M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #1
Johnny128
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M5, X5

013 BMW M5 Question for all who have this car......

Im thinking of picking up a 2013 M5 but wanted to know what problems are common on these? I was debating on the 535i for fuel economy but Ive always been a M owner and still am. Anyways I know that the E60's had bearing issues which I believe are not an issue with these F10's but would like confirmation. What major issues would someone like me expect and how difficult is it to work on? The motor looks intimidating but I am mechanically inclined by far no expert but DIY for sure.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

The '13s are noted for higher oil consumption, which was supposedly fixed (or is at least less prevalent/severe) going forward. Not all '13s have it and those that do have a pretty wide range. Personally I've averaged ~1700 miles per quart. Whether this is a major problem is up to you. I just keep a quart in the trunk and add when it says to.

they also revised/improved the injectors for future years. I believe all (or at least through a certain build date) '13s injectors are covered for 10 years/120K miles as a result. That said, I think at this point if the injectors on a '13 were bad, they'd have already shown it and been replaced. There might be considerations here if you're planning to tune, and others can speak better to that, but I've gotten the impression that at least a stage 1 is OK.

Lastly is the A/C condenser, but I believe all years (and F10s in general) have the tendency for them to go bad.

If I've missed anything from a common problems standpoint, others can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

My understanding is that the '13 build cars are fairly reliable.

Turbo coolant lines are a common issue affecting all F10 M5s (and even F90s) - there was a service campaign for it but they still are likely to prove an issue at some point.

Relatively easily identified and fixed. Part prices are a rip off from BMW for what they are, but still shouldn't break the bank.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60032.50
      02-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
Fatlardo
Registered
Rep
Drives: S2000

Thanks, potential buyer here. This is good info.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
I mean I had a 2013 for 6 months, it was issue after issue to where I traded car back in and leased a 2019 M550. I lost $4k in repairs and $8k on buy price to sell price, it had 32k miles and was beautiful. But it drank a qrt of oil every 650 miles, was just bad luck with series of plugs, coils, oil. Braman bmw tried saying they couldn't offer me very much trade in due to the list of repairs done by them and I had to get upset and remind them I just bought the car 6 months ago from them and had been repairing it since.
Love the f10 M5. You can get lucky or unlucky in my eyes if you get a 2013. I would factor in repairs and typical upkeep into your monthly payments. I had easy care warranty but deductible was $500, and doing one coil and one plug at a time it didn't help and dealer would only do one at a time unless I tooted the total bill. Then there was the constant trips to the dealer lol, time with loaners, my nerves always thinking another misfire, quart of oil always being carried in the trunk, I just was tired of having a part time job of keeping the car running
I wouldn't do it again, but that's only one example of a 2013. There are more people without issues I think than people with issues.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
The '13s are noted for higher oil consumption, which was supposedly fixed (or is at least less prevalent/severe) going forward. Not all '13s have it and those that do have a pretty wide range. Personally I've averaged ~1700 miles per quart. Whether this is a major problem is up to you. I just keep a quart in the trunk and add when it says to.

they also revised/improved the injectors for future years. I believe all (or at least through a certain build date) '13s injectors are covered for 10 years/120K miles as a result. That said, I think at this point if the injectors on a '13 were bad, they'd have already shown it and been replaced. There might be considerations here if you're planning to tune, and others can speak better to that, but I've gotten the impression that at least a stage 1 is OK.

Lastly is the A/C condenser, but I believe all years (and F10s in general) have the tendency for them to go bad.

If I've missed anything from a common problems standpoint, others can chime in.
Thank you for the info. Good to know its nothing major like the rod bearings or anything that can be major like the older M5's. That was my main concern. Sucks theres no way to test the consumption prior to purchase and is pretty much a gamble on how much its going to consume. Ive just read some where in the hundred miles range before they had to put more oil in which sucks! Injectors was another major one I heard of but good to know that its warrantied still.

The A/C Condenser you are talking about is that the one in the inside that leaks water? I read something about that and also that cover piece under the passenger side that leaks as well.

As for tuning I may keep this car stock as it will be my daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisterB View Post
My understanding is that the '13 build cars are fairly reliable.

Turbo coolant lines are a common issue affecting all F10 M5s (and even F90s) - there was a service campaign for it but they still are likely to prove an issue at some point.

Relatively easily identified and fixed. Part prices are a rip off from BMW for what they are, but still shouldn't break the bank.
I can live with something like that. Shouldn't be to hard to replace. Only thing that would scare me is that it leaks it all out and car over heats! But doesn't seem like thats the case at least from what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
I mean I had a 2013 for 6 months, it was issue after issue to where I traded car back in and leased a 2019 M550. I lost $4k in repairs and $8k on buy price to sell price, it had 32k miles and was beautiful. But it drank a qrt of oil every 650 miles, was just bad luck with series of plugs, coils, oil. Braman bmw tried saying they couldn't offer me very much trade in due to the list of repairs done by them and I had to get upset and remind them I just bought the car 6 months ago from them and had been repairing it since.
Love the f10 M5. You can get lucky or unlucky in my eyes if you get a 2013. I would factor in repairs and typical upkeep into your monthly payments. I had easy care warranty but deductible was $500, and doing one coil and one plug at a time it didn't help and dealer would only do one at a time unless I tooted the total bill. Then there was the constant trips to the dealer lol, time with loaners, my nerves always thinking another misfire, quart of oil always being carried in the trunk, I just was tired of having a part time job of keeping the car running
I wouldn't do it again, but that's only one example of a 2013. There are more people without issues I think than people with issues.
There are talk of most people putting oil in due to the consumption but like you read horror stories of a lot of people saying that it was 1000 then went to 800 and so on and it got to the point that they had to put it in or at least check every time they drove it as it consumed so much oil. But some have been lucky and had no issues or minor top offs.

Any major issues other then the ones discussed? Nothing that can cause a motor failure or transmission failure is my main concerns.

Also anything I should check while Im looking at these? Got 2 Im looking at this weekend and possibly a E63 as well. Im torn between the 2 at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

You could get a 14-15-16 year and have issues, even F90's have had issues with bearings etc.Surprised no one has yet suggested a technician use an engine stethoscope to determine the health of an engine before purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
You could get a 14-15-16 year and have issues, even F90's have had issues with bearings etc.Surprised no one has yet suggested a technician use an engine stethoscope to determine the health of an engine before purchase
Interesting didn't know that the F90's had those issues as well. No real way to verify if one is effected by it is there?

Most likely when I find the right one Ill probably have a dealer do a full check on it prior to signing the dotted line. Unfortunately the ones Im looking at are out of warranty so got to figure out who has reasonable third party warranty? Any suggestions for ones who is out of warranty and if you ended up going with.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny128 View Post
Interesting didn't know that the F90's had those issues as well. No real way to verify if one is effected by it is there?

Most likely when I find the right one Ill probably have a dealer do a full check on it prior to signing the dotted line. Unfortunately the ones Im looking at are out of warranty so got to figure out who has reasonable third party warranty? Any suggestions for ones who is out of warranty and if you ended up going with.
As I've mentioned get a technician to do an engine check up on your chosen M with the probe I've mentioned.It should give the closest result to a trained ear short of stripping it down.Rod bearings seem to be a problem on abused M engines especially those that used a copper mix like on E60 M5 and some M3's.As far as I know there is no copper mix on F10 r/bearings.
..and GL finding a warranty once you've found one.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
Johnny128
Rep

Quote:
As I've mentioned get a technician to do an engine check up on your chosen M with the probe I've mentioned.It should give the closest result to a trained ear short of stripping it down.Rod bearings seem to be a problem on abused M engines especially those that used a copper mix like on E60 M5 and some M3's.As far as I know there is no copper mix on F10 r/bearings.
..and GL finding a warranty once you've found one.
Thanks for the additional info. Ill most likely have BMW do a overall check prior to purchasing one. As for warranty I found a third party Patriot I believe who stated they will cover the M5 but going to have to read the fine print as Im sure there is one.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny128 View Post
Thanks for the additional info. Ill most likely have BMW do a overall check prior to purchasing one. As for warranty I found a third party Patriot I believe who stated they will cover the M5 but going to have to read the fine print as Im sure there is one.
Do a quick search here on Patriot. Basically can be a good deal and well covered but only if you read the fine print and call them out on any "mistakes" in the policy.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

Yup. I had to get with one of their supervisors to get what I wanted into the fine print. Basically the aggregate value of the contract, based on bill of sale, and not kbb etc, as well as the labor rate. I was verbally told that the $149 / hr rate here in Houston would be covered, no problem. Then the fine print had reverted back to their standard $120 / hr rate. If you get to that point, PM me and I'll give you the contact who got it squared away.
      02-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine_M5 View Post
Well new to this forum, ive had the ultimate bad luck with my 13 F10 M5. Car has tons of aftermarket but i bought it from a dealer September 2019 and bought it sight unseen. Im in Denver and i purchased it from a dealer in Cali. drove the car 30 miles and it blew a rod bearing straight through the block, didnt have it back for a few months. That was about $15,500 for new long block and labor. Since then the HPFP on the passenger side went out which was covered under extended warranty. I absolutely love my car and i have tons of aftermarket on it but owning out of warranty...you need to be careful! Get it inspected!!!
I had mine inspected. Is there any symptom for rod bearings? I've already got a oil analysis for Blackstone scheduled. Anything I should look for in the findings?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

Well mine was knocking since i bought it and got it off the hauler. I though it was just cold but main thing i noticed was a weird knocking when i took my foot off the gas, very evident after harder acceleration. Causes of rod bearing failure can be many things, most common is pulling too much powerout of the car. I wouldnt go higher than stage 1 tuning wise. You put your bearings at risk with more boost, your clutches, spark plugs etc...

Just make sure you get it inspected before buying or go drive it. Let the car warm up until the quarter dot mark on the dash before getting on it, change oil regularly and limit power/boost if tuning it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Have owned my GC for many years outside of warranty without issue. 14's have newer injectors and a revised HPFP which make it much better if you plan to tune it. LCI also which means it will always be worth more. 15 and above also have stronger clutch packs.

There's no reason in the world not to get a 13 vs a 14, since you'll be getting the majority back in resale - not even factoring in a lesser chance of failed parts along the way!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #16
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

Yes def correct on the 14 vs 13. 13's you can get quite cheaper than a 14. I was on a budget for paying cash on a car so i did the 2013. If i stay with a bmw it will be a 2014+ M6 next time or M5 with comp package. I love the way my car looks though, alpine white with all carbon fiber add on's and black accents and wheels. I am glad to know he HPFP and injectors are all under warranty for as long as Ill own it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:18 AM   #17
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I had my -14 at the dealer through a buddy who works there, he said, “oh, you have the S63TU engine, that’s good, much less trouble with those”.
Guess the S63TU engine came with the facelift models in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #18
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
I had my -14 at the dealer through a buddy who works there, he said, “oh, you have the S63TU engine, that’s good, much less trouble with those”.
Guess the S63TU engine came with the facelift models in 2014.
No mate, came on in 2011.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #19
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
No mate, came on in 2011.
You are right

I have seen the TU upgrade coming on facelift cars in the past, I forgot that the S63 was used before the F10 body was released in the XM models.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #20
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I think like many owners I get a bit nervous about the ‘blown engine’ stories but does anyone know in reality how many of those engines were tuned and/or were driven particularly hard? Is the blown engine scenario a consideration for the vanilla driver or is it something for the people who really want to push the car?

It’s hard to get an M5 far past tickover on a UK road these days.
Appreciate 1
sumairm10.50
      03-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I think like many owners I get a bit nervous about the ‘blown engine’ stories but does anyone know in reality how many of those engines were tuned and/or were driven particularly hard? Is the blown engine scenario a consideration for the vanilla driver or is it something for the people who really want to push the car?

It’s hard to get an M5 far past tickover on a UK road these days.
You're obviously using the wrong roads mate,if you want a burn need to get up early at weekends..where abouts are you.
Appreciate 0