiences.
Not a bad start!

Also for 30-50lb Id go with a TA10II with 65lb spectra to 100yrs of 40lb xxx izor. Very comfortable to hold and casts like a Trinidad.
Appreciate 1
bd307927.00
      06-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #34
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

It is so easy to go way deep down the rabbit hole, especially if you're a compulsive hobbyist like me...

I have quite the collection of tackle from the years, ranging from Shimano JDM Conquest 50 to Penn Internationals and everything in between .

I do have to say, my Avet reels get the most use. I've upgraded them with ceramic Boca bearings and consider them the beater reels, but in reality, they are fantastic all around.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #35
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
I've upgraded them with ceramic Boca bearings and consider them the beater reels, but in reality, they are fantastic all around.
Is ceramic bearing upgrade something specific to Avet? Because I would love to do something like that to the two I have now (not Avet) since all I ever do is ocean fishing.

I STILL have a really old (dad gave to me) Penn deep-sea reel that I will eventually get serviced and put back into use. It would be a perfect dropper reel if we ever get into anything over 100'
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #36
bd307
Chef
Rep

I may want to give Avet a try as I only hear good things about their reels, but my heart has been with Shimano mainly because I like how their reels look and feel.

What would be a comparable Avet reel to Talicas?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #37
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
I've upgraded them with ceramic Boca bearings and consider them the beater reels, but in reality, they are fantastic all around.
Is ceramic bearing upgrade something specific to Avet? Because I would love to do something like that to the two I have now (not Avet) since all I ever do is ocean fishing.

I STILL have a really old (dad gave to me) Penn deep-sea reel that I will eventually get serviced and put back into use. It would be a perfect dropper reel if we ever get into anything over 100'
Bearing upgrades are common for all kinds of fishing reels, google "Boca Bearing Company" - they sell bearing sets for various makes/models and have been the go-to brand for fishing reel bearings for many years.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #38
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
I may want to give Avet a try as I only hear good things about their reels, but my heart has been with Shimano mainly because I like how their reels look and feel.

What would be a comparable Avet reel to Talicas?
That would depend on what size Talica you're comparing it to. Avet sells a full range of sizes, for example small Talica 8 would probably compare to an Avet SX. I believe there are variations within each line as well, for example SX is available with standard spool, narrow spool and a Raptor version with increased drag. Some models are 2 speed while others single speed. I believe all Avets are lever drag, non-levelwind reels.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #39
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
We focus on fresh water. My son got his first Smallmouth of the year off our dock this weekend.

Keuka Lake in NY
Very nice fish. Son and I fish Canadaigua a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Frustrating day on "The Hooker" Saturday and yesterday.

Saturday, show up with my bro at 7, and there are already 4 people sitting on his 25' Boston Whaler, aka "The Hooker" Only 2 of them have ever thrown a line in salt water before. We went south due to the winds, spent most of the day drifting around out in front of Neptune's Net, and got nothing. Cruised up to a reef and found some rockfish, put about 15 in a bucket. One guy LOVES rockfish, says they are the best source of fish protein. 9yo puked his guts out after telling us the whole way down he never gets sick. Got to hand it to him though, never a complaint and we go back to the dock at 5:00

Yesterday I scooped my brother up a little past 5 and just the 2 of us headed out. Jetted out to the oil rig where all the light boats were targeting squid. We say huge clouds on the sonar, but couldn't hook a single one. None of the working boats would sell us a scoop either.
After about 1.5 hours we raced out to the gap between Anacrapa and Santa Cruz, tooled a round, marked lots of fish but couldn't land a single one. Toured some serious rock outcroppings that should have held tons of calicos, but no bites. Ran over to Chinese, chummed the shit out of the water with Deans flied out, and dropped frozen squid for the buts. Not even a mark on the sonar.

Finally cruised out to a shelf at about 300' and finally caught a single lizard fish (not sure what it really is) but that was the largest one we had ever seen. My brother landed a single chucklehead. We thought we had hit a spot and were at least going to come home with a few fish tacos.

Today my knees and ankles are killing me. Don't really realize how jarring that little boat and a bunch of morning sickness chop are until the next day.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #41
bd307
Chef
Rep

Heading out to Catalina this Sunday with a chartered boat for the first time this season. Hoping for the best.

I like rockfish too and learnt that those Scorpin are good for sashimi just few months ago from a Korean guy. Tried and not disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #42
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The guy brought a container of ceviche on the boat. We all ate a bunch of it. Figured he was going home to "refresh" the batch with what we caught

Plus, *I* didn't have to clean any
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #43
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Small dorado under patty about 15 miles off Dana Point yesterday. Would not bite anything though. Good sign. Inshore still sucks though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #44
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
Nothing but the best:

Shimano Talicas and Trinidads.

Everything else belongs in the rubbish pile.
the new Toriums are quite nice/smooth.
Appreciate 0