Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Feels like something's dragging while turning on the freeway

So I just got my M5 a couple weeks ago and when I'm going around corners at around anything over maybe 40mph I get this slight feeling that something's dragging it almost feels like it's the stability control dragging the front outside wheel slightly. I'm not sure exactly what it is. Anyone ever feel anything like that? I was wondering maybe it's the diff what are the signs that you need to service the diff? I have 78k miles it feels like it's something in the front though. I've already checked to make sure that nothing is physically dragging so it's not that.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Get it on a rolling road to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:28 PM   #3
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Quote:
Haha yeah the F1 teams pretty weak this year so might as well take some of there rolling road wind tunnel time away to throw the M5 on there lol I'm not too sure what you mean by a rolling road besides the ones F1 teams use to test their cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:51 PM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSauberF1 View Post
Haha yeah the F1 teams pretty weak this year so might as well take some of there rolling road wind tunnel time away to throw the M5 on there lol I'm not too sure what you mean by a rolling road besides the ones F1 teams use to test their cars.
No kidding mate, some members put their cars on a rolling road to check hp and performance and it could bring your fault up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No kidding mate, some members put their cars on a rolling road to check hp and performance and it could bring your fault up.
Do you mean like a dyno? If so it's nothing that would show up there. I only feel the dragging sensation whilst turning slightly mainly while off throttle I'm not sure I really feel it at all while I'm on the throttle. That's why I was wondering if maybe it was the diff I've never had a car with a high end diff like these M5's have. I had a 2015 Audi S4 before but I didn't have the dynamic diff or whatever Audi calls it I just had the normal Quattro and whatever the standard diff that comes in it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 02:48 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean like a dyno? If so it's nothing that would show up there. I only feel the dragging sensation whilst turning slightly mainly while off throttle I'm not sure I really feel it at all while I'm on the throttle. That's why I was wondering if maybe it was the diff I've never had a car with a high end diff like these M5's have. I had a 2015 Audi S4 before but I didn't have the dynamic diff or whatever Audi calls it I just had the normal Quattro and whatever the standard diff that comes in it is.
Yes a dyno. All you can do is check when the last diff oil change was, should be around 25k miles and also inspect the diff security brackets to be on the safe side if you feel it could be diff related.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
M5Noob
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Garage List
2016 M5  [0.00]
Could be a wheel bearing, brake pad dragging ect.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 08:31 PM   #8
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Noob View Post
Could be a wheel bearing, brake pad dragging ect.
Ahh I didn't think about that it does seem to be slightly out of alignment in front like under hard braking it pulled to the right slightly once on me and when your on the freeway it slightly pulls to the right I wonder if that is just alignment or if my wheel bearing or a pad was dragging that may cause that too. I've never really heard of a pad dragging is that something that ever happens with these cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:44 AM   #9
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
So I just got my M5 a couple weeks ago and when I'm going around corners at around anything over maybe 40mph I get this slight feeling that something's dragging it almost feels like it's the stability control dragging the front outside wheel slightly. I'm not sure exactly what it is. Anyone ever feel anything like that? I was wondering maybe it's the diff what are the signs that you need to service the diff? I have 78k miles it feels like it's something in the front though. I've already checked to make sure that nothing is physically dragging so it's not that.

Sounds like a brake pad / caliper issue
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:46 AM   #10
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
Quote:

What do you think it is that's wrong with the pad and what can I do to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:49 AM   #11
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
Quote:

What do you think it is that's wrong with the pad and what can I do to fix it?
The only reason why I mention this is because I've had this issue (on a completely different car) I've had it on my 2016 suburban and this sensation happens when the caliper piston starts acting out, then I hear a loud thud and it stops dragging the rear tire

Now I'm not saying this is ur issue I'm just giving my past experience with this sort of scenario, could it be something completely different then what I'm talking about ? Sure but again it sounds brake related

I'd say look into your calipers and see if anything is getting stuck , I'm sure you can tell by brake wear
Appreciate 0