Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 | BM3 | GTC Cat-Back

Quick Jack Worth It?

Anyone have a quick jack or used one recently? Thinking about picking one up since I can't jack up the front of my M5 without jacking up one side slightly first in order to clear the front lip. Wondering if the price tag is worth it as well as if its easy to move around the garage when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Used one recently with a friend's car. Was quite easy and it gets them up nice and high (relative to ramps/stands). the pieces are (not surprisingly) fairly heavy, but not prohibitively so for an able-bodied guy. They're also pretty big, length-wise, so probably want to hang them.

If I was mainly concerned about getting under the front for oil changes and whatnot, I'd just get ramps and a couple pieces of 2x4. Not sure if that would work if one is significantly lowered, but it worked fine for me otherwise. Actually you could probably just get the 2x4 pieces and use with your jack.

The back is what scares me. I know people say one can lift it by the diff cooling fins, and I've done it once, but it was a bit nerve wracking.

Last edited by vafan13; 01-12-2021 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

Yeah what he said, try driving up on a pair of cut 2x6s, that would probably leave enough room to slip a low profile jack under. I just did my oil change and used my lil trolley jack to lift one side, I should have tried the wood. I have to do the same with my Cobra.

When I lifted the rear I used a rubber pad on the jack that kind of moulded itself around the diff fins and I felt pretty confident nothing would be damaged.
      01-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
chris_mauck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 | BM3 | GTC Cat-Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Used one recently with a friend's car. Was quite easy and it gets them up nice and high (relative to ramps/stands). the pieces are (not surprisingly) fairly heavy, but not prohibitively so for an able-bodied guy. They're also pretty big, length-wise, so probably want to hang them.

If I was mainly concerned about getting under the front for oil changes and whatnot, I'd just get ramps and a couple pieces of 2x4. Not sure if that would work if one is significantly lowered, but it worked fine for me otherwise. Actually you could probably just get the 2x4 pieces and use with your jack.

The back is what scares me. I know people say one can lift it by the diff cooling fins, and I've done it once, but it was a bit nerve wracking.
Ahhh okay. I was looking for a spot to put them in my garage, you think they are light enough to lift up off the ground and hang on the wall?

Yes I feel the same about the back. I use a cut 2x6 that sits across the diff fins and I haven't seen any marks or deformation of them at all. I think from what I've heard is it's the diff bearing that gets stressed not so much the fins. Oh well. Wish BMW would have added an actual rear jack point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Yeah what he said, try driving up on a pair of cut 2x6s, that would probably leave enough room to slip a low profile jack under. I just did my oil change and used my lil trolley jack to lift one side, I should have tried the wood. I have to do the same with my Cobra.

When I lifted the rear I used a rubber pad on the jack that kind of moulded itself around the diff fins and I felt pretty confident nothing would be damaged.
Yea I always put 2x6's under the tires as a last ditch safety effort, and as I was lowering my car I thought hey why not just drive up on them to get clearance for the front. I shall try it next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
SSJAR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Ordered a BL-7000EXT, about two years ago and they have been a great investment. They are heavy but I think that is a fair tradeoff for the weight they support.

I have mine hanging on my garage wall and have never had an issue. I bought the wall mounts from quick jack as well and as long as you find a stud to mount them on you should be good to go.

I have not only used them with my M5 but have used them with an Audi Q7, Lifted Jeep JK, and an Audi A6, all with no issues.

Makes tire rotations (not on the M5) and brake work very simple and you never have to worry about jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

As the above states, they are heavy but not too heavy to get up on to the wall mounts, so long as you're an able-bodied dude (no weightlifting required).

P.S. My friend also purchased the quick jack wall mounts.
      01-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

I bought a QuickJack BL-7000 SLX last spring. It is costly but worth the investment in my opinion.

For the F10 M5, you may need to get the XLT which is 66" long if you intend to use the recommended lift point. The SLX ended up being too short at 60". I just ordered the frame extender instead of trying to send back something that weights close to 200 pounds total.

Measure the distance between your lift points to make sure it works though.

The jack height for both 7000 models is about 3.75 inch with the lifting pads. The clearance was tight for me with stock suspension. The jack needs a little wiggle room at first to push the load or else it may not work. If you are lowered, even the Quick Jack could have trouble.

I don't hang them. I just lean the two frames side by side vertically against the garage wall.
Appreciate 0