M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
HowardThings
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35d Msport

Dealer screwed up DCT service..

Hi, all. Have an issue and figured I'd come here for advice Took my car (2016 M5 with 56k miles) into the dealer (Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL) to get a DCT drain and fill with filter done yesterday. Got the inspection video today and tech states that he only used 1 liter of fluid… okay.

Called my service advisor and he said they actually used 1.9L and that I was only billed for 1. After doing some of my own research and calling other places, looks like you drain out about 4-5L just from the drain plug alone. They're now telling me that their system says it only needs 1.9L. That quantity may be true but for the true 6 speed manual trans and not the DCT and that's where I'm assuming the confusion is.. They still have the car and they're telling me they'll verify in the morning before I pick it up but can anyone actually verify? All vendors for kits sell 4-5 bottles of fluid and every tutorial I'm reading/watching uses the same amount as well but I'm being told otherwise by the dealer. Not really sure what to do at this point. SA claims they use ISTA to verify the level after I had asked them but one thing I don't like about dealers is that there's always a disconnect between the advisors and techs, and advisors just assume something was done rather than actually confirm. I obviously don't want to risk frying my trans and end up having to do a rebuild. Just looking for some sort of confirmation at this point I guess. Any input as to what to do would be greatly appreciated.
      09-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Something is definitely not done right. I'm surprised the dealer agreed to do this on a "lifetime" fluid.

When I had mine done the shop used ~6 liters with a new pan, gaskets, filter, everything. The kits online have 7 liters, which makes sense.

It's possible that your dealer drained from the overfill plug? In any case, I'd take/tow it asap to a shop that knows what they're doing. Take the loss and move on, that's why everyone says to avoid the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #3
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Well there's two filters and the pan has to be replaced when doing the second filter. Mine took ~6.5 liters (with dropping pan) with most of that going in during the fill procedure. They're not doing the fill procedure correctly. Request a more knowledgeable technician or advisor.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
You posted on FB, I am pretty sure they did the diff fluid. BMW won't do the DCT as per BMW is lifetime fluid and they will only do it if you damage something. Get the dealer service receipt and see what they are actually charging you for
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60001.50
      09-02-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
HowardThings
Private
Rep

Here's the receipt.. they offered the rear diff, I told them not to since I was going to tackle that myself when i put my exhaust on
      09-02-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardThings View Post
Here's the receipt.. they offered the rear diff, I told them not to since I was going to tackle that myself when i put my exhaust on
I saw what you posted on the FB, they replaced the side filter and filled up what came out. So they really charged you what they did. They didn't replace the pan and the bottom filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #7
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Quote:
I saw what you posted on the FB, they replaced the side filter and filled up what came out. So they really charged you what they did. They didn't replace the pan and the bottom filter.
The pan only holds about 1 liter, so they're still missing a lot of fluid.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They didn't replace the pan. If you look at his post on FB, dealer charged him for replacing the DCT filter -> https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/28107842840/

And pretty much filled what was in the filter. No where they claimed they dropped the pan and replaced the pan and pump filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #9
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They didn't replace the pan. If you look at his post on FB, dealer charged him for replacing the DCT filter -> https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/28107842840/

And pretty much filled what was in the filter. No where they claimed they dropped the pan and replaced the pan and pump filter.
I don't have FB, but I did read the OP and the rest of the thread to already know they didn't do anything with the pan. Now, if mine took 6.5l, the pan only holds 1l, then they should have used roughly 5.5l, assuming they drained via the actual drain plug and not just what spilled out from the side filter.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #10
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't have FB, but I did read the OP and the rest of the thread to already know they didn't do anything with the pan. Now, if mine took 6.5l, the pan only holds 1l, then they should have used roughly 5.5l, assuming they drained via the actual drain plug and not just what spilled out from the side filter.
Based on the service perform , they only replaced the DCT filter and filled up. I didn't see anywhere of them claiming draining the fluid. I am pretty sure is big misunderstanding and give that it is lifetime fluid, probably that is only what BMW would do.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
HowardThings
Private
Rep

Update: tech confirmed that he did drain the pan from the plug and only filled with the 1.9L. The dealer admitted fault and redid the service, draining whatever was in there and filling it up again, which this time took 4.5L of fluid. Passed the function tests on ISTA and finally got a good measurement reading.

It was supposed to be a drain and fill from the beginning with the filter being changed. The tech was given incorrect information and that's what led to the screw up.

Best part is, they didn't up charge me for their mistake like how some dealers usually do, so I basically got a drain and fill with a filter for $500. Will be picking up the car in the next hour or so, I'll update you guys in a bit
      09-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #12
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Great news, imagine that was someone who didn't have any idea. Would have killed the DCT and dealer would have blamed someone else
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #13
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Update: tech confirmed that he did drain the pan from the plug and only filled with the 1.9L. The dealer admitted fault and redid the service, draining whatever was in there and filling it up again, which this time took 4.5L of fluid. Passed the function tests on ISTA and finally got a good measurement reading.

It was supposed to be a drain and fill from the beginning with the filter being changed. The tech was given incorrect information and that's what led to the screw up.

Best part is, they didn't up charge me for their mistake like how some dealers usually do, so I basically got a drain and fill with a filter for $500. Will be picking up the car in the next hour or so, I'll update you guys in a bit
Stupid dealers and stupider kid techs
Appreciate 0