M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #1
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Shock Absorbers

OK this is getting ridiculous..
I know everybody recommends KW suspension for upgraded performance.
But what about simply replacing the OEM shocks because of wear and tear?
What are the options? Apparently none..
So if I wanted to maintain my EDC setup but replace my shocks I would simply have to buy OEM shocks from BMW - which btw are being manufactured by Bilstein, but when you contact Bilstein they don't have anything..
Sachs? Monroe? Koni? KYB? Eibach? HR?

Please don't tell me about KW or Dinan. Not interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Alrock31
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw M5

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF10 View Post
OK this is getting ridiculous..
I know everybody recommends KW suspension for upgraded performance.
But what about simply replacing the OEM shocks because of wear and tear?
What are the options? Apparently none..
So if I wanted to maintain my EDC setup but replace my shocks I would simply have to buy OEM shocks from BMW - which btw are being manufactured by Bilstein, but when you contact Bilstein they don't have anything..
Sachs? Monroe? Koni? KYB? Eibach? HR?

Please don't tell me about KW or Dinan. Not interested.
The ONLY option is to replace from BMW. They are ridiculously expensive though. Like over £1k each!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
The ONLY option is to replace from BMW. They are ridiculously expensive though. Like over £1k each!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 09:13 PM   #5
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
From what i've seen...the best / only available option would be BMW but the amount of money you'll spend in buying OEM parts; I know you said you didn't want to hear it but you might as well buy the KW V3 coilover set as it isn't much a of a difference in price.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #6
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus.Static View Post
From what i've seen...the best / only available option would be BMW but the amount of money you'll spend in buying OEM parts; I know you said you didn't want to hear it but you might as well buy the KW V3 coilover set as it isn't much a of a difference in price.
You are correct. I have been looking everywhere but there is no other reasonable option except from the KW's.

They come at £3k delivered and they include the cancellation kit.

I blame myself only as i rushed to buy the Eibach lowering springs. Perhaps I will fit them after all and buy the KW's later in time..

thank you everybody
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

What's the mileage on it, unless it's really been abused the standard shocks last a long time.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
What's the mileage on it, unless it's really been abused the standard shocks last a long time.
This!!!! They certainly seem to outlast the engines anyway!!!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      12-11-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Mileage is low at 27k, so nothing urgent. And it is a good piece of information to know the standard shocks are of good quality.

However, as time passes by, performance and upgrade parts are becoming more scarce for this car. So if i can buy discounted parts now, I will go for it
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #10
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I recently had to make a call on replacing my front shocks with OE or going KW3. I went the KW3 route (begrudgingly, at the time). Months later, I can happily report that the handling with the KWs is incomparably better than OE. The car feels much lighter and more "planted" and the steering is more direct, I'm so pleased I went this route and I have no hesitation in recommending you do the same - finances permitting, of course. It's an awesome upgrade
Appreciate 2
MarcF10135.00
      12-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
lucid21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp

I am not sure that the KW3 are an "upgrade" are concerned on a car that had MSRP of more than a $100k way back when. People report all sorts of transformations with that swap and my guess would be that: a) placebo effect b) there is indeed an improvement but at some kind of tradeoff most people do not realize or will never experience (high/top speed stability maybe?) c) there is indeed an improvement but it is mainly about adjustability such as camber (I assume KW3 allow for more negative camber up front) rather than quality of shocks or superior damper/spring tuning/matching. Or maybe a combination of the above.
      12-27-2022, 03:31 AM   #12
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid21 View Post
I am not sure that the KW3 are an "upgrade" are concerned on a car that had MSRP of more than a $100k way back when. People report all sorts of transformations with that swap and my guess would be that: a) placebo effect b) there is indeed an improvement but at some kind of tradeoff most people do not realize or will never experience (high/top speed stability maybe?) c) there is indeed an improvement but it is mainly about adjustability such as camber (I assume KW3 allow for more negative camber up front) rather than quality of shocks or superior damper/spring tuning/matching. Or maybe a combination of the above.
It looks like the majority of manufacturers do not produce replacement shock absorbers for this model, at least not anymore.

There are two exceptions to this: First one is the KW and second one are some other manufacturers based in Korea or Taiwan that offer a kind of "replica" coilover kits. You can google them for more details. Their price tag for the M5 coilover kit including upper mounts is in the region of $1000-$1500.

Personally I find the OEM suspension a very good all round setup. But I am not a "fast road" driver. I always use the comfort setting. And I do not push my car to the limits. Never had, never will. Too many risks in public roads. And frankly, the track is not really what this car is built for.

My only comment regarding the OEM suspension is that it feels a little floaty and loose when at +100 mph. This i have seen in motorways where the surface is not always the best. Or whenever I am cruising an open bend. Straight line speeding is OK but again it really depends on how each driver enjoys, and how they feel confident on high speeds.

I would personally like my suspension a tad lower and a tad slower in rebound with better feel and stability. And I know it is the suspension because even if you set it at sport+ you can still feel it sits a bit higher than it should and also that the absorbers behave like stiff rubber balls rather than tubes filled with oil.

When I chose the M5 as a platform, I knew I would be investing on a rigid, solid and compact chassis. And this is 100% spot on under all conditions. The chassis is where you understand the quality and the built of this car. No creaks, no bending, no deforming under durress, no compromise. It handles and balances the weight as it should.

However, given this is a mass production car, the OEM setup of almost every component has to cover a quite broad spectrum of the clients' preferences. The lazy one (like me), the fast roader, the speed junkie, the gung ho youngster etc...so you get 80% of everything but nothing 100% excellent.

Examples from my OEM M5 are - the brakes, the suspension, the gearbox etc

So my mission is to unveil this potential and bring everything closer to the excellent e.g taking the brakes from 80% to 90% should not be that difficult. Same with the suspension.

What is extremely difficult and needs tons of experience and trial is upping the 90% to 95%. But I am not aiming for that.

Hope all this makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
lucid21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp

To each their own. Your car; your preferences.

That said, I am not surprised that you think the car feels "floaty" at high speed if you always drive in comfort mode. I use comfort mode in the city. Around Boston, anything more is too much for just driving around (roads are too rough). But I would put it in a stiffer mode for 100+ mph.
      05-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Hi folks,

I am coming back to this topic as in the meantime I have been looking everywhere for alternatives to OEM shocks.

After exhausting almost every other brand out there, I recently came across a company based in the Netherlands, named INTRAX: https://www.intraxracing.nl/

I exchanged a few emails with Donald Molenaar at INTRAX and they actually do fabricate bespoke shock absorbers/coilovers/springs for BMW cars upon request.

Regarding the M5 - they offer options based on their 1K2 model (which is adjustable in height and damping). They can customise and adjust to your specific needs (street, trackday, race, rally). On top of this they have various add-ons (that you pay extra) like adjustable camber plates, special coatings, anti roll control etc etc.

This kit (without any add-ons) would cost me £3350 including adjustments, fitment, wheel aligning etc at their factory in the Netherlands.

The downside is you have to go there - from where I live it is 310 miles and because I would have to cross the pond it would take me almost 5 hours and 30 minutes. Which in my opinion is very doable.

But the costs would further add up as I would have to consider ferry tickets,tolls, fuel cost and at least 1 night at a nearby hotel plus subsistence etc.

BUT

if you are serious about your suspension setup and wanted to go the extra mile and have it tailored to your spec, then this is the way to go. I can't think about something else.

I wanted to share this for everybody's information as I started the topic and wanted to come up with some suggestions apart from the "standard" KW and Dinan kits.
Appreciate 0