M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

11-28-2017, 05:19 AM   #23
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I happen to have owned a F10 M5 2013 and I currently own a 2015 M6 Gran Coupe F06. I must say that while the F10 is probably the more practical and comfortable car for a family out of the two, the F06 is the more exciting and engaging car to drive. My M5 was not a CP car, and as has been said many times throughout the forum the M5 has had revisions to steering and suspension after 2014. Nevertheless the F06 definitely feels sharper, steers with far more precision, and is much less insulated to the road. The F10 felt wallowy and loose underpower while the M6 doesn't. The M6 also feels a lot stiffer and more rigid, but the car is about as comfortable as the M5 F10. With the M5 I could never get the right balance between understeer and oversteer, which is not the case for the M6.

Here in Brazil, the F06 and F10 are sold in closed packages, and while the F06 has the full leather, the F10 doesn't, so there is a vast difference in interior quality.

The M5 F10 is still a pretty good car to drive, so it all depends on what you want. If you need a 4 door car with room of a 5 series in the back, the M5 is the best pick. If you want the best driver car for a sedan between the two, you gotta opt for the M6 GC

Last edited by CarlosM4; 11-28-2017 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

the gap between a used M5 and M6 GC of the same MY/mileage/options/condition is no longer $10k, but is still stubbornly at $8k or so.

That said, I considered both cars, and I ended up with the M6 GC with just 1 reason. The exterior looks. That's the ONLY reason anyone is choosing the M6 GC.

Put it this way, when the F10 M5 came out, I saw it in person, saw it in magazine, there was nothing about the looks that made me say "wow". It was an understated design of the F10 with elements of the last generation M car design put into it (the bumper, fenders).

When the M6 GC came out, the first thing I saw as "WOW"!. When I saw it in person, I got a boner.

Finally, I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen a M6 GC on the road. And I live in SF metro area where high end cars are endless. I see a M5 about once every 2 weeks. Enough said. M6 GC for its rarity and sexy looks.
      11-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I was witholding my opinion regarding the looks but since you mentioned, even the interior in the M6 GC looks nicer. It is a far better looking car. It also feels a lot more exclusive and special than the M5 F10. I do like the F10 a lot, but to my use (I do need a backseat for my son, but he is not tall, so all is good in the F06) the F06 has more than sufficient room.
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      11-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #26
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I was witholding my opinion regarding the looks but since you mentioned, even the interior in the M6 GC looks nicer. It is a far better looking car. It also feels a lot more exclusive and special than the M5 F10. I do like the F10 a lot, but to my use (I do need a backseat for my son, but he is not tall, so all is good in the F06) the F06 has more than sufficient room.
same here... based on my ownership horizon of the F06, the only people I'll be transporting in the back seat are my kids. By the time I'm ready to sell, they'll still be pre-teens. When I have teenagers, I'll probably go to an SUV, and after they can drive themselves, I'll go down to a coupe.
      12-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #27
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

I had a 2013 M5 and i currently have a 2016 M6 GC...... I loved my M5 but the M6 GC wins hands down for me. The GC feels lighter and is also lower and wider. Its also in my opinion....the most beautiful BMW out there and one of the sexiest cars period. Power is the same....mods and tuning is the same, obviously u lose the middle rear seat but who uses that anyway? I hang out with lambo and ferrari guys all the time and my car gets just as much if not more attention than theirs. In the 3 years ive owned my M5 i rarely got a compliment or thumbs up with it but its a daily occurrence with the GC. It just has more presence and even if youre not a car guy/gal, you know its something special and not a "run of the mill" BMW. If u hate too much attention don't get the GC!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      02-14-2021, 04:08 AM   #28
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Regarding M6GC. This was the first time, i would catch a man drooling over my car in a carpark of a shopping centre. A female petrol attendant making compliments on the car on how beautiful it was when paying for petrol. A man coming to me and telling me that I should not even think of using a jet wash on the car unsolicited
      08-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #29
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
NOTE!!! This is not to start an argument! I'm looking to make a switch from this money pit I'm in right now and have a hard time deciding which one to get on the used market.

I'm curious why some of you guys chose the M5 over the M6 GC? I know the GC wasn't available as a 2013 model year car so I know why the "early" adopters got the M5. Just curious what made the 2014 and newer purchasers get the M5 over the GC since the price is not that far apart at that price point. What's another $15K between friends, right?

This is also a question to the guys that purchased them used. 2014 M5s and GCs are ~$10K price difference...if that. This is where I'm at. Simply can't afford a new one and keep both kidneys at the same time.

So, is it the price difference? Looks? Performance? Practicality?

I know the M5 is a bit lighter but from what I understand the GC is a bit quicker. Both look great but I think I'll leaning towards the GC in this regard. Ability to tune should be same? M5 is probably more practical with real rear seats.

Please chime in. I'm really curious why you guys went one way vs. the other...and let's keep it civil.

Thanks!
I have a f13, the gc looks like a hissing cockaroach
Appreciate 0