M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
MDM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: /// 2022 M8C

DCT Precharge Pump

Anyone else hearing this whining noise from their DCT during the cold winter months? I remember hearing it during the summer months once or twice maybe, but no where near as loud as it is now during the winter months. Took it into service and they had the car for two days and I got the "We didn't hear anything" So I say lets go for a ride to the shop foreman. Well we don't even drive a hundred yards down the road and he blurts out "Oh yah that's the DCT Pre-Charge Pump!" I come back with..."That cant be normal with it being that loud!?" He says..."That is common/normal operation for the DCT and common on M DCT equipped M3 E9X" I said to him I'm not sure about that as I have previously owned two 2011 E90 M3s with DCT and neither of them made such a noise. At the end of the test drive I had them update my service paperwork noting that this was indeed the DCT Pre-Charge Pump making this noise and that this is normal operation for this transmission. There is another thread floating around discussing this very same issue. Please chime in if you are experiencing these same issues.

Its just embarrassing when you pull up to your local Bimmer car meet and people point and ask you what is that noise and all I can do is hang my head low

FYI...

MY2013
Built: July 2012 as MY2013
Miles: 12,482

Noise always happens when its 45deg or colder or when the car has sat for a few hours...hence I have heard it during the summer months but very faint and it goes away quickly. Basically the colder it gets the louder and it last longer until the DCT warms up...say after 30min of driving. Normally happen in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears during excel and more prominently during deceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Passi-M5
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 Competition

Hello. Was this the DCT Pump?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM View Post
Anyone else hearing this whining noise from their DCT during the cold winter months? I remember hearing it during the summer months once or twice maybe, but no where near as loud as it is now during the winter months. Took it into service and they had the car for two days and I got the "We didn't hear anything" So I say lets go for a ride to the shop foreman. Well we don't even drive a hundred yards down the road and he blurts out "Oh yah that's the DCT Pre-Charge Pump!" I come back with..."That cant be normal with it being that loud!?" He says..."That is common/normal operation for the DCT and common on M DCT equipped M3 E9X" I said to him I'm not sure about that as I have previously owned two 2011 E90 M3s with DCT and neither of them made such a noise. At the end of the test drive I had them update my service paperwork noting that this was indeed the DCT Pre-Charge Pump making this noise and that this is normal operation for this transmission. There is another thread floating around discussing this very same issue. Please chime in if you are experiencing these same issues.

Its just embarrassing when you pull up to your local Bimmer car meet and people point and ask you what is that noise and all I can do is hang my head low

FYI...

MY2013
Built: July 2012 as MY2013
Miles: 12,482

Noise always happens when its 45deg or colder or when the car has sat for a few hours...hence I have heard it during the summer months but very faint and it goes away quickly. Basically the colder it gets the louder and it last longer until the DCT warms up...say after 30min of driving. Normally happen in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears during excel and more prominently during deceleration.
You say 12484 miles the car has done, is that on the actual car from new or on a replacement engine...basically has the DCT only done 12400 miles.
Appreciate 0