BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Considering purchasing an F10...

I'm looking for a car that I can enjoy driving but will also be comfortable for a monthly 4.5 hour trip (one way).

I sold my Hellcat (which was great for this) and am currently driving my 2013 335i Xdrive. My complaint about the 335 is the seats, just not very comfortable to me. Ok for going to work and back but I don't want to drive this car on a 4.5 hour trip every month.

I've driven a 2014 and 2016, both non-comp with Executive package and the upgraded stereo. Two things I am not crazy about. First, the DCT, just doesn't seem like it fits. I wish it had the ZF, but it's not a deal breaker.

Second, is that road noise from the tires. When on the interstate, if the road is smooth, the car rides great. However, when I am on a not so smooth portion of road, I think the noise is excessive. Is this something I can overcome with some nice tires, or is it a function of the suspension? I had the suspension in comfort and it was comfortable, just a lot of noise.

Otherwise, the seats I thought were great and it has all the bells and whistles to make for a great car to put some miles on.

Any other inputs/thoughts/warnings are much appreciated, I don't know much about this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #2
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

I bought my 2013 F10 M5 with about 48k miles about a year ago from a private seller. The seller was very candid and provided a full BMW maintenance history and Carfax report. The only mods were a Meisterschraft exhaust with remote valves and black BMW wheels.

At 6k miles, the car had an EKP control unit failure (fuel pump controller) and a turbocharger cooling system failure at 23k miles - both replaced under warranty. The previous owners took it in for brake noise several times. Some red flags.

I knew this was not the best history, but decided to give it a gamble since the price was really great and I do most of my own work. A year later, I still don't see any 2013 M5s for the price I paid at the mileage it had.

I decided not to risk anything beyond a custom Jordan Tune on my setup. The car has plenty of power with the tune.

I changed the brake rotors and pads myself. There was some noise at slow speeds when I got the car, but the new rotors and pads fixed that issue.

The seats are super comfortable for long drives. The DCT grew on me and I now prefer it over the 6MT. The road noise is not there for me with all the sound deadening. This is mainly a tire issue though.

The downside is the car feels heavy and sluggish in Comfort throttle mode. You should keep it in Comfort mode for 5-6 miles and until the engine is at operating temperature. At Sport or Sport Plus mode, the car feels like a different car entirely. Fast, responsive, and itching to go all-out.

If you don't plan to get your elbows dirty, I wouldn't recommend anything but a spotless, trouble free car, or a non-M car entirely. The cost for parts alone is higher than many other cars today.

I have not had any issues since I owned the car. As long as you maintain it properly, these cars are great for what you are looking for. It is almost like having two cars in one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Just curious, why not get another Hellcat or if it was a great car why sell it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Just curious, why not get another Hellcat or if it was a great car why sell it?
Sold my 2 door Challenger Hellcat to get into a 4 door car. Just doing my due diligence and looking at everything before I jump into another Hellcat. Thought I was going to buy a F80 M3 but, after driving a few, it's just not my thing.

I ran across a low mile 2013 F10 for a very good price, which is the only reason I am considering it. I have an incredibly good offer on my F30 from Carvana surprisingly, so I'm looking to get out of it and get into something more comfortable. Hellcats are still holding very inflated prices right now, so I'll wait until that market corrects before I get another one.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
I've driven a 2014 and 2016, both non-comp with Executive package and the upgraded stereo. Two things I am not crazy about. First, the DCT, just doesn't seem like it fits. I wish it had the ZF, but it's not a deal breaker.

Second, is that road noise from the tires. When on the interstate, if the road is smooth, the car rides great. However, when I am on a not so smooth portion of road, I think the noise is excessive. Is this something I can overcome with some nice tires, or is it a function of the suspension? I had the suspension in comfort and it was comfortable, just a lot of noise.

Any other inputs/thoughts/warnings are much appreciated, I don't know much about this platform.
You'll get used to the DCT within a few weeks.

Umm not sure what tires were on it, probably the Pirelli P Zero's which a lot of us swapped out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. They handle way better as well as the noise reduction.

I would recommend getting a +14 because thats the LCI model. Its got updated headlights, steering wheel and a few other changes. But '13 is also very good (I had mine for 2 years, 50-85k miles). Like others have said, you definitely want to make sure the car has been serviced on time. I would recommend an extended warranty to have the piece of mind; which I had but never actually had to use it.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #6
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

You should consider a m6 gran coupe. I had an f10 and now a m6 which i bought over leasing a widebody hellcat challenger. Its more comfortable handles and looks 100 times better and your in a rare car you will hardly ever see.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

My F10 with 21s, Michelin PS4S are quiet. Great tires
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
My F10 with 21s, Michelin PS4S are quiet. Great tires
So the 2016 I drove had PS4s tires on it, which had good tread depth but I didnt look at the DOT code to see how old they were. I showed up to look at the car and it obviously hadn't been taken care of. All 4 rims had a decent amount of curb rash on them and a few other tell tale signs of an owner that wasn't a "car guy". The interior of that car rattled like crazy on the highway at 70 mph with a less than smooth road.

The 2014 I drove had the Pirelli P-Zeros on them. This car was on consignment and obviously the owner took car of it. I passed on it because it was a 3 owner with 1 accident, but it drove nicer than the 2016. The road noise was just as present with the Pirellis though, which I expected because they come stock on the Hellcats and they suck.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I had an F80 M3 for 3 years and recently bought a 2016 F10 M5 and couldn't be happier. Although I liked how the M3 drove (power, ride), I absolutely hated the amount of road noise in the cabin and I tried the PS4S tires. The M5 is such a different car and so much better for what we like to do - longer drives and touring through the Mountains west of Calgary. The M5 is so much quieter. I think it has at least as much power and with the B&O stereo and better seats, just a better experience overall.

The car has a new set of P Zero's in stock size on it (265/295 20's) and they seem fine.

My only concern with the car is the CCBs. They are in new condition (50,000km on the car), so we will see how they work over time. They are sure super sensitive. Anyway, we are really happy with the M5 Competition Edition in Mineral White and look forward to many more miles heading south when the damn border opens up.
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      01-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Well I bought a CPO G30 540i, so I guess the M5 is out. Maybe an F80 in my future.

I only drove the two M5s but the road noise from the tires at highway speeds was unacceptable on those two cars, for what I need. Specifically, making a 9 hour (round trip) drive once per month where half the drive is on crappy roads. One of the two had the PS4s tires on it with a lot of tread but I didn't look at the DOT date, so maybe they were just old and hard as hockey pucks.

The 540i is much more of a luxury car in my opinion, which makes sense. It definitely is not engaging or exciting to drive but it's perfect for what I need right now. When prices drop a little more in the used car market, maybe I'll look at add a 3rd vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #11
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

540 is a great car! Congrats. The M5 is way quieter than the M3 but there is still some tire noise. I can't imagine much road noise there will be in the G80 with even less insulation.

Up here in Canada, all the highways have a pebble finish for the winter, making tire or road noise even worse. Might not be much of a problem in the south, but my F80 M3 was just awful!
Appreciate 0