M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Closed Thread

01-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Smile OpenFlash v2 Calibrations Sneak Peek

Since the weather has been so rainy here lately, I spent another full day testing our new v2 calibration on the dyno. Seems like it is only place we can run the car at WOT safety. As before, the car is our 2015 F10 M5 Competition. No mods other than OFT tune and Ti cat-back sound (only benefit is weight savings and sound). Still running STOCK intakes, STOCK downpipes, etc. All testing on 93oct. All pulls in 5th gear (DCT).

Here are some consecutive runs showing run to run consistency:

And here are those runs compared to the stock baseline of the same M5 Competition. Non Competitions make a bit less power when stock so the difference between stock and tuned will be even greater.

Compared to the previous dyno graphs shown a few days ago, here's a few things I did today on the dyno:

-Widened the window of peak power (>630whp) by increasing torque in the 5000-5500 range as well as reduced the amount of torque taper at high RPM. This was actually done by lowering the boost a bit up top. If you try to run over 21-22psi of boost at high RPM with stock cats/exhausts, the turbos tend to choke up and power starts to roll off.
-Brought rev limiter back to stock 7250rpm instead of 7400rpm like with previous OTS tunes. Power curve is already so fat and useable, there really wasn't any reason to rev the engine out any higher.
-Modified pre-spool turbo tables to give more immediate boost response. We can pull this off successfully now due to the new method of controlling boost which pretty much makes boost spikes a thing of the past.
-Enriched AFR tables a bit more at high RPM to aid in in-cylinder cooling for those who fancy a top speed or two. AFR targets are as rich as 11.4:1 up top.
-Limited permissible torque output in 1st gear by nearly 40%, second gear by 30% and 3rd gear by 10%. Full torque from 4th gear and up.

Had a small window of time where roads on the highway were dry enough for some pulls. Yeow.... it's fast. Engine feels very unstrained and just keeps pulling and pulling. Our goal was to make the M5 feel like a rev-happy naturally aspirated M engine (but one with a torque plateau of 600lb-ft). Nailed it. So easy to drive and modulate with the throttle. Compared to conventional tunes that run maximum boost and let the ECU dial things back based upon knock activity, this one is as stable and consistent as one can hope for. In the upcoming days, we will be testing this tune in a non-competition M5. And shortly after that, we will release it to customers. Can't wait for you guys to try it!

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 3
      01-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Monte Carlo Blue M5

Counting the minutes!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Sounds amazing!! Thanks for the update!! Cannot wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
-Widened the window of peak power (>630whp) by increasing torque in the 5000-5500 range as well as reduced the amount of torque taper at high RPM.
Is this safe for our engines to run such a number? I mean 660-670 whp is a very aggressive number here. I'm no expert but if this is safe and durable in the long run then it is interesting.

Quote:
-Limited permissible torque output in 1st gear by nearly 40%, second gear by 30% and 3rd gear by 10%. Full torque from 4th gear and up.
I'm interested to know more about this. Can you explain more please? Because if I tune my car I don't want to worry about my clutches slipping. My aim is to have my clutch last for at least 2 years without slipping.

1) What about fuel supply and cutout. From what I know non-CP cars have different fuel pumps and tend to cutout on high fuel pressures. Specifically the 2012/13 models (Pre-LCI and Non-CP).

2) What is the highest achieved boost value (at any point). Does it cross the 22psi barrier? Because that's the limit of stock turbos.

3) What are your thoughts and expectations on the numbers (whp/tq) for a car with catless DPs?

4) Also, are your posted values "corrected" or "uncorrected"?

5) What is the expected 100-200 time?

Thanks Shiv!

Last edited by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE; 01-16-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 04:39 AM   #4
yehm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Can’t wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #5
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Excellent looking Graphs Shiv.

I have my car booked on a Rolling Road Day on Saturday 19th January so it would be good to see it on a UK Dyno.

There is another M5 going with a Bootmod3 map so it would be good to show him a proper map!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Rafik, Can you hold off some of these questions till we get our tune bud? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somy6 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Why would I hold my questions if I'm interested to know more information about the tune itself and how it affects the car?

If I'm willing to purchase something, then it is my right to know what it does and what it is capable of, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know I'm just playing. I have the tune as well as many others and it's great! Car feels much faster yet smooth as factory tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Why would I hold my questions if I'm interested to know more information about the tune itself and how it affects the car?

If I'm willing to purchase something, then it is my right to know what it does and what it is capable of, correct?
Its OK RAFiK he is only having fun

Its his sense of humour which I totally understand but you didn't get.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:50 AM   #11
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
It's alright no worries
I guess I tend to be more serious sometimes.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      01-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sub'd

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yup! I tried all the tunes I think Shiv had. Currently running the 93 octave full torque map which is crazy power.

I personally enjoyed the lesser torque map I felt my car maybe choking a but at higher rpms due to oem cats.

Extremely excited for the V2 especially the boost by gear. It really sucks knowing I can't ever floor 1st 2nd or 3rd gear or its Tokyo drift all over the place.

I was out playing with a few friends we had some 720s, huracan, 1300whp vetted etc.. my friend with FB0 2018 M3 +meth was neck to neck with my first tune. Last time we ran on this full torque map he didnt even see me.. lol

My car made 653whp and 681tq nothing but openflash
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      01-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #14
ByronUT_M6
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Sakhir Orange M6

Sub'd, looking forward to this map being released!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
OpenFlash

Waiting for you Shiv to reply to Post #3 buddy

Appreciate your hard work buddy
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds amazing!! Thanks for the update!! Cannot wait!!!

Is this safe for our engines to run such a number? I mean 660-670 whp is a very aggressive number here. I'm no expert but if this is safe and durable in the long run then it is interesting.

I'm interested to know more about this. Can you explain more please? Because if I tune my car I don't want to worry about my clutches slipping. My aim is to have my clutch last for at least 2 years without slipping.

1) What about fuel supply and cutout. From what I know non-CP cars have different fuel pumps and tend to cutout on high fuel pressures. Specifically the 2012/13 models (Pre-LCI and Non-CP).

2) What is the highest achieved boost value (at any point). Does it cross the 22psi barrier? Because that's the limit of stock turbos.

3) What are your thoughts and expectations on the numbers (whp/tq) for a car with catless DPs?

4) Also, are your posted values "corrected" or "uncorrected"?

5) What is the expected 100-200 time?

Thanks Shiv!
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE

Torque is what tends to break engines/bend rods. We're taking an approach that deliberately limits TQ to at or under 600 ftlbs. HP is only a measure of how FAST the work is occurring.

Keep in mind -- we drive/test our dev' vehicles HARD. These are not glory numbers just for publishing results. We test relentlessly on the street. With a well maintained car, we haven't experienced any issues so far.

We actually have a track day Monday where we'll really put this M5, other OFP tuned BMW F-Series cars, and our Ferrari 458, to work! Real world results.

1. We don't manipulate the fuel pressure targets. Haven't found a need to do so. Fuel pump is only working as hard as BMW intended from the factory.

2. We run a max of ~20.5PSI at redline. In the mid-range we're only at ~13.5PSI. We have not yet found a need to go higher than ~21 psi max.

Note: The stock turbos will generate more boost if you desire -- understanding how the tables work, and making the correct changes to achieve that goal is what can be hard. We've invested 100's of dyno hours in understanding exactly how this ECU works; as you may have noticed.

Going higher than ~15 PSI boost in the mid-range will most likely contribute to accelerated engine wear = tons of TQ --- we've tested just north and south of 700ftlbs in our dev' car.

3. Catless DP just aren't necessary in our testing. This day in age, it just isn't a viable solution because in our testing no power restriction exists from the OEM CATs.

Without the CATs, there'd maybe be improved spool up, but honestly -- WHY? We can generate over 600 ftlbs of TQ @ 2.5K RPM ... Again; anything more could attribute to accelerated engine fatigue, and only results in excess wheel spin =

NOTE: We are working to MAINTAIN street legal compliance, and have submitted our application with CARB/EPA which has the potential to make the OFT fully smog compliant.

4. If you look at the top right of the graph, you'll notice we use the same correction every other vendor has opt'd to use. STD at smoothing value of 5.

5. We'll be testing as soon as this rain clears up! We won't speculate on these numbers. --- We'll post actual results.

~Anthony

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-17-2019 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey Shiv,

Just confirming, V2 will have the limited boost by gear to help with wheelspin?

Some of us are in States where its 65 degrees out right now and 0 rain

Why not spread some love out to testers??
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OpenFlash

Waiting for you Shiv to reply to Post #3 buddy

Appreciate your hard work buddy
Quote:
Hey Shiv,

Just confirming, V2 will have the limited boost by gear to help with wheelspin?

Some of us are in States where its 65 degrees out right now and 0 rain

Why not spread some love out to testers??
Yes!! More accurately -

... It will have TQ management per gear ... boost by gear isn't really a thing in the OEM ECU.

We'll get file service out to some customers once we've completed our in-house testing for reliability and repeatability; oil samples out to blackstone ... etc. Actual analytical data.

~Anthony

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-19-2019 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes!! More accurately -

... It will have TQ management per gear ... boost by gear isn't really a thing in the OEM ECU.

We'll get file service out to some customers once we've completed our in-house testing for reliability and repeatability; oil samples out to blackstone ... etc. Actual analytical data.

~Anthony
Hey Anthony, let me put it this way bud.. if we dont get our hands on this soon we will take this riot to the streets of San fran and I'll give out your number so you get a hundred calls a day about V2

Not a threat just a passionate reminder as I speak for the people lol
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      01-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I keed I keed, we love ya guys long time! Lol

Just need that tune though..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We're targeting a v2 release at the end of next week. We'll be finishing up our last bit of dyno work early next week.

-- We track tested an M2, M3 and M5 at Thunderhill on Monday (more on that in another thread) and are working through the nuances of road testing through this week.

This is a TENTATIVE timeline -- Just want everyone to know where we are in development

~Anthony

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-24-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
Closed Thread