M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
backcountry00
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

M5 Headlight Condensation - Warranty Issue?

Hi all

Picked up a lovely 2012 M5 back in Jan this year from Vines in Gatwick, only 45k on the clock and in immaculate condition. They gave me a warranty also, one of the reasons I bought from MD.

Cars been superb and I love it to bits, but hoping someone out there may be able to shed some light on warranty claims for the dreaded headlight condensation issue.

Near side headlight has started suffering with quite a lot of condensation. There are no cracks or damage to the unit.

I've taken off the topcap, let it dry out, even tried packets of silica gel, but only a temporary cure.
I took the car back to Vines a few weeks back. They had it for the entire day, only to tell me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty and replacement cost would be circa £2.5k….

I emailed BMW UK to ask for their support with images showing problem, only to receive a response basically saying they are very busy and they'd get back to me eventually. In other words, not important to them. This was several weeks back.

My concern is the damage that sustained moisture ingress will do the the headlight unit. With a warranty expiring in January, I don't want to end up with a hefty bill to replace.

Has anyone had any joy getting this issue sorted under warranty? I appreciate that we're talking about a 10 year old car here and a not a new one (where the outcome might be different), but there clearly is a fault with the headlight unit and BMW don't want to take responsibility.

Any thoughts, ideas, or words of wisdom - I'm all ears

Al
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

This is why warranties are worthless, they never want to cover stuff and always find a way out.

I would find a customization shop that only works on high end cars and go from there. They should be able to properly seal it for you. It'll cost you, but less than a new headlight for sure.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #3
backcountry00
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
This is why warranties are worthless, they never want to cover stuff and always find a way out.

I would find a customization shop that only works on high end cars and go from there. They should be able to properly seal it for you. It'll cost you, but less than a new headlight for sure.
Thank you, if anyone knows a firm in south east UK that can sort the seals on the headlight please shout.

If I can't get BMW to budge, I'll pay to get them re-sealed. I just don't want a £2.5k cost to replace an adaptive headlight!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Dig your heels in on this one, its a very common issue.

I had mine change albeit on a F10 535d under the extended warranty before covid, I contributed about £250, if left the water will ruin the electronics etc. My experience of the Vines group is also not great, they refused to refund a deposit some years back after totally misdescribing a used car.

In the meantime drive the car with the top cap removed, this will help clear it up
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2022, 04:17 AM   #5
backcountry00
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Dig your heels in on this one, its a very common issue.

I had mine change albeit on a F10 535d under the extended warranty before covid, I contributed about £250, if left the water will ruin the electronics etc. My experience of the Vines group is also not great, they refused to refund a deposit some years back after totally misdescribing a used car.

In the meantime drive the car with the top cap removed, this will help clear it up
Thanks, I'm preparing for a fight on this one as by all accounts BMW won't be very forthcoming in offering to change the headlight unit. I'm happy to contribute towards it, but BMW need to take some responsibility here.
Now we've got a dry spell the top caps off, so I'll let things air out.
I'll update once I get somewhere with BMW, at least this might give people some direction if they have similar issues!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 03:31 AM   #6
amzi160586
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2004 e46 m3, 2013 f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry00 View Post
Thanks, I'm preparing for a fight on this one as by all accounts BMW won't be very forthcoming in offering to change the headlight unit. I'm happy to contribute towards it, but BMW need to take some responsibility here.
Now we've got a dry spell the top caps off, so I'll let things air out.
I'll update once I get somewhere with BMW, at least this might give people some direction if they have similar issues!
Hey mate, did you get anywhere with BMW on this warranty issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 03:10 AM   #7
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Guess what the drivers side on my 2012 F10 is also water logged these guys appears to have good reviews for refurb, may also be worth looking on Autodoc as prices seem ok for new units

https://www.keepyourcarsafe.co.uk/pr...m-water-damage

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...%2063117271906

Last edited by Taheemr; 11-25-2022 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50