01-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
BBONG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

F80 M3 or F10 M5

Hello,

I been going back and forth between f80 M3 or F10 M5. I use to have an e92 m3 but i sold it due to family is growing. Now I am looking for a sedan and I can't decide what to get. Maybe you guys can help me and give me some input of a M5. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by BBONG; 01-07-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

F80 is kool. I kinda miss it. The power in the F90 M5 total different.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I was in the same boat before I got my car. I have a big family so I definitely needed the bigger car. Also the V8 TT can smack M3/M4 (ps I got stage two tune as well).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:58 AM   #4
BBONG
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I was in the same boat before I got my car. I have a big family so I definitely needed the bigger car. Also the V8 TT can smack M3/M4 (ps I got stage two tune as well).
So you did not regret getting the M5?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb View Post
Quote:
So you did not regret getting the M5?
No regrets at all. It's an awesome ride. I can seat 4-5 adults no problem. Take it to Costco and load it up with a bunch of groceries. Then take it to the drag strip to put down some runs beating mostly everyone there. This is my daily car as well. I drive about 40 miles a day work and no problem whatever so. From heated steering wheel and seats to rolling down the windows for a tunnel. It's the best all around vehicle
Appreciate 3
BMWM5NYC502.00
kushtrim177.50
pcohen15379.50
      01-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb View Post
Hello,

I been going back and forth between f80 M3 or F10 M5. I use to have an e92 m3 but i sold it due to family is growing. Now I am looking for a sedan and I can't decide what to get. Maybe you guys can help me and give me some input of a M5. Thank you in advance.
Up to 4 is ok for F80 then over that the M5 but remember m5 is no limo and long legs in the back means moving the fronts up from your comfy position.
Appreciate 1
BBONG185.00
      01-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
BBONG
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No regrets at all. It's an awesome ride. I can seat 4-5 adults no problem. Take it to Costco and load it up with a bunch of groceries. Then take it to the drag strip to put down some runs beating mostly everyone there. This is my daily car as well. I drive about 40 miles a day work and no problem whatever so. From heated steering wheel and seats to rolling down the windows for a tunnel. It's the best all around vehicle
Awesome. Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5722.50
      01-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520D EDynamics

To some extent I am in the same boat, I am considering an F10 M5 but have toyed with the idea of the F80 M3 also.

The way I see it, without having owned either is that the F10 M5 seems to provide a bigger bang for the buck, you seem to get a lot more car/performance for the same kinda of price if not just under what it might cost to buy a used M3.

Both cars would seat 5 people, but the M5 will do it in slightly more comfort I guess.

Both cars have a very similar 0-60 stock sprint it seems from reading, the M5 will come into its own on motorways when the numbers start notching up.

The M3 seems to provide people with a much more nimble point to point car for daily use, but the M5 isnt a slouch and people often seem to say the M5 shrinks around you as you drive it.

So I guess it boils down to budget, and whether you care for extra internal room, how important low speed agility is for you (seeing as low end speeds are very comparable from what I can gather), and how shouty you want the car to look (M5 being more under the radar)

For me, I am edging strongly towards the F10 M5 because like-for-like the 5 series offers more comfort/toys than an 3 series tends to, and I would expect the same applies to the Ms (eg headsup display being standard on an M5 but not on an M3 as an example?)
Appreciate 3
Ickdeep5722.50
BBONG185.00
BMWM5NYC502.00
      01-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Having had both ,the only reason I now have an M3 is that my M5 got written off, the M5 is more of a cruiser (and a bloody quick one at that) the M3 is more raw with more road noise as its not as well insulated. Used to find myself going alot faster in the M5 than I did the M3 just because it didn't feel as fast. Also the power delivery is very different with the M5 giving a brutal kick where as the M3 seems more linear. That being said I would say performance wise they are pretty close. Both stock 0-100mph wouldn't be much in it and the M5 might start to pull away after that. Tuned I'd say they would probably be similar depending on tunes of course (I've only put a CS map on mine for now, but my M5 I had a BM3 stage 2 tune on then went to stage 1 openflash) My M3 has more toys but then its a 2018 car and my M5 was 2013.. I did contemplate getting another M5 but there weren't any at dealers close to me and I saw the M3 and thought why not!

M5 was more comfortable with more space. M3 is still a nice place to be but seats are firmer and less space in the back but is alot more nimble and planted (can be partial to a bit of lift of over steer if you aren't paying attention).

Exhaust wise my M5 had straight through exhaust and my M3 has secondary cat and resonator delete and I would say they are both very loud (the M5 didn't notice unless the windows were down) M3 with the valves closed is quieter at idle tho! but I still switched off cold start as it was too much. Stock the M5 is very muted in the cabin so stock for stock M3 is louder

Lastly the M5 used to cost me about £80 a week in fuel the M3 is about £60
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5722.50
BBONG185.00
      01-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #10
BBONG
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
Having had both ,the only reason I now have an M3 is that my M5 got written off, the M5 is more of a cruiser (and a bloody quick one at that) the M3 is more raw with more road noise as its not as well insulated. Used to find myself going alot faster in the M5 than I did the M3 just because it didn't feel as fast. Also the power delivery is very different with the M5 giving a brutal kick where as the M3 seems more linear. That being said I would say performance wise they are pretty close. Both stock 0-100mph wouldn't be much in it and the M5 might start to pull away after that. Tuned I'd say they would probably be similar depending on tunes of course (I've only put a CS map on mine for now, but my M5 I had a BM3 stage 2 tune on then went to stage 1 openflash) My M3 has more toys but then its a 2018 car and my M5 was 2013.. I did contemplate getting another M5 but there weren't any at dealers close to me and I saw the M3 and thought why not!

M5 was more comfortable with more space. M3 is still a nice place to be but seats are firmer and less space in the back but is alot more nimble and planted (can be partial to a bit of lift of over steer if you aren't paying attention).

Exhaust wise my M5 had straight through exhaust and my M3 has secondary cat and resonator delete and I would say they are both very loud (the M5 didn't notice unless the windows were down) M3 with the valves closed is quieter at idle tho! but I still switched off cold start as it was too much. Stock the M5 is very muted in the cabin so stock for stock M3 is louder

wow thank you for taking your time to explain the different. I am deeply appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:49 AM   #11
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Great hearing your thoughts! As suspected there's not really a huge amount in it between the cars in terms to initial performance, and I'd expected the M5 to start running away at motorway kind of speed. Seems like my non-owner assessment isnt a million miles away of comparing both.

So if you had to replace your M3, and with you having owned both the F10 M5 and the F80 M3, which would you go back to again next if you were deciding between just the two? Which car just sang to you more?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #12
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
Great hearing your thoughts! As suspected there's not really a huge amount in it between the cars in terms to initial performance, and I'd expected the M5 to start running away at motorway kind of speed. Seems like my non-owner assessment isnt a million miles away of comparing both.

So if you had to replace your M3, and with you having owned both the F10 M5 and the F80 M3, which would you go back to again next if you were deciding between just the two? Which car just sang to you more?
Yes the M5 you can sit at 120mph and its like going 80mph in a normal saloon car... and you can put your foot down and still accelerate... well so I have been told...

I'd go F90 M5 haha and thats the main reason why I didn't go for an F10 to replace mine as I want a F90 in a few years time when they have done there first depreciation and figured the M3 would hold its value better
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
sarjoo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes the M5 you can sit at 120mph and its like going 80mph in a normal saloon car... and you can put your foot down and still accelerate... well so I have been told...

I'd go F90 M5 haha and thats the main reason why I didn't go for an F10 to replace mine as I want a F90 in a few years time when they have done there first depreciation and figured the M3 would hold its value better
Wandered past a local dealer and saw the dark blue F90 M5, man that thing looks so much better in person than photos for me. Interior also lovely. Cars look a lot bigger indoors than outside, so felt like I was inside a barge but I doubt it is much bigger than the F10 in reality.

Also saw the new X5...another lovely car, the internal dash with that mahoooooooosive screen looks amazing. The kidney grills on the front are gigantic, borderline comically big, biggest on any model I've seen so far.
Appreciate 0