Please remove

Last edited by mastatikle; 11-26-2019 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Resolved
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Only way to be sure is to turn it over by hand, pull want you need to get to the crank bolt and grab a breaker bar and a socket (22mm if memory serves but double check) and see how hard it is to turn over.(clockwise only) It shouldnt require a great deal of effort with a 20"+ breaker bar and feel nice and smooth. If it's taking a great deal of effort or if feels rough like shot bearings, next step is to pull the pan and visually check the bearings. If the oil pump failed there might be scoring on the cylinder walls that you could check for with a borsecope too
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
I was driving on the highway Saturday night got on my car a little, like 100-140. From 4th to 5th. I backed off and then the car went from 7th to N and shut off. I pulled over on the side of the highway and would only get clicks when I tried to start it and it said “low battery”. Eventually I got it towed to my place and jumped it with my truck. It started and ran for like 3 seconds and died again. I haven’t been able to get it running since. When I got home Saturday night I though the worst, like I seized the engine or blew something, but then I got it running so I was like “oh then it’s nothing serious”. But I spent all day today trying to get it running again and the best outcome I got was the starter spinning the engine very slowly. Not fast enough to fire it. I have no idea what it could be. I bought a new battery, tried adding extra grounds, everything I could think of. I’ve never heard of an engine seizing up and then running again and then seizing up again. There’s no codes, except like low voltage. No drivetrain malfunction or any fuel/spark issues. So I have no clue why this thing won’t start. Also car is maintained really well. Has 77k miles on it. I get the oil changed every 3k. And have only 2k on the oil in it.

Fuel pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I agree that is is fuel pump related as I remember ¹when my car was brand new it did the same. but I did get a dtm code. im lucky I had just turned the corner from my house and was able to limp home. they changed mine and and no issues related to that again. what year is your car. mods etc?

Country run
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

As suggested, check the crank turns freely. It is possible that when the engine cooled the offending components let go allowing the engine to turn over again.

What did the engine sound like when you got it running?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Please remove
Do you mind sharing how this was resolved?
Appreciate 0