M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #1
Endless Summer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 Competition

What are the 5 things every new F10 owner should do?

Hey Fam -
New to F10 world, long (long!) time car and forum whore.
My experience is that the fastest way to where you want to go is on the backs of the collective experience.

What are the 5 things you think every F10 M5/6 owner should do when they pick up a new (to them) car?

Example:
"change the plugs and coils, install XYZ bar, buy ABC diagnostic cable, buy ... brake pads and insert name air intake"

What's the 5 things that give the most quality of life, enjoyment, reliability, etc on the F10 chassis? (can include tune if that's a top 5).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Summer View Post
Hey Fam -
My experience is that the fastest way to where you want to go is on the backs of the collective experience.

What are the 5 things you think every F10 M5/6 owner should do when they pick up a new (to them) car?

Example:
"change the plugs and coils, install XYZ bar, buy ABC diagnostic cable, buy ... brake pads and insert name air intake"

What's the 5 things that give the most quality of life, enjoyment, reliability, etc on the F10 chassis? (can include tune if that's a top 5).
Quote:
Hey Fam -

Example:

Definitely a full fluid change or atleast an oil change,

Check spark plugs, coils etc.

I'd definitely invest into BIMMERLINK as it's an easy way to diagnose any issues you might ever run into

Check all fluid levels as well, coolant for turbos/engine etc

Get yourself some catless downpipes
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Pull the plastic engine cover off and check for signs of coolant leakage from the lines going to the turbos. Check *both* coolant levels, especially the passenger side one, as that does not have an electronic sensor. Do an oil change and while you're down there, look for leaks from the oil and trans cooler lines and pans for each.

If you're going to check the plugs I'd just get new ones (along with new coils). It's not the quickest/easiest job so if you're pulling them, might as well put new ones back in.

As far as upgrades, for me the Dinan sways made a huge difference in making it feel less like a boat. For M car parts they aren't that expensive and if you're at all used to doing work on cars they aren't hard to install.

Last edited by vafan13; 07-13-2022 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Hear's my 2 cents (in this order)

1 - Perform an oil change and submit a sample to Blackstone for an analysis report. This will give you a baseline on how healthy your engine is. Use the report to develop a schedule for oil changes in the future.

2 - Perform any required maintenance work that's either close or overdue. If you have excessive squealing from the brakes, swap out the pads for CarboTech 1521's

3 - Consider an aftermarket warranty. Check the forum threads for who to go with. There's plenty of info out there.

4 - Consider a professional detail including ceramic coating and PPF the front bumper, fenders and hood. This is my only regret that I didn't do on my car. It's time to repaint the front bumper which will cost roughly about the same as if I did those items mentioned above.

5 - Last but not least. Enjoy the car in its natural state before doing any cosmetic or performance modifications. I have plenty of mods, but I took my time and strategically mapped out what I wanted.
Appreciate 1
co_pa223.00
      07-14-2022, 04:28 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Don't know about five things but car should have history with it so if oil was done recently there's no need to change just for the hell of it. What grade you use is a difference of opinion on here but I stick to 0W40 Edge A3/B4 rating or others with the same. It doesn't have to say BMW approved on it.
Ppl tend to change plugs too frequently when there's no need, its a tricky job and mine were not changed until 40k but then I don't hammer mine a lot of the time but if it's tuned then you will have to change them more frequently with a more reduced plug gap from the standard 0.032.
Think twice before changing DCT fluid as it's for life, change diff oil every 20-25k and don't forget the air filters. Coolant in both reservoirs change at 100k with distilled water and BMW a/freeze with 50/50 mix.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 04:45 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Brake pads and discs are self explanatory and they don't have to be original but being OEM approved helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #7
pleadbymail
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Brake pads and discs are self explanatory and they don't have to be original but being OEM approved helps.
I had the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality when I bought my car. I'd definitely reference the service history if given. Otherwise just enjoy and drive. Kinda hard to pinpoint "5"

You may be getting a car with worn brakes or tires, or the wipers are shot… make a check list for yourself the same as you would for a Camry.

My car had weak cool ac which I believe is a bad condenser, maybe I'll address it one day.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      07-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
Endless Summer
United_States
Rep

We're missing the spirit of what I was after here. This has turned into a maintenance thread.

What I'm trying to get after is: "what are the 5 best things you can do to maximize your F10 M5 experience"

What are the must have mods? What makes driving an M5 the most rewarding ?

I've got new plugs, coils, brake (pads) and no codes.

I'm hope to skip the learning curve and maximize my experience. What should I buy / do first? What coding mods are most rewarding? What is the go to tune? What suspension or cooling mods are must have?

Etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleadbymail View Post
I had the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality when I bought my car. I'd definitely reference the service history if given. Otherwise just enjoy and drive. Kinda hard to pinpoint "5"

You may be getting a car with worn brakes or tires, or the wipers are shot… make a check list for yourself the same as you would for a Camry.

My car had weak cool ac which I believe is a bad condenser, maybe I'll address it one day.
My condenser went on a day it was 33C shortly after I bought it, thankfully the BMW warranty had another month to two to go and the dealership replaced it no problem and charged it up with no further problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:25 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
We're missing the spirit of what I was after here. This has turned into a maintenance thread.

What I'm trying to get after is: "what are the 5 best things you can do to maximize your F10 M5 experience"

What are the must have mods? What makes driving an M5 the most rewarding ?

I've got new plugs, coils, brake (pads) and no codes.

I'm hope to skip the learning curve and maximize my experience. What should I buy / do first? What coding mods are most rewarding? What is the go to tune? What suspension or cooling mods are must have?

Etc.
You did mention plugs, coils,pads etc in your first post mate.
Appreciate 1
fstm5145.50
      07-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Nobody here missed the point, they all followed your example. Why don't you do the research on the mods you want instead of following others?

Mods are about preference. I love catless downpipes but the next guy hates them due to the smell, etc.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60013.50
fstm5145.50
      07-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #12
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

First, maintenance. Service it even if the previous owner did it last week. This way you will know the oil/plug/coils are fresh and will remain problem free.

Second, Remap. Stage 2 (so map and decat) is my preference. This really wakes the car up and turns it into a supercar eater.

Lower it a bit. KW HAS springs get my vote. These can be adjusted to give whatever ride height you desire, yet retain the electronic damper control.

Fit Michelin PS4 tyres.

If the car isn't a competition pack car, a comp pack anti roll (sway) bar makes a massive difference to how the car corners.

Bimmerlink and Bimmercode a very handy apps to have to check and clear codes, and code things to your liking and only require a cheap dongle and an app.

Get the car properly detailed and ceramic coated.

Intakes don't really offer any performance gains, but do offer more noise and better looks but this is all subjective.

The stock exhaust sound really good when coupled with decayed downpipes. If you do change the exhaust then an Akrapovic is the best you can do! It's just loud enough without being too loud, gives a really nice exotic tone and does not drone! If you keep the stock exhaust consider changing the tips to something beefier as the stock ones are a bit pathetic!

Sorry that's more than five!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #13
Endless Summer
United_States
Rep

Love that ^^

That is the spirit of what I'm after.

Car is a comp, new plugs and coils, new PS4s (265/295), stage 1 (dyno comp custom tune here in AZ), full clear bra front end + ceramic.

Seems like I'm half way there so far!

Nervous about stage 2 and decat - I have a long history of "tune it til you ruin it". Don't want that experience here.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #14
MFM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

1. Blackstone Labs oil analysis
2. Plugs and coils if 20K miles have past since last change
3. Soul resonators to replace mufflers (or any exhaust mod because stock sucks)
4. MMI CarPlay
5. KV3 coil-overs (good to do at 50,000 miles or so vs. replacing stock struts; you will not miss EDC)

Last edited by MFM5; 07-18-2022 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #15
Endless Summer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFM5 View Post
2. Plugs and coils if 20K miles have past
3. Soul cat back (or any exhaust mod)
4. MMI car play
5. KV3 coil-overs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFM5 View Post
2. Plugs and coils if 20K miles have past
3. Soul cat back (or any exhaust mod)
4. MMI car play
5. KV3 coil-overs
Recommendations on #4?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:07 PM   #16
MFM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Quote:
Recommendations on #4?
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit

$699 for Apple or Andoid kit. I had it installed for $150.
'09 Black Challenger SRT -- sold | '98 Artic Silver M3 -- sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #17
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
Love that ^^

That is the spirit of what I'm after.

Car is a comp, new plugs and coils, new PS4s (265/295), stage 1 (dyno comp custom tune here in AZ), full clear bra front end + ceramic.

Seems like I'm half way there so far!

Nervous about stage 2 and decat - I have a long history of "tune it til you ruin it". Don't want that experience here.
seconding vafan13 that one of the best mods are dinan sways. completely changed the handling dynamics. coming from an f80 zcp it balanced the comfort inherent in the larger platform with some of the sharper turning and ride characteristics.

also, i agree w/ you, over-modding is a personal trait and have set my tolerance level at stage 1 w/ intake and exhaust. this car doesn't need stage 2 to be a fucking riot to drive.

mmi is on deck to be my last mod. would have done it by now but eyeing a g80 purchase first.
      08-21-2022, 01:41 AM   #18
TaboutWEALTH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Hear's my 2 cents (in this order)

1 - Perform an oil change and submit a sample to Blackstone for an analysis report. This will give you a baseline on how healthy your engine is. Use the report to develop a schedule for oil changes in the future.

2 - Perform any required maintenance work that's either close or overdue. If you have excessive squealing from the brakes, swap out the pads for CarboTech 1521's

3 - Consider an aftermarket warranty. Check the forum threads for who to go with. There's plenty of info out there.

4 - Consider a professional detail including ceramic coating and PPF the front bumper, fenders and hood. This is my only regret that I didn't do on my car. It's time to repaint the front bumper which will cost roughly about the same as if I did those items mentioned above.

5 - Last but not least. Enjoy the car in its natural state before doing any cosmetic or performance modifications. I have plenty of mods, but I took my time and strategically mapped out what I wanted.

My brakes definitely squealing and they're fairly new oem pads, are the carbotechs the overall best option to stop this? what causes it?
Appreciate 0