M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #45
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post

Meanwhile MB is doing a great job making MBUX a platform they can support across their lineup for years.

People don’t want to hop into a BMW and feel like every time they get into it they need to re-learn iDrive. They also don’t want to feel like they need to buy a new car to get low hanging fruit new features while the competition is pushing stuff out regularly. And even more importantly they don’t want to feel like the brand considers them not worthy of a quality product because they purchased a “low end” vehicle.

BMW is looking lost and confused.
Huh? MBUX is dead - MB.OS is Mercedes' new operating system, to debut in 2024.

Like I posted above, the entire automotive industry is in a state of flux trying to figure out how to deliver on the digital experience in cars.

Regardless of what people think, moving to a platform like Android Automotive allows BMW and all other Android Automotive partners and potential developers is the right move and hopefully allows for a more streamlined future. App stores, subscriptions and all these other digital features was likely not a feasible thing on QNX.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
      01-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #46
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Classic BMW they have been doing this with iDrive for over a decade now.

I mean look at the G01 X3, it’s running a weird mismatch of iDrive 6 architecture with iDrive 7 shoehorned in. I have a 2020 X3 with the iDrive 7, but because it’s really an iDrive 6 car it misses out on some features.

It’s pretty funny though that they will have iDrive 7, 8 and 9 all on sale at once.
They’ll have iDrive 7, 8, 8.5, and 9 all on sale at once!

The whole iDrive 7 “Lite” fiasco you covered though is the peak of why they are screwing this up so badly.

They keep advertising these as “iDrive X” and “BMW OS X” as if they share a universal feature set across models. For instance, iPhone OS 16 is the same OS on the iPhone X as it is on the iPhone 14 Pro. For BMW they have underlying “features” that are tied to the vehicles “Service Pack” which can limit features available…

So you’ll have 4 different iDrive versions and who knows how many “Service Pack” versions. For a user, no clear way of knowing what any car supports feature wise. It is a mess that erodes confidence in the brand.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3599.00
      01-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #47
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
You can contribute the constant changes to Tesla. Whether you like it or not, they pretty much opened the floodgates too all of this digitalization in cars.

Mercedes is in the same boat. They announced MBUX in 2018 claiming it will be the best thing replacing the very outdated COMAND system and now they're moving away from MBUX to MB.OS - using Android Automotive.

I believe Audi is also moving towards Android Automotive for their next-generation OS as well.
It’s not about the move to digitalization or Adroid Auto (what I think is a good move), but more about their execution.
To me it looks they don’t know what way they really want to go and switch from one thing to the other in such a short time, waisting time and development power & knowhow…instead of carefully planning their strategy and platform for their needs and then execute properly, how you normally do in the software industry.
And not end up with cars that are not even a year apart, but have 3 different OS, underlying technology and UIs…bad user experience, bad maintenance and tons of different hardware.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602185.00
      01-04-2023, 06:50 PM   #48
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

This might be another clue that BMW is, at the moment, utterly lost in the woods.

I LOVE our X3, but the thought of buying a BMW with iDrive 8, 8.5, or 9... makes me queazy.

When the time comes, maybe a 997.2 and a GMC Yukon I guess? Maybe by the time I'm ready to move on from the X3, BMW will have found themselves again.
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      01-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #49
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
It’s not about the digitalization or Adroid Auto (what I think is a good move), but more about their execution. To me it be looks they don’t know what way to go and switch from one thing to the other in such a short time, waisting time and development power & knowhow…instead of carefully planning their strategy and platform for their needs and then execute properly, how you normally do in the software industry.
And not end up with cars that are not even a year apart, but have 3 different OS, underlying technology and UIs…
Sure, if you're based out of Silicon Valley. Everyone knows car OEM's are terrible when it comes to software, it's nothing new.

Other than Tesla, no car OEM had any idea on what they wanted to do with their infotainment other than the basic tasks. And some still don't, which is why they would rather rely on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for infotainment. But companies like BMW and Mercedes are starting to figure out which is why they do everything in-house and now the shift to Android Automotive. This should allow them to develop for the future, something that likely wasn't possible with QNX.
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #50
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Huh? MBUX is dead - MB.OS is Mercedes' new operating system, to debut in 2024.

Like I posted above, the entire automotive industry is in a state of flux trying to figure out how to deliver on the digital experience in cars.

Regardless of what people think, moving to a platform like Android Automotive allows BMW and all other Android Automotive partners and potential developers is the right move and hopefully allows for a more streamlined future. App stores, subscriptions and all these other digital features was likely not a feasible thing on QNX.
I haven’t keep up as closely with MB, but nice to see them evolving. Their evolution is still the point I’m making here though…

MB UX debuted in what 2018? So MB will have 1 “OS” change in a 5 year time span? BMW has had and will have what? iDrive 6, iDrive 7, iDrive 7 “Lite”, iDrive 8, iDive 8.5 and iDrive 9 between 2019 when I purchased my MY2020 G30 and 2024…

That’s nuts and is killing their ability to support their platform…

They are lost.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #51
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sure, if you're based out of Silicon Valley. Everyone knows car OEM's are terrible when it comes to software, it's nothing new.

Other than Tesla, no car OEM had any idea on what they wanted to do with their infotainment other than the basic tasks. And some still don't, which is why they would rather rely on Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for infotainment. But companies like BMW and Mercedes are starting to figure out which is why they do everything in-house and now the shift to Android Automotive. This should allow them to develop for the future, something that likely wasn't possible with QNX.
Exactly, that’s what I mean…better take some more time, do proper research, get the right people and learn how to do SD for cars…
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #52
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven’t keep up as closely with MB, but nice to see them evolving. Their evolution is still the point I’m making here though…

MB UX debuted in what 2018? So MB will have 1 “OS” change in a 5 year time span? BMW has had sand will have what? iDrive 6, iDrive 7, iDrive 7 “Lite”, iDrive 8, iDive 8.5 and iDrive 9 between 2019 when I purchased my MY2020 G30 and 2024…

They are lost.
That's the issue, there is no proper platform with iDrive - the biggest thing that came out of iDrive 7 - 8 was "remote software update" which doesn't really do anything (many hoped it would be on the same level as Tesla's remote updates). Everything else was just a UI change which is the same from iDrive 5 to 6.

Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing with iDrive 7 and 8. To me, iDrive is easily the best in-house infotainment system, because it's just that, infotainment - it does what it needs to do well outside of the UI changes. But other than that, they're no real difference where I would say I want iDrive 7 or iDrive 8. Moving to Android Automotive should help BMW properly set up a platform for all things digital and all internet-related things.

If you have a problem with BMW not really having a platform with iDrive today, this news should make you happy because it should act as the first step for actually creating an in-house infotainment platform.
Appreciate 4
PLF693766.00
Mastakko181.00
KRS_SN13439.00
      01-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #53
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

MB UX debuted in what 2018? So MB will have 1 “OS” change in a 5 year time span? BMW has had and will have what? iDrive 6, iDrive 7, iDrive 7 “Lite”, iDrive 8, iDive 8.5 and iDrive 9 between 2019 when I purchased my MY2020 G30 and 2024…

They are lost
This! Best description, they are lost.
Who needs OTA updates when the OS is outdated, not really supported and worked on anymore after some months…
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #54
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I’m holding out until February for ID10.
Appreciate 8
s58544.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
zero213252.00
Geo_FF140.00
Ibiza3599.00
Mastakko181.00
volodp196.50
Swappy531.50
      01-04-2023, 07:11 PM   #55
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Here comes another new screen! lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:13 PM   #56
stashstein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX5

Good god no to android automotive. It's been an absolute shit show on Volvos.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:20 PM   #57
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

VMW should pull a Microsoft move and skip iDrive 9

Did anyone bother to install Windows 9?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:22 PM   #58
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

BMWPlay™ by Apple
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:40 PM   #59
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530d g30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
BMWPlay™ by Apple
Wasn't that this one..?

Appreciate 1
Game7380.00
      01-04-2023, 07:43 PM   #60
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Going out on a limb here but large computer screens obscuring vision and distracting drivers don’t belong in cars - better to put the drivers eyes on the road and use more traditional tactile controls. An integrated nav screen below the dash is fine but not a huge screen sticking up and obscuring the windshield. Touch screens are the worst for distraction!! Basics. Every day has multiple accidents on my short 15 mile commute. It’s the law to buckle up but it is legal to have a 15” TV sceeen up high in the drivers face. Regulation at its best.
Appreciate 6
Mastakko181.00
Ilyam5891.50
85Shark98.00
Joachim328.00
chrisk03153.00
siegester344.50
      01-04-2023, 07:50 PM   #61
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

This is a symptom originating from consumer feedback stating how high of a priority it is for their next car to have strong cabin tech. The manufacturers can thus justify massive investments in the category. The responsiveness to consumers isn’t a bad thing, even if you happen to dislike the specific results.
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      01-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #62
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep

I don't really care what technology everything is built on, as long as it works..!

I tried CarPlay but have recently gone back to my ID6, as the integration with the other BMW settings, radio, HUD, phone, etc is really lacking.

The ID UI looks really dated, but it 'usually' works...!

I would happily use CarPlay, or Android Auto, if the whole system was integrated and it didn't just look like some add-on that I have to switch in and out of.

I presume one of the reasons they are moving to AAu is because it is/will be easier to develop software for EVs which is fully software driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #63
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

ID7 is great. These new ones look pretty bad.
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      01-04-2023, 08:01 PM   #64
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
ID7 is great. These new ones look pretty bad.
Still think iDrive 6 is the best version. iDrive 7 was still useable but I hated the widget layout - was made more for touch input than the actual iDrive controller.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      01-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #65
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep

I am also not a fan of touchscreens in cars (as I am 6'6" and usually sit near the back seat ), but I have absolutely zero interest in 'talking' to my car or 'waiving my hand around' trying to change the song..
Appreciate 4
RoGo330i142.50
Mastakko181.00
chrisk03153.00
siegester344.50
      01-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #66
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the issue, there is no proper platform with iDrive - the biggest thing that came out of iDrive 7 - 8 was "remote software update" which doesn't really do anything (many hoped it would be on the same level as Tesla's remote updates). Everything else was just a UI change which is the same from iDrive 5 to 6.

Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing with iDrive 7 and 8. To me, iDrive is easily the best in-house infotainment system, because it's just that, infotainment - it does what it needs to do well outside of the UI changes. But other than that, they're no real difference where I would say I want iDrive 7 or iDrive 8. Moving to Android Automotive should help BMW properly set up a platform for all things digital and all internet-related things.

If you have a problem with BMW not really having a platform with iDrive today, this news should make you happy because it should act as the first step for actually creating an in-house infotainment platform.
I agree with you that iDrive is fantastic, but the problems here are all BMW’s fault.

For instance, you take the upset people like me have who are on the iDrive 7 “Lite” island and I think we’re the best embodiment of the problem. BMW markets these versions as platforms, but they aren’t actually platforms. They then lose the ability to deliver on them properly as they treat them as the thing they are not — platforms.

BMW doesn’t market “Service Packs” which appears to be their actual platforms. These determine what hardware is in place to support the features exposed via iDrive. Instead BMW markets iDrive 7 or iDrive 8 or whatever. Leading to confusion and disappointment. So I was disappointed to learn that iDrive 7 on my G30 came after it did on the X5 MY wise, but lacks Remote Software Updates which is marketed as a universal iDrive 7 feature… It is also wild that the X5 with iDrive 7 has more features than the G30 LCI with iDrive 7 that launched much later… But it doesn’t fully implement SP18 on the G30 LCI like it does on the G05 X5…

BMW would do themselves a lot of good, for instance, by properly separating their “Service Pack” platform and their infotainment “iDrive” such that they can offer upgrades between versions to keep their cars consistent and to offer owners new features on a common platform (also would cut their IT costs as well).

This is what I mean by how lost they are. They appear to have no clue how to develop their software and even though they have an in-house team it all looks like they’re just buying a vendor solution and lightly skinning it. They don’t have the source code or expertise to tie it together across “versions” or “platforms”.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 01-04-2023 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0