Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Exhaust dilemma...Which one?

Bit of an exhaust dilemma at the moment, hoping you guys can help me come to a decision.

I purposefully looked for a comp pack M5 because I didn't want to mess w/ the exhaust. My initial plan was DP's-only, and the stock exhaust would be just fine.

Over the few months I've owned the car (since May), I noticed that even the comp pack exhaust is way too tame for this car. DP's aren't in the cards at the moment as I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the CPO warranty/or cause inspection issues.

As a result, I've been looking at changing out the rear mufflers (backboxes) and replacing them w/ something like the Turner's, Fabspeed, AWE, or similar.

They're all pretty much a "muffler delete" style.

Here's where my dilemma lies - I've been doing some research and it seems that the stock comp pack mufflers are already a pretty straight through design, i.e. almost like a muffler delete. The concern is that I'm just wasting money on a system that won't improve sound much.

Is there any truth to the above? I'm especially looking for feedback from the guys that have stock DP's and have replaced their Comp Pack mufflers, or better yet, deleted them.

There are some pretty decent sales going on right now, but wondering if that money is better spent on a quality set of DP's that I'll just keep and wait to install later down the road.

Thoughts?
      11-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Bit of an exhaust dilemma at the moment, hoping you guys can help me come to a decision.

I purposefully looked for a comp pack M5 because I didn't want to mess w/ the exhaust. My initial plan was DP's-only, and the stock exhaust would be just fine.

Over the few months I've owned the car (since May), I noticed that even the comp pack exhaust is way too tame for this car. DP's aren't in the cards at the moment as I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the CPO warranty/or cause inspection issues.

As a result, I've been looking at changing out the rear mufflers (backboxes) and replacing them w/ something like the Turner's, Fabspeed, AWE, or similar.

They're all pretty much a "muffler delete" style.

Here's where my dilemma lies - I've been doing some research and it seems that the stock comp pack mufflers are already a pretty straight through design, i.e. almost like a muffler delete. The concern is that I'm just wasting money on a system that won't improve sound much.

Is there any truth to the above? I'm especially looking for feedback from the guys that have stock DP's and have replaced their Comp Pack mufflers, or better yet, deleted them.

There are some pretty decent sales going on right now, but wondering if that money is better spent on a quality set of DP's that I'll just keep and wait to install later down the road.

Thoughts?
I have resonator delete and back box delete. Car sounds pretty good if I'm honest, I'm not sure it needs to be any louder. The benefit of gutting the back boxes is retaining valves. I get drone when cruising under 2k rpm with the valves open but stops when they are closed. I would imagine all muffler deletes would drone, despite some people saying they don't. My advice would be, remove the resonators, weld up the perforated sections of the back boxes and have done with it.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00