C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
Hi All,

Thank you all once again for the support.

So...some good news...I managed to get the car back on the road. Made the decision to get the car repaired. Got 2 year warranty on all parts replaced and also got the BMW Extended Warranty.

I have to run in the car now, so have to go back for the run in service between 1000-1200 miles. Any recommendations on how to drive in this period? Never had to run in a car before.

I'm still paranoid when i drive the car, but i guess this will take time. Now the maintenance. Plan is to complete an oil change every 3500 miles and stick to the recommended servicing. Anything else suggested to try and mitigate the risk of the engine going again?
Congratulations Umz and many thanks for keeping the thread up to date. Now hopefully you rebuild your trust in the car and start to enjoy the car for what it is. As others have said take it easy to start with and let the car warm up before opening it up.

I can only imagine what you've gone through over the past few weeks, I'm really pleased that you've come out the other side and that it's been repaired. I'm glad it's turned out well for you and that it's hopefully restored your faith in BMW dealers and BMW UK.

Despite the costs, ultimately a great outcome with the warranty cover you have now too. I know I always advise anyone to take the BMW Mondial warranty if buying non-approved or privately. However, if it's any consolation to you, I don't believe the BMW Mondial warranty would have covered your initial scenario, as I seem to recall there's a 28 day cooling off period before the cover starts, so don't beat yourself up about not buying the warranty straight away - would have been fine once the cover kicked in, I guess they do this to stop people taking out cover after an event.

I guess this thread will also serve as a good lesson to others, these are expensive cars to run should things go wrong. Pleased that you're back in the driving seat.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50
      11-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #90
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Congratulations Umz and many thanks for keeping the thread up to date. Now hopefully you rebuild your trust in the car and start to enjoy the car for what it is. As others have said take it easy to start with and let the car warm up before opening it up.

I can only imagine what you've gone through over the past few weeks, I'm really pleased that you've come out the other side and that it's been repaired. I'm glad it's turned out well for you and that it's hopefully restored your faith in BMW dealers and BMW UK.

Despite the costs, ultimately a great outcome with the warranty cover you have now too. I know I always advise anyone to take the BMW Mondial warranty if buying non-approved or privately. However, if it's any consolation to you, I don't believe the BMW Mondial warranty would have covered your initial scenario, as I seem to recall there's a 28 day cooling off period before the cover starts, so don't beat yourself up about not buying the warranty straight away - would have been fine once the cover kicked in, I guess they do this to stop people taking out cover after an event.

I guess this thread will also serve as a good lesson to others, these are expensive cars to run should things go wrong. Pleased that you're back in the driving seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #91
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post

Mate, thanks a lot, really appreciate it!

Yes, it truly was a roller coaster. Gladly back on the road with the M5, I think the trust is a slow process, still paranoid when I drive but that will hopefully go in time as I drive more.

Feel at ease now that I know I have 2 years warranty on all parts changed and as an addition, the extended warranty.

Definitely a lesson and can be a really expensive car. I hope people make the right decisions based on my experience, horrible experience to say the least, but onward and upwards.

What I love the most is the support received on this forum, friendly and genuine caring people. Big shout out to everyone on here!
Appreciate 2
C320342.50
OneExtra810.50
      11-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #92
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
A good point about the turbo coolant lines, there is enough heat in the sealed from the top engine compartment without these lines adding to it but as I have stock downpipes I'll skip the wrap there.
Good timing on these posts, I've been looking at wrap for my coolant lines recently. 1 hose has started leaking again already so I'll do them at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #93
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Good timing on these posts, I've been looking at wrap for my coolant lines recently. 1 hose has started leaking again already so I'll do them at the same time.
What would you suggest using instead of that khaki coloured wrap around wrap.I was thinking of some neater smooth silver coloured hose type with cut down the length for easy fit and secure with silver ties..yeah and you need to check those 4 short hoses regularly.I smelt a/freeze with mine so got on to replacing the faulty one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #94
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
What would you suggest using instead of that khaki coloured wrap around wrap.I was thinking of some neater smooth silver coloured hose type with cut down the length for easy fit and secure with silver ties..yeah and you need to check those 4 short hoses regularly.I smelt a/freeze with mine so got on to replacing the faulty one.
I've been looking at actual sleeving rather than wrap. I'm not entirely sure what to use. Some input from someone with experience would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #95
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I've been looking at actual sleeving rather than wrap. I'm not entirely sure what to use. Some input from someone with experience would be nice.
Don't see sleeves looking nice with the sticking out edge unless you tuck them in behind.I'm looking to see what's available..thinking would be nice to have gold tubing
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:57 AM   #96
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I don’t think it’s necessary to let the car idle for 5 mins before driving that’s just daft.

Just drive gently until it’s warmed up

I also think oil changes every 3,000 miles is over the top, every 5,000 - 7,000 is fine in my opinion
about that daft part- i agree- and here is why

i just bought another Lexus,(daily driver) and we all know a Lexus motor aint a bimmer motor, but their motors dont blow. (i have a 20 year old is300 i got new that i have beat on every mile of its life.. still superb)

However, i was reading its manual out of boredom and for engine break in and longevity it says first: "you need not follow a break in schedule for your new lexus" LOL

but it goes on to give same break in instructions as the e60 M5 had on the windshield (go thru range of RPM's, dont hold at any rpm or speed (basically dont use cruise, or just cruise)

then it says "do not start your car and let it set and idle, start it, when it settles and runs smoothly, drive. dont set.

that's instructions for a lexus motor, so you can rest assured that it is the optimal technical instructions for a motor

it also dropped tidbits we all should know, like "if you pull up somewhere and have an extended wait over just a minute or 2, turn the motor off. its better to turn off and start later than to run
Appreciate 0