M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-31-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
deano17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i4 e40, ‘24 X5 50e

Anyone pick up in Spartanburg?

We’ve ordered a ‘24 50e. Wondering if an anyone has any knowledge about picking up the vehicle at the factory? Process? Do you save anything? We were planning an east coast road trip any way, so thought we should consider this if it made sense.
      03-31-2023, 11:24 AM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I picked up my 2017 M3 at the Performance Center in the fall of 2016 and drove it back to Oregon. 3,000 miles give or take. Taking delivery in Spartanburg is a wonderful experience; highly-recommended. There are no price savings on the vehicle, and you have to get yourself to the airport there, but once there, they pick you up, put you up at a hotel, give you dinner and breakfast then, on the day of delivery, shuttle you to the center where they give you a plant tour (or not, depending on the status of model changeovers, etc.), give you some driving instruction in a vehicle like your new BMW, give you a nice lunch and do the delivery. Overall a great time and I don't think the experience has changed much since I did it.

You might try asking this question on the G05 X5 forum for any X5-specific info, particularly given your new hybrid 50e.
cmyx6go15679.00
The_Werm212.00
      03-31-2023, 11:29 AM   #3
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

Above description is accurate... including the endorsement that it is a wonderful time. It is. If you can do it, do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've done it once and will be doing it again during April

It's a great experience and a nice chance to road trip in your new car
Appreciate 2
Llarry15356.50
DrFerry6725.50
      03-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano17 View Post
We’ve ordered a ‘24 50e. Wondering if an anyone has any knowledge about picking up the vehicle at the factory? Process? Do you save anything? We were planning an east coast road trip any way, so thought we should consider this if it made sense.
Just picked up last week. Description is accurate. The driving is great- doa slalom course, breaking exercise and a skid pad. They also take you on a hot lap in an M competition. Another hour or so is spent on the ‘X’ off-road course with and X5. Highly recommend it. I found a lot of info about it on the forum back when I ordered mine (search for PCD or performance center delivery and a number of threads will come up). There is also a lot of info via the BMW USA website.

Note that the delivery date isn’t set until close to production, they offer you dates to choose from and they start about 2 weeks after your car is done (so you need some flexibility).
Appreciate 2
Llarry15356.50
      03-31-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone. Not that is a deal breaker, but you still pay the $995 destination charge? And how does registration work? Do you do that when you get home and do you have a certain amount of time to get that done? @Llarry, how long did you take to go back to Oregon?
      03-31-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've done it once and will be doing it again during April

It's a great experience and a nice chance to road trip in your new car
What are getting?!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
What are getting?!
X3m40 with the lsd. Gfs car.

My next pickup is a g80 6mt in green, but once the lci is out!
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Not that is a deal breaker, but you still pay the $995 destination charge? And how does registration work? Do you do that when you get home and do you have a certain amount of time to get that done?
Happy to answer those questions but WTF is your dealer doing?

The PCD will push out your availability probably three-weeks, but I've only dealt with East Coast customers. I do have a customer coming from Utah to pick up his special paint M3 stick probably in May when/if it gets here.

Everyone pays the $995, even if you pick your car up from the the local SC dealership. It's called Equalized Freight.

PC is very crowded right now and, like everyone, a bit understaffed. They will normally offer you one date, take-it-or-leave-it. They used to have some flexibility but PCD has become more popular and the Center hasn't gotten any larger. The people there are wonderful and helpful, speaking as a dealer as well as from feedback from every customer I've sent to them. If you do go, treat them like you'd want to be treated and thank them for what they're doing for you.

Assuming your new X5 is being built in April or May (otherwise you don't really have a production spot yet), your dealer needs to act quickly to complete the PCD application. Just do it! Don't even think about what the gas and everything else will cost you. Have fun.
Appreciate 3
Llarry15356.50
      03-31-2023, 08:41 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/delivery/
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-31-2023, 10:25 PM   #11
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Happy to answer those questions but WTF is your dealer doing?

The PCD will push out your availability probably three-weeks, but I've only dealt with East Coast customers. I do have a customer coming from Utah to pick up his special paint M3 stick probably in May when/if it gets here.

Everyone pays the $995, even if you pick your car up from the the local SC dealership. It's called Equalized Freight.

PC is very crowded right now and, like everyone, a bit understaffed. They will normally offer you one date, take-it-or-leave-it. They used to have some flexibility but PCD has become more popular and the Center hasn't gotten any larger. The people there are wonderful and helpful, speaking as a dealer as well as from feedback from every customer I've sent to them. If you do go, treat them like you'd want to be treated and thank them for what they're doing for you.

Assuming your new X5 is being built in April or May (otherwise you don't really have a production spot yet), your dealer needs to act quickly to complete the PCD application. Just do it! Don't even think about what the gas and everything else will cost you. Have fun.
Thanks. My dealer is fine and there’s no hurry. Ordered custom color so no build date yet. I was leaving him alone because I know he’s swamped with month end. I’ll reach out to him Monday. I was just being impatient here and trying to get feedback from folks here who have done it. The money isn’t a big deal, I was just curious.

The real question for us is timing and do we want to drive back to Oregon. We were planning a 3 week road trip to northeast (flying in and out) and had a week in UK worked in there too. So we’d have to change those plans, be flexible, eliminate UK and then decide if we want to be on the road for 5 weeks min. Trying to weigh all that.

While I have you….does the dealer register the car from afar prior to picking up? Reason I ask is that I’m buying the car from a CA dealer and it was being shipped to Oregon (no sales tax). So he can’t register it for me and if that’s required, the idea is dead in the water!

Thanks for the info.
      04-01-2023, 02:00 AM   #12
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Not that is a deal breaker, but you still pay the $995 destination charge? And how does registration work? Do you do that when you get home and do you have a certain amount of time to get that done? @Llarry, how long did you take to go back to Oregon?
I have a small llama farm and, as much as I would have liked to spend some extra time on the trip, felt like I needed to get back home. So, let's see -- I spent two nights in Tennessee at my sister's house, one near Little Rock, one in Amarillo, one in Albuquerque, two in Sedona, one near the Grand Canyon and one just south of Salt Lake City. Ten days on the road if my math is OK.

The dealership (BMW Portland) gave me a temp registration to tape to the back window for the trip. And then mailed my plates to me after I got home. (If you're in Portland you could just stop by the dealership; I'm down by Salem.)

I had some "pits" in the paint on the hood from insect hits when I got back but I got the car ceramic coated and the paint correction took care of those no problem.
      04-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #13
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
I have a small llama farm and, as much as I would have liked to spend some extra time on the trip, felt like I needed to get back home. So, let's see -- I spent two nights in Tennessee at my sister's house, one near Little Rock, one in Amarillo, one in Albuquerque, two in Sedona, one near the Grand Canyon and one just south of Salt Lake City. Ten days on the road if my math is OK.

The dealership (BMW Portland) gave me a temp registration to tape to the back window for the trip. And then mailed my plates to me after I got home. (If you're in Portland you could just stop by the dealership; I'm down by Salem.)

I had some "pits" in the paint on the hood from insect hits when I got back but I got the car ceramic coated and the paint correction took care of those no problem.
Thanks..we are in Bend. I don’t think this is going to work for me. I’m buying it in SoCal and he was shipping to me. Then I’d have to register it myself. The SoCal guy can’t register it to me in Oregon, so he won’t be able to do the same thing your dealer did (give me a temp registration). Unless I can register it without actually having the car. I’m getting an I4 from an Oregon dealer but he didn’t get any x5 allocations right away and also wouldn’t give me much of a deal. That’s why I went south.
      04-01-2023, 01:10 PM   #14
Revan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Did PCD on my M5 in November and just did it on X5 two weeks ago and was fortunate enough to be able to book 3hrs of private instruction the next day. We really enjoyed it both times and just drive the 400mi home.

Happy to answer any remaining questions you may have.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15356.50
      04-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #15
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Thanks..we are in Bend. I don’t think this is going to work for me. I’m buying it in SoCal and he was shipping to me. Then I’d have to register it myself. The SoCal guy can’t register it to me in Oregon, so he won’t be able to do the same thing your dealer did (give me a temp registration). Unless I can register it without actually having the car. I’m getting an I4 from an Oregon dealer but he didn’t get any x5 allocations right away and also wouldn’t give me much of a deal. That’s why I went south.
Alternative road trip option if PCD doesn't work out: Take delivery in SoCal and have a great drive back to Bend. Presuming it's open by then, take 395/139 and stop in Manzanr, Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, Bodie, Bridgeport, Reno/Tahoe, Klamath... my favorite drive!

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 04-01-2023 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #16
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Are you sure about the dealer not being able to register it for you? I ordered a car from a CA dealer back in 2019 and I live in North Carolina and they were able to get me temp plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #17
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm....,danger, danger! My understanding is that if an Oregon resident buys in California, you must pay Calif taxes, which are substantial. The only way around that (and years ago I bought a pickup that way) is to buy the vehicle in Calif and have it shipped to you, i.e, not take possession in Calif. I suppose taking possession in SC is OK for tax purposes. And you might want to check to see if you can do the trip permit (temp registration) yourself at the local DMV, the key being the manufacturer's certificate of origin.

The one thing that bothers some people is that you pay for the car well before you actually see it.
      04-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #18
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
A small digression: The 2017 M3 was Champagne Quartz, a somewhat difficult color to describe. In Utah, I passed a state trooper parked in the median at 100 mph in an 80-85 zone. I figured I was a goner. There was a minivan running about like me. At the next freeway entrance a second state trooper pulled out -- uh, oh! -- and pulled over the minivan. Sigh of relief. I figure the first guy had radioed and maybe had a tough time describing me "It's some kind of BMW without plates and I have no clue what color it is."
      04-02-2023, 03:43 AM   #19
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Alternative road trip option if PCD doesn't work out: Take delivery in SoCal and have a great drive back to Bend. Presuming it's open by then, take 395/139 and stop in Manzanr, Lone Pine, Bishop, Mammoth, Bodie, Bridgeport, Reno/Tahoe, Klamath... my favorite drive!
That’s a $6000 drive for me! Sales tax! But you are right, it’s a great route. Done it many times.
      04-02-2023, 03:50 AM   #20
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Are you sure about the dealer not being able to register it for you? I ordered a car from a CA dealer back in 2019 and I live in North Carolina and they were able to get me temp plates.
I spoke to the dealer. They said that Performance Center can issue temp registration. So now it’s so I want to add 2 weeks to a 3 week road trip to do it. All I can think of is it getting beat up on the Highway!
      04-02-2023, 03:54 AM   #21
deano17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Hmmm....,danger, danger! My understanding is that if an Oregon resident buys in California, you must pay Calif taxes, which are substantial. The only way around that (and years ago I bought a pickup that way) is to buy the vehicle in Calif and have it shipped to you, i.e, not take possession in Calif. I suppose taking possession in SC is OK for tax purposes. And you might want to check to see if you can do the trip permit (temp registration) yourself at the local DMV, the key being the manufacturer's certificate of origin.

The one thing that bothers some people is that you pay for the car well before you actually see it.
You are 100% correct on the tax. That’s why it was being shipped in the first place. Dealer did say yesterday that Performance center can issue temp registration. Now have to decide if the extra 2 week drive home is worth it.
      04-02-2023, 05:48 AM   #22
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Usually what happens is you pay estimated tax for the factory/performance center pick up and then when you reg it in your home state you pay the difference +/-
I am in NC and have done 2 PC deliveries and each time I bought thru a SC dealer then when I reg the new car in NC they dinged me for the extra
Appreciate 0