Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
F10 M5 battery replacement and recoding

Hi guys. I'm going to replace the battery in my 2014 F10 M5. The car runs fine but I'm getting a bunch of low voltage codes on the carly app. Also the top view camera gives a fault when used and carlys code says its low voltage. I'm pretty certain the battery needs to be replaced based on the research. I know the battery needs to be registered etc. But my question is will I have to recode the entire car when the battery is replaced? (Video in Motion, mirrors closing when locked, trunk close with key etc)

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylenterok View Post
Hi guys. I'm going to replace the battery in my 2014 F10 M5. The car runs fine but I'm getting a bunch of low voltage codes on the carly app. Also the top view camera gives a fault when used and carlys code says its low voltage. I'm pretty certain the battery needs to be replaced based on the research. I know the battery needs to be registered etc. But my question is will I have to recode the entire car when the battery is replaced? (Video in Motion, mirrors closing when locked, trunk close with key etc)

No as far as I know, just have to reg the battery into the car. Have you tried trickle charging the battery from the engine bay points.
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
      07-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:

I have the same car Color and Model Year and I work in Homestead.

To the battery, You have to register with ISTA-D or other type software. I have ISTA-D and will be willing to do it for you free of course. But just go ahead and get a battery with the same type and capacity. I think ours are the AGM type but you have to confirm. pay attention to the CCA and RC rating. ( I used Excide on my E70 with good results for a couple years). You will not loose any coding and I dare say you can install a new battery without registering right away, just do it soon after so the ECU can charge properly with a new battery profile.

Last edited by mundo74; 07-09-2020 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #4
Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
Quote:

I have the same car Color and Model Year and I work in Homestead.

To the battery, You have to register with ISTA-D or other type software. I have ISTA-D and will be willing to do it for you free of course. But just go ahead and get a battery with the same type and capacity. I think ours are the AGM type but you have to confirm. pay attention to the CCA and RC rating. ( I used Excide on my E70 with good results for a couple years). You will not loose any coding and I dare say you can install a new battery without registering right away, just do it soon after so the ECU can charge properly with a new battery profile.
I appreciate the information fellas. I bought a new battery at bmw and changed it myself. I also registered it with the Carly app. Super easy to do. The car feels soooo much better with a new battery. All those low voltage codes went away as well. The coding (Video in Motion etc) stayed as you said.👍🏾Next up is the AFE air filter and charcoal delete!
E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
I appreciate the information fellas. I bought a new battery at bmw and changed it myself. I also registered it with the Carly app. Super easy to do. The car feels soooo much better with a new battery. All those low voltage codes went away as well. The coding (Video in Motion etc) stayed as you said.👍🏾Next up is the AFE air filter and charcoal delete!
+10 for charcoal delete, you hear more turbo spool and the mid range feels punchier.
Appreciate 1