M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

02-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #23
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Why don't other makes seem to have so much of an issue with BOP? Porsche seems to have their shit together. Having to remove diffusers mid-race also has nothing to do with BOP. Just dissappointed with their showing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #24
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Why don't other makes seem to have so much of an issue with BOP? Porsche seems to have their shit together. Having to remove diffusers mid-race also has nothing to do with BOP. Just dissappointed with their showing.
Corvette had issues w/ their BOP; they're converting last year's GTE (GTLM) car to GT3 specs so they're fumbling their way through the transition. At least I can understand IMSA giving them BOP b/c Corvette should have just built a GT3 car to spec in the first place. Porsche's had GT3 spec car already w/ plenty of miles under its belt. BMW built their car to GT3 spec and couldn't even run it w/o being handicapped upfront.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

BoP..balance of performance, didn't quite know what that was.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #26
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Corvette had issues w/ their BOP; they're converting last year's GTE (GTLM) car to GT3 specs so they're fumbling their way through the transition. At least I can understand IMSA giving them BOP b/c Corvette should have just built a GT3 car to spec in the first place. Porsche's had GT3 spec car already w/ plenty of miles under its belt. BMW built their car to GT3 spec and couldn't even run it w/o being handicapped upfront.
Like you said Corvette is basically using a neutered GTE spec car this year. IMSA can not allow them to be dominate, other teams actually using a GT3 spec car would be irate. Corvette Racing will probably not win a single race this year due to extreme BoP put on their GTE spec car. IMSA has given them a waiver to run the GTE spec car for two seasons.

Corvette is currently developing a new C8 GT3 program(for the first time be available to customers). While they develop their GT3 program, they will be able to convert their current car back and forth between GT3 and GTE spec. Giving them opportunity to race in IMSA GTD and FIA WEC. FIA WEC will continue with GTE spec until 2024 season. This allows Corvette to continue to race in 24hr Le Mans.

In my opinion IMSA jumped the gun on switching to GT3 spec, they should have timed it with FIA. But the IMSA field was bleeding manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #27
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post

In my opinion IMSA jumped the gun on switching to GT3 spec, they should have timed it with FIA. But the IMSA field was bleeding manufacturers.
absolutely, but they didn't have any choice since Ford, BMW, etc all left and it was just the 2 Vettes racing each other in GTLM.

I do think they need 2 separate GTD groups now; too many cars on grid amongst other things.

BMW RLL may eventually pull out of GT racing since they don't want to race against themselves (thru Turner) and solely focus on GTP. They will only run 1 car in GTD after Sebring this year to dedicate more resources to GTP which really stinks. I really wish they would run both, so we'll see what happens

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0