M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

11-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #67
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Not really. Neither LSU nor Alabama are eliminated with a loss and while there are some good matchups, none are really between playoff potential teams unless you think Minnesota is truly a serious contender.

But I agree there are some good games this week through the end of the season.
The argument of whether one would be eliminated doesn't even exist if there is a playoff expansion. The winner might as well punch their ticket to the playoffs.
Appreciate 1
hellrotm4142.50
      11-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #68
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Ba bye to (4)Penn St, congrats to non contender Minn.
Eliminated
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #69
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
Quote:
Not really. Neither LSU nor Alabama are eliminated with a loss and while there are some good matchups, none are really between playoff potential teams unless you think Minnesota is truly a serious contender.

But I agree there are some good games this week through the end of the season.
The argument of whether one would be eliminated doesn't even exist if there is a playoff expansion. The winner might as well punch their ticket to the playoffs.
4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences will never make sense. If you want the regular season to be more meaningful then make the first qualifier to automatically get into playoffs be winning your conference or consolidate into 4 conferences. There will still be selections involved for 3 others to get in but no conference winner misses and anyone who doesn't get selected can blame themselves for not winning their conference.
      11-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #70
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences will never make sense. If you want the regular season to be more meaningful then make the first qualifier to automatically get into playoffs be winning your conference or consolidate into 4 conferences. There will still be selections involved for 3 others to get in but no conference winner misses and anyone who doesn't get selected can blame themselves for not winning their conference.
Then you could get teams in with two losses. For instance, Oregon or Utah could very well lose another game, then win the Pac12 and get in. Having an inferior 5th conference in every year is pointless. No gifts should be given out to any non deserving conference. As it is now, every game counts.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #71
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

My Tigers looking good in the first half but a long way to go...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #72
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

LSU is the true #1.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #73
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
LSU is the true #1.
The way LSU is dominating this very well might be an elimination game for Alabama. Starting to get a LSU vs OSU BCS championship vibe. OSU transfer against his old team.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #74
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
The way LSU is dominating this very well might be an elimination game for Alabama. Starting to get a LSU vs OSU BCS championship vibe. OSU transfer against his old team.
Not over yet...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #75
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bama deserves a playoff spot. Best game of the year so far.
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #76
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
+1!!!!!!!!!!!
      11-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #77
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree they won't be eliminated but what exactly have they done to definitely deserve a spot? Almost win?
      11-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #78
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree they won't be eliminated but what exactly have they done to definitely deserve a spot? Almost win?
LSU moves to #1 rank. Losing by less than a touchdown against #1, Bama is the best of the top 1-loss teams.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #79
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LSU moves to #1 rank. Losing by less than a touchdown against #1, Bama is the best of the top 1-loss teams.
If your perspective is as of today, then you are glossing over the fact that there are actually 5 undefeated teams right now. Granted, I expect Minnesota and Baylor will probably lose but right now they are undefeated.

If you are fast forwarding to the future under the premise both of those teams will lose, then I’m not sure how Alabama definitely deserves to get in under numerous scenarios. What if GA beats both Auburn and then LSU in the SEC title game? Are you saying Alabama gets in over one loss LSU and / or Georgia (or suggesting 3 SEC teams get in)? There will also be teams with better wins than Bama, whose best win this year may be over a 4 loss Auburn later this year if GA beats Auburn. Is that better than a one loss Oregon beating a one loss Utah (or vice versa), OK that beats an undefeated Baylor, or various others?

They are definitely not eliminated and still have a pretty good shot at getting in, but I don’t see how they are anything close to a lock immediately after losing if every game matters.
      11-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #80
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If your perspective is as of today, then you are glossing over the fact that there are actually 5 undefeated teams right now. Granted, I expect Minnesota and Baylor will probably lose but right now they are undefeated.

If you are fast forwarding to the future under the premise both of those teams will lose, then I’m not sure how Alabama definitely deserves to get in under numerous scenarios. What if GA beats both Auburn and then LSU in the SEC title game? Are you saying Alabama gets in over one loss LSU and / or Georgia (or suggesting 3 SEC teams get in)? There will also be teams with better wins than Bama, whose best win this year may be over a 4 loss Auburn later this year if GA beats Auburn. Is that better than a one loss Oregon beating a one loss Utah (or vice versa), OK that beats an undefeated Baylor, or various others?

They are definitely not eliminated and still have a pretty good shot at getting in, but I don’t see how they are anything close to a lock immediately after losing if every game matters.
As of today.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #81
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As of today.
If the season actually ended today, hard to imagine Bama getting in under any system designed with merit in mind since LSU, Ohio State, Clemson and Minnesota are all undefeated, not to mention Baylor. Even within the SEC, GA may have a better claim than Bama at the moment based on quality wins.
      11-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #82
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Baylor will lose 2 of their last three, book it. Starting next week they will get trounced by OK.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #83
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Baylor will lose 2 of their last three, book it. Starting next week they will get trounced by OK.
I don't disagree but they are undefeated today. I also expect Minnesota will lose. But as of today both are undefeated and Minnesota got a solid win on Saturday.
      11-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #84
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Then you could get teams in with two losses. For instance, Oregon or Utah could very well lose another game, then win the Pac12 and get in. Having an inferior 5th conference in every year is pointless. No gifts should be given out to any non deserving conference. As it is now, every game counts.
if you go to 6 teams, power 5 conf winner and 1 at large, or 8, conf winner and 3 at large, you still allow at least 1 other team into the party and you dont have all this other bs of a team like alabama who will finish 3rd, at best, in the SEC getting in over other conference winners. Right now the committee puts way too much stock into the name vs the actual results. Who has alabama beat that they deserve to be in? They will play 2 ranked teams all season, if auburn doesnt keep losing, and they have lost 1 of them.

as it is now, not every game counts. the only games that count are ones vs teams that are arbitrarily ranked at the start of the season. If you want to go with the current system, stop ranking teams until you get to the conference championship weeks. That way you dont get these "top 10" wins vs teams that never should have been ranked to begin with. Im looking at you, LSU vs top 10 Texas.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410798.50
      11-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #85
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
if you go to 6 teams, power 5 conf winner and 1 at large, or 8, conf winner and 3 at large, you still allow at least 1 other team into the party and you dont have all this other bs of a team like alabama who will finish 3rd, at best, in the SEC getting in over other conference winners. Right now the committee puts way too much stock into the name vs the actual results. Who has alabama beat that they deserve to be in? They will play 2 ranked teams all season, if auburn doesnt keep losing, and they have lost 1 of them.

as it is now, not every game counts. the only games that count are ones vs teams that are arbitrarily ranked at the start of the season. If you want to go with the current system, stop ranking teams until you get to the conference championship weeks. That way you dont get these "top 10" wins vs teams that never should have been ranked to begin with. Im looking at you, LSU vs top 10 Texas.
Agree. Alabama may only slide to #4 and Minnesota started too far low to pass them. But if Penn State had beaten Minnesota, Bama would likely slide to #5 because Penn State started higher than Minnesota. Even with a committee, the rankings are susceptible to too heavily weighting Brand Names over actual wins and losses. At a minimum, don't publish rankings until the season is over so you don't have BS starting points.

Power 5 conference winners should get in and then 1-3 at-large selections between runner ups, independents and Group of 5. Want to be sure you get in? Start by winning your division and then your conference. If there is a truly great team that didn't win their conference because there is a second truly great team in their conference, they still have a chance to get in. If a weaker conference winner gets in with 2 or more losses, they will get eliminated by a better team.
      11-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #86
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ba bye to (4)Penn St, congrats to non contender Minn.
Penn State has not been eliminated. If Minnesota wins out and PSU beats both Ohio State and then Minnesota to win Big 10, they would probably get in. At a minimum, they would have a stronger case than Bama with wins against Ohio State and undefeated Minnesota. Now, I don't expect it will play out that way, but PSU was not eliminated this past weekend.
      11-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #87
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Agree. Alabama may only slide to #4 and Minnesota started too far low to pass them. But if Penn State had beaten Minnesota, Bama would likely slide to #5 because Penn State started higher than Minnesota. Even with a committee, the rankings are susceptible to too heavily weighting Brand Names over actual wins and losses. At a minimum, don't publish rankings until the season is over so you don't have BS starting points.

Power 5 conference winners should get in and then 1-3 at-large selections between runner ups, independents and Group of 5. Want to be sure you get in? Start by winning your division and then your conference. If there is a truly great team that didn't win their conference because there is a second truly great team in their conference, they still have a chance to get in. If a weaker conference winner gets in with 2 or more losses, they will get eliminated by a better team.
Exactly. Regardless of who is in your conference, it is always tough to go undefeated in conference play. Most these teams play each other every year and know the gameplan to beat each other because of it. Coaching at the big schools rarely changes, so it really is any given Saturday with a majority of these teams. 1 or 2 losses in conference play is not a true indication, imo, of who is the better team.

people last year thought 1 loss, big 12 champ OU shouldnt get in over georgia, but look what happened when georgia had to face the 2nd best big 12 team? There really is no true measure of who is a better team/conference, so you have to let the conference winners in to see how it plays out.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #88
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Penn State has not been eliminated. If Minnesota wins out and PSU beats both Ohio State and then Minnesota to win Big 10, they would probably get in. At a minimum, they would have a stronger case than Bama with wins against Ohio State and undefeated Minnesota. Now, I don't expect it will play out that way, but PSU was not eliminated this past weekend.
Not happening.
Appreciate 0