BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
spiff
The Dr
Rep
Drives: M20 Saloon, F800S

M5 Track Upgrades

Had another successful track day in the pig. Rotated the tires the first time since putting 305's on each ocrner- and man this train flies. Was taking Turn 2 at Big Willow around 90-95mph and entering Turn 8 a little above 135.

I'm on the fence but starting to swing my leg over to putting some more $ into the M5 to improve the experience.

Thinking about doing:

- KW v3's w/ EDC Delete
- CSF Charge Coolers
- Turner AxleBack Exhaust
- Dinan Intake

I'm also considering a half-cage so I can put some proper seats up front with 5 point harnesses. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or any of the above mods?

Right now it just has:

- Apex 19x10.5" EC7's
- Dinan Tune
- PFC Race Pads (up front)

Thanks ya'll

- Dan

Or if anyone wants to buy it, then maybe i'll actually get something more dedicated, haha.
Attached Images

M5Rick60015.00
M5_Raz514.00
      01-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Nah don't sell it.
Appreciate 2
m5rosco210.50
fstm5145.50
      01-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
sgsdownhill
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

When I caged my E46 M3, harness and a head/neck restraint was a game changer. Made the car so much easier to drive. I could pay so much more attention all the time. Honestly, on a hot day after lunch it was worth a second or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
spiff
The Dr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Nah don't sell it.
Fine. You've convinced me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsdownhill View Post
When I caged my E46 M3, harness and a head/neck restraint was a game changer. Made the car so much easier to drive. I could pay so much more attention all the time. Honestly, on a hot day after lunch it was worth a second or so.
Yeah- I had a SpecE30 and felt the same, it was just slow as dog.

I think seats w/ harnesses would really elevate the experience. Locking my 3-point seat belt is only doing so much, ha.
      02-01-2023, 05:49 PM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Glad you're back out! I'd buy the lightly used V4s off the classifieds before going v3s for a track setup. I love my V3s but on the track with those fat 305s a higher spring rate would be optimal.

In the suspension dept I'd also recommend the Dinan adjustable sway bars. Run either full stiff, or med front, full rear to further reduce understeer.

I'd suggest the Soul exhaust over the turners. From what I've read the turners have quite a bit of drone, and while the Soul isn't 100% drone free, it's quite good.

Lastly, what are your oil temps like? I'd consider the mishimoto oil cooler before the CSF charge coolers.

Last edited by vafan13; 02-02-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 01:30 PM   #6
spiff
The Dr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Glad you're back out! I'd buy the lightly used V4s off the classifieds before going v3s for a track setup. I love my V3s but on the track with those fat 305s a higher spring rate would be optimal.

In the suspension dept I'd also recommend the Dinan adjustable sway bars. Run either full stiff, or med front, full rear to further reduce understeer.

I'd suggest the Soul exhaust over the turners. From what I've read the turners have quite a bit of drone, and while the Soul isn't 100% drone free, it's quite good.

Lastly, what are your oil temps like? I'd consider the mishimoto oil cooler before the CSF charge coolers.
Good info! Yeah so maybe V4's then eh?

Yeah I'm thinking sway bars would be great as well too.

I really liked Evolves YouTube videos on the temp difference with the CSF coolers- and honestly my oil temp has been fine but it's more for longevity and when it does start to get hot this year.

Already ordered the turners hahaha. Oh well. It's not a daily by any means so I'll live with it.

Thanks for the info!

Now I'm trying to find a shop that is comfortable with installing proper front seats and able to bypass the airbag/seatbelt errors.
      02-03-2023, 10:01 PM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You could try some basic data logging with bimmerlink to track IAT, see if it's actually getting hot on track. You have a tune, so maybe they would be beneficial there.

I suggest the V4s because the springs are linear and a higher rate, I believe, than the V3s.

With the cats still on the car I worry about temperature in the rearward heads and cylinders, which is why I'd want to keep the temps as low as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 10:45 PM   #8
spiff
The Dr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
You could try some basic data logging with bimmerlink to track IAT, see if it's actually getting hot on track. You have a tune, so maybe they would be beneficial there.

I suggest the V4s because the springs are linear and a higher rate, I believe, than the V3s.

With the cats still on the car I worry about temperature in the rearward heads and cylinders, which is why I'd want to keep the temps as low as possible.

So you're saying I should get de-catted downpipes.....
      02-08-2023, 11:07 AM   #9
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
So you're saying I should get de-catted downpipes.....
That would certainly lower the temps! Could even get them coated in Cerakote or some other thermal barrier.