M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

10-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

I had the car coded over a year ago.
Just now started to get "Emergency call system" malfunction or restricted functionality"on a regular basis.

I did some research and found this to be a coding-related issue. I hear simply turning off the BMW Assist can fix this.

Can anybody recommend me to a coder who can fix this? I have all the psdz data files, esys, and am familiar with how to code. The annual license had just run out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't know how to edit from mobile.
I have the cable as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

The SOS malfunction, or fault message is indicating a fault in the BMW SOS call system. Faults in this system are not uncommon. Typically the faults are either due to a programming glitch in the system, a fault in the control module or a bluetooth pairing that the system is not “comfortable” with.

The "fix" is to either replace the malfunctioning SOS components or wiring, or have the car coded to remove the SOS functionality.

For coding, I believe this is what you do:
KOMBI: ST_ECAL_ALIVE & ST_ECAL_TIMEOUT = nicht_aktiv

What annual license?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
The SOS malfunction, or fault message is indicating a fault in the BMW SOS call system. Faults in this system are not uncommon. Typically the faults are either due to a programming glitch in the system, a fault in the control module or a bluetooth pairing that the system is not “comfortable” with.

The "fix" is to either replace the malfunctioning SOS components or wiring, or have the car coded to remove the SOS functionality.

What annual license?
I think he's talking about the BMW Assist services. However, a 2014 M6 should have 10 years of safety services (Emergency Call, Crash Detection, etc). Only the extra services like Online Search, Weather, ARTTI, etc would expire and be on annual subscriptions.

I'd have the system checked out to make sure there's no hardware fault. Coding out the SOS/E-Call functionality would disable all the safety and emergency services build into the vehicle.

Besides, a 2014 model M6 should still be under warranty unless it's just got high mileage on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon
Quote:

What annual license?
I think he's talking about the BMW Assist services. However, a 2014 M6 should have 10 years of safety services (Emergency Call, Crash Detection, etc). Only the extra services like Online Search, Weather, ARTTI, etc would expire and be on annual subscriptions.

I'd have the system checked out to make sure there's no hardware fault. Coding out the SOS/E-Call functionality would disable all the safety and emergency services build into the vehicle.

Besides, a 2014 model M6 should still be under warranty unless it's just got high mileage on it.
I am under the warranty.

From what I read on the forums, the reason for this malfunction is the modules aren't getting along with one another. I have some particular values set to active / nicht_active, I guess, that interfere with the SOS module?

I would really not like to take it to the dealership and get the coding entirely wiped away. I have the latest software as I've had to re-code the car once already.

Referring to the annual license, it is the E-sys that must be renewed every year. I paid $60 per year since 2014 to code the car, and my license expired in September.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post
I am under the warranty.

From what I read on the forums, the reason for this malfunction is the modules aren't getting along with one another. I have some particular values set to active / nicht_active, I guess, that interfere with the SOS module?

I would really not like to take it to the dealership and get the coding entirely wiped away. I have the latest software as I've had to re-code the car once already.

Referring to the annual license, it is the E-sys that must be renewed every year. I paid $60 per year since 2014 to code the car, and my license expired in September.
It is possible that some of your coding resulting in the issue, but less likely considering the timeline.

You do not need a token to VO code your modules and erase all customized FDL coding. PM'd Tokenmaster's free token solution.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you, I'll try it myself and will report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I am under the warranty.

You only need to pay for the E-Sys Launcher if you want the Professional version (which has some additional features and allows you to switch chassis at will instead of a 3 day wait).

E-Sys and E-Sys Launcher Premium will work just fine for anyone doing personal coding for themselves and don't require switching chassis's all the time.

But if you haven't touched the coding on the vehicle in a year and it's just now throwing errors, it's not a coding problem otherwise it would have started immediately after the coding was done.

I'd consider getting ISTA/D installed as well so you can read the errors thrown by the module and it'll give you an idea of what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I'll try it myself and will report back.
Did you get it sorted out?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you get it sorted out?
I didn't. I downloaded the zip file for latest psdzdata which inside contained another file psdzdata.rar. Upon extracting it, I received error "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".
Maybe another link for the psdzdata may work?

I was able to upgrade to the latest ESYS using your link, and create the free token, so all of that part should be set.
For the token I selected F020 which i I believe is the correct one.

Thank you for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't. I downloaded the zip file for latest psdzdata which inside contained another file psdzdata.rar. Upon extracting it, I received error "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

I was able to upgrade to the latest ESYS using your link, and create the free token, so all of that part should be set.

The Psdzdata (Psdzdata_v3.59.5_lite.rar), I created myself from ISTA-P. It should have a folder by the same name within archive, and a folder named Psdzdata within that. There is not another folder named psdzdata.rar.

For Launcher, you choose actual chassis (eg, F013 for M6).
For E-sys Connection Target, you choose representative chassis (F10 covers covers F006/F010/F011/F012/F013/F018)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Psdzdata (Psdzdata_v3.59.5_lite.rar), I created myself from ISTA-P. It should have a folder by the same name within archive, and a folder named Psdzdata within that. There is not another folder named psdzdata.rar.

For Launcher, you choose actual chassis (eg, F013 for M6).
For E-sys Connection Target, you choose representative chassis (F10 covers covers F006/F010/F011/F012/F013/F018)
That is correct. The .rar with the same name within the initial "Latestpsdzdata" zip file is the one that won't extract itself. I can't view the files within it. Both of the ITSA-P files open fine, I simply can't unrar the main psdzdata.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It is hard to explain exactly what I mean.
Basically, when downloaded from mega, it becomes a zip file. Once unzipped, I am able to see I-levels..pdf (both files) and Psdzdata_v3.59.5_lite.rar. This is the .rar file I am referring to. I cannot extract it, nor can I access it.

EDIT- was able to unzip it using 7-zip.

Will update with results.

Edit 2 - I didn't select the chassis code corresponding with my vehicle. So it looks like I'll have to wait another 48 hour to be able to generate a new token.

Last edited by UnfoundLegend; 10-28-2016 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What annual license?
Hey Almaretto,

Was able to find both, one right under the other. It reset mpg, trip tach, and a few other things. It also briefly showed collision warning malfunction (which is normal, I've seen it before while coding). It's funny, the SOS malfunction overrode it all and is still displaying.

I'll try cycling the car several times as that sometimes does the trick.

Edit - didn't seem to do the trick. I've read on e90post that setting:

TCM_ALIVE_MONITOR -> nicht_activ
TCM_ID_MONITOR -> nicht_activ

Should I try these values?

link to thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805677

Thanks so much for all of the help. Hope this helps anybody else with a similar problem.

Last edited by UnfoundLegend; 11-01-2016 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Almaretto,

Was able to find both, one right under the other. It reset mpg, trip tach, and a few other things. It also briefly showed collision warning malfunction (which is normal, I've seen it before while coding). It's funny, the SOS malfunction overrode it all and is still displaying.

I'll try cycling the car several times as that sometimes does the trick.

Edit - didn't seem to do the trick. I've read on e90post that setting:

TCM_ALIVE_MONITOR -> nicht_activ
TCM_ID_MONITOR -> nicht_activ

Should I try these values?

link to thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805677

Thanks so much for all of the help. Hope this helps anybody else with a similar problem.
Even though I am subscribed to threads, Bimmerpost never seems to email me of updates; as such, I had not seen your updates until now.

If you are coding head unit (eg, HU_NBT), it will reset your memory hotkeys (1-8). If you code instrument cluster (eg, KOMBI), it will ask you to reset clock and will reset info like trip computer. If you code drivetrain modules (eg, ICM or DSC), you may get screen or cluster errors. As long as you have no errors on computer (ie "Finished with '0' Errors"), then they will go away on their own, by driving a little, or with E-sys External Transmitter.

Which KOMBI do you have? I do not even see those parameters.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #16
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hey all,

I am getting a coding issue on my M5 F10, and I also think there is a way to bypass this... do I have some other ways besides going to the dealer and getting them to charge me an arm and a leg?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Even though I am subscribed to threads, Bimmerpost never seems to email me of updates; as such, I had not seen your updates until now.

If you are coding head unit (eg, HU_NBT), it will reset your memory hotkeys (1-8). If you code instrument cluster (eg, KOMBI), it will ask you to reset clock and will reset info like trip computer. If you code drivetrain modules (eg, ICM or DSC), you may get screen or cluster errors. As long as you have no errors on computer (ie "Finished with '0' Errors"), then they will go away on their own, by driving a little, or with E-sys External Transmitter.

Which KOMBI do you have? I do not even see those parameters.
You can backup profile to USB and restore after coding. This way you can keep presets.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:25 AM   #18
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hey all, I have spoken to many places including the dealer and unfortunately unless they change out the cheap module in the headliner which comes with a lot of labor costs, you will need to find a place that can code these things out, most places cannot so I am still searching, I found one place but the guy was being an ass because I was late to my appointment so he canceled on me but yet he canceled on me one time previously before that... I heard you can change something out in your battery area in the trunk has anyone heard about this?

Thanks,

KJDEION21
Appreciate 0