M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Intakes and performance gains

Some guys go with aftermarket intakes for the sound benefit. I understand that but I'm interested to know whether anyone has achieved noticeable performance gains from aftermarket intakes and, if so, what gains were achieved and how were they measured (eg, same day dyno or 100-200 dragy runs).

Some manufacturers of aftermarket intakes claim gains of up to 30whp but I am yet to come across any customer reviews based on reliable testing. A BMW tuner local to me tells me that the only intakes that show any noticeable gain on his dyno are the project gamma intakes (10-15 wkw). He says the Eventuri intakes show no gain on the dyno. Perhaps they do on the road, but I've seen nothing the confirm of refute this
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Get Project gamma intakes and thank me later. Very noticeable gains when driving in any mode and the sound is unreal!

Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #3
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Get Project gamma intakes and thank me later. Very noticeable gains when driving in any mode and the sound is unreal!

Worth every penny.
Yeah, thanks, I'm leaning strongly in that direction
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
icesupreme
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5s

GruppeM is fun too. I will be selling a used set shortly. Better look than project Gamma for sure. Performance wise I'm guessing no difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

I believe the ~30+ whp gain claims are usually versus stock paper filters *with* the (US-only?) additional carbon filter in place. Versus, say, drop-in K&Ns and no carbon filter the gains are much less. I believe I saw that someone with the RK (similar to proj. gamma) made 15whp more with the RK than drop-ins and carbon delete on a tuned car w/catless DPs.

That said, when your tuner is dyno'ing and testing these intakes, is he blasting a massive amount of air into the front of the car to simulate being at speed? If not, it's not really a good test of intakes.

Last edited by vafan13; 07-18-2022 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:46 AM   #6
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
I believe the ~30+ whp gain claims are usually versus stock paper filters *with* the (US-only?) additional carbon filter in place. Versus, say, drop-in K&Ns and no carbon filter the gains are much less. I believe I saw that someone with the RK (similar to proj. gamma) made 15whp more with the RK than drop-ins and carbon delete on a tuned car w/catless DPs.

That said, when your tuner is dyno'ing and testing these intakes, is he blasting a massive amount of air into the front of the car to simulate being at speed? If not, it's not really a good test of intakes.
Yeah, we have no carbon filters in place here and I guess that is an added restriction in the US. A 15 whp gain over an M5 with K&Ns with no carbon filter is commensurate with the gains the local tuner is seeing with Project Gamma installed in place of the stock set-up without carbon filters. And yes, he runs a gigantic fan on his dyno set-up, so I don't think that's an issue
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #7
Nicks54
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 BMW M3, 2014 BMW M5 CP

I just did the project gamma intakes as well along with their downpipes the sound is unreal and you can feel a decent gain and paired it up with bm3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #8
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks54 View Post
I just did the project gamma intakes as well along with their downpipes the sound is unreal and you can feel a decent gain and paired it up with bm3
Good to know. I'm waiting on the delivery of my PG intakes. Looking forward to the add-on
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #9
jmsaina
Registered
Rep

F10 Cold Air Intakes

Hey guys, I'm currently shopping for some CAI. I dont really care for Performance gain or sound really, as I just want to help the engine breath better and perhaps a little cooler since they run really hot. Has anyone tried the aFe Power Intakes and is it any good do to its design? I know project gammas are good especially because the design with the outside air hitting the filter but is the aFe any good? I am also pairing this with a turbo blanket to help with the temps but any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hi there, I am also interested in the aFe Momentum system:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-76...-intake-system
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 12:23 AM   #11
Banned_n_DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 Comp / 2018 X5M

I can't say enough about MSR intakes!! Quality is second to none, the sound is insane!! George is also great to deal with.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #12
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
From what I've seen / heard.. stock with charcoal delete is the most performance gains wise. If you want best sounding MSR. If you want best bang for buck with sound Project Gamma. If you want Eye Candy Eventuri. I personally just snagged up MSR and love them, can't wait to pair them up with catless downpipes to really awaken this beast!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:13 PM   #13
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus.Static View Post
From what I've seen / heard.. stock with charcoal delete is the most performance gains wise. If you want best sounding MSR. If you want best bang for buck with sound Project Gamma. If you want Eye Candy Eventuri. I personally just snagged up MSR and love them, can't wait to pair them up with catless downpipes to really awaken this beast!
Really confused in the difference between project gamma and msr, I'm assuming the piping is just metal for the MSR's?
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #14
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Another thing is, after fitting these intakes, do you have to remap the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #15
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF10 View Post
Another thing is, after fitting these intakes, do you have to remap the ECU?
No remap needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #16
KurtsM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 w/ DPs, BM3 stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF10 View Post
Hi there, I am also interested in the aFe Momentum system:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-76...-intake-system
I have Momentum intakes with carbon fiber AFE scoops behind the kidney grills.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #17
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
Really confused in the difference between project gamma and msr, I'm assuming the piping is just metal for the MSR's?
Yes, MSR uses stainless steel piping / filters and a velocity stack thats connects to the filters.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #18
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm55 View Post
Some manufacturers of aftermarket intakes claim gains of up to 30whp but I am yet to come across any customer reviews based on reliable testing.
I am not sure what does reliable testing stand for. Is there such a thing?

Ideally you would have the same car, fitted with the different intakes in question, make sure you have the same weather conditions (as much as possible) and dyno the car to get a result and make comparisons.

Even if you did this, how can you be sure the A,B,C customer who submitted a review for the said intakes, had other modifications doe already? e.g aftermarket exhaust or downpipes or ECU or charge coolers etc..?

What I mean is - a cold air intake is a cold air intake. It's nothing complicated. A filter attached to a hose attached to the turbos.

Most designs try to work around BMW's existing snorkel that is quite restrictive with the diameter and the bends etc.

So they fit their filters right behind the mask. And drive long hoses directly on the turbos. However this is not ideal as debris and dust and other stuff can eventually block or penetrate the filter and you end up overheating your turbos only by having a very dirty filter.

Other designs try to create the venturi effect that literally accelerates the airflow through passing the air from a bigger hole ---> smaller hole and trying to create a funnel that does not have 90 degrees angles that will restrict the flow. This is Eventuri and Dinan

There is another approach where they simply use the lower end of the existing BMW filter box to place the aftermarket filter and the hose, kind of combining best of both words at a lower cost. This works too.

Lastly, there are people that simply upgrade their OEM filter with a K&N one without further modifications.

What I am trying to say is air intakes make part of a bigger picture when attempting to overhaul how your engines breaths in and out...

The effort is similar across all solutions. To squeeze a bigger amount of air in the turbo, at a faster rate.

In my opinion the simpler, the better. Where "simpler" is a straight line between the actual airflow that comes from outside ---and the turbo inlets..

Take your pick!!
Appreciate 1