BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

Drove the new M5 today-Dissapointed! (Updated with great impression from 2nd drive!)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

Just back from my test drive of the new M5. It was in singapore grey and had just about every extra possible. This colour is truly magical and along with the fantastic 20 inch alloys made the car look monstrous and menacing from the exterior. You can really tell this is an m5 car from the outside and in the flesh it looks so much better, bigger and muscular. The car screams out thunder and warns you this is not for the faint hearted.

The SA took the car to the garage to fuel up and then I took over. It had the stop/start function which confused me for all of 0.5 seconds. I drove it slowly to start with as there was traffic. It felt smooth and tame and not in any particular hurry. I did press on the accelerator a few times but no urgency to shift was felt. I took it onto a country road and then let rip...........but no real excitement.

I have driven the old M5 and the current M3 and they really do throw you back. However, there was no neck breaking thrust with this car. After 10 minutes of the drive and the SA asked me what I felt. I was honest and told him I felt it was slow. He knocked the car into sport mode and I have to say this did alter the responsiveness of the car. It was definitely more thrusty and pulled well. I can't say I noticed any significant lag and it reached 100+mph in a blink of an eye, but there was something missing and you feel like there is something missing in the thrusters!

The drive feels forced rather than natural with a definite lack of spirit. I have been looking forward to driving this monster all week and all I could think was this is dissapointing! Anyway I parked up in the BMW car park and got out to take another look at the exterior. The SA said I just need to move it a little further along. He started the car and suddenly I heard what was missing. The roaring noise of an M car, growling with menace and intent. You cannot hear it when you are sat inside, you hear some noise but nothing exciting. The cabin feel is just not right for me. The lack of the M5 noise along with the lack of thrust and numbing of any agility in the car mean I am rejecting this M5.

I know others have had super experiences and it obviously has ticked the right boxes for them but i'm afraid it is a failure for me. Gosh, I never thought i'd be writing such a negative review on this iconic name. Maybe i'd just built up my expectations too high and there was only one place to go from there. But for this kind of money you expect to be thrilled and thrilled I wasn't.

I have had this experience before where I reject a new BMW model and then try the others and end up coming back to BMW. But for now I need to look elsewhere and see the rest.

Last edited by snawaz; 12-12-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Is your M3 a manual? Maybe it's the DCT hiding everything. I owned a GTR and it felt fast but it wasn't neck snapping. It was just fast. My buddies STi though much slower, felt amazing because he had to pause for every shift and snapped everyone's neck six times to get to 6th
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Is your M3 a manual? Maybe it's the DCT hiding everything. I owned a GTR and it felt fast but it wasn't neck snapping. It was just fast. My buddies STi though much slower, felt amazing because he had to pause for every shift and snapped everyone's neck six times to get to 6th
I think you are right. I think it has a lot to do with the gear changes. You just don't know the car has changed gear in the new M5 because of the DCT. The changes must be super quick and super smooth because they are not noticeable at all.

Like I say. I'm sure i'll probably end up buying the M5 after I have tried the competition. I have done this on two previous ocassions and always ended up with the Beemer. I believe I hyped up this car too much in my mind. When you see that video of the black M5 driving on those country road in England, what a video! Thrilling and awe inspiring! I guess you need a track day for that kind of experience!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT

Thank God the Usa is getting the 6mt. Otherwise, I would not be getting the new M5 when it's released over here. When I drove the gran turismo I felt the same lag, and reluctance to downshift. It always felt like it was two gears too high and that car uses basically a detuned version of the engine in the M5. If I wanted a 7 series with it's limousine like ride, I would get one. The M5 should be a wolf in sheeps clothing not the other way around. I will reserve my decision until magazines get their hands on the 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Lack of thrust? With that much torque I wouldnt imagine a deficiency. Plus Chris Harris has equated the acceleration to a mini Veyron. I need to try for myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
Hi all,

Just back from my test drive of the new M5. It was in singapore grey and had just about every extra possible. This colour is truly magical and along with the fantastic 20 inch alloys made the car look monstrous and menacing from the exterior. You can really tell this is an m5 car from the outside and in the flesh it looks so much better, bigger and muscular. The car screams out thunder and warns you this is not for the faint hearted.

The SA took the car to the garage to fuel up and then I took over. It had the stop/start function which confused me for all of 0.5 seconds. I drove it slowly to start with as there was traffic. It felt smooth and tame and not in any particular hurry. I did press on the accelerator a few times but no urgency to shift was felt. I took it onto a country road and then let rip...........but no real excitement.

I have driven the old M5 and the current M3 and they really do throw you back. However, there was no neck breaking thrust with this car. After 10 minutes of the drive and the SA asked me what I felt. I was honest and told him I felt it was slow. He knocked the car into sport mode and I have to say this did alter the responsiveness of the car. It was definitely more thrusty and pulled well. I can't say I noticed any significant lag and it reached 100+mph in a blink of an eye, but there was something missing and you feel like there is something missing in the thrusters!

The drive feels forced rather than natural with a definite lack of spirit. I have been looking forward to driving this monster all week and all I could think was this is dissapointing! Anyway I parked up in the BMW car park and got out to take another look at the exterior. The SA said I just need to move it a little further along. He started the car and suddenly I heard what was missing. The roaring noise of an M car, growling with menace and intent. You cannot hear it when you are sat inside, you hear some noise but nothing exciting. The cabin feel is just not right for me. The lack of the M5 noise along with the lack of thrust and numbing of any agility in the car mean I am rejecting this M5.

I know others have had super experiences and it obviously has ticked the right boxes for them but i'm afraid it is a failure for me. Gosh, I never thought i'd be writing such a negative review on this iconic name. Maybe i'd just built up my expectations too high and there was only one place to go from there. But for this kind of money you expect to be thrilled and thrilled I wasn't.

I have had this experience before where I reject a new BMW model and then try the others and end up coming back to BMW. But for now I need to look elsewhere and see the rest.
That is quite puzzling, especially if you're noting the 'lack of thrust'. Every magazine review I've read, along with the performance data states just the opposite. Was the road surface slippery? Were you activating stability control when you punched it? There is another similar review on another forum where the car was fitted with undersized 265 tires in the rear, and the traction control was constantly intervening.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Hi all,

Your opinion I guess but from my experience on the track and street in Spain I will say its one amazing ride in every way. I loved the sound, I loved the thrust in every gear. The torque was just unreal. Not sure what you were expecting but its a perfect super saloon with space, toys, and tech to boot!

Having owned the E60 M5 I was very impressed with the F10 and got goose bumps all over. My only complaint is that when I buy it in MT it will only have 1 cup holder instead of 2 in DCT
      12-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Lack of thrust? You know, opinions are different however, i still believe the thrust is truly great. Go to a uphill in 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, put the car in Sport+ mode, and then floor it. what you get is a big cloud of smoke. That's thrust IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Hi all,

I am truly surprised by this review. Lack of thrust is something I don't think you can seriously level at the new M5. I am guessing there was some problem with the traction the day you drive it and the DSC was kicking in s fair bit. Your review is completely inconsistent with my, and other's, experience of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
I am truly surprised by this review. Lack of thrust is something I don't think you can seriously level at the new M5. I am guessing there was some problem with the traction the day you drive it and the DSC was kicking in s fair bit. Your review is completely inconsistent with my, and other's, experience of the car.
I have read some of you guys responses and I don't know now. Maybe I am wrong. I will revisit this car again. I will get on to my SA again and ask him the questions and test drive again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

yes when I drove the new F10 M5 I had the same feeling, they did take away a lot of the raw feeling you get from a M car.

the die hard feeling

but on the other hand I think they have done a much better job by blending in sport+luxury compared to the old M5

I feel from seeing the new 6 series as well BMW has really stepped up the game in the interior and overall luxury feel of a high end car.

and I think for what they will charge for the F10 M5 luxury is a must

BUT THE F10 M5 IS A REALLY FAST STOCK CAR .... NO WAY ITS LACKING OF POWER

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The car is a Beast!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Lack of thrust? i don't see how that's possible from that beast... i want to test drive one myself, but I rather not, because I know i'll be selling my arms and legs to get one
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

How does it compare to what you drive now? If 501 ft-lbs of torque at 1700 rpms feels like it is lacking trust, your car's torque must feel like a snail?????
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #15
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Do u have pics? I like that color combo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Do u have pics? I like that color combo
Retested the car today. I have to say all the problems I noted the other day were not there. I did mention our discussions on the forum to the SA and he then set the car to full sport mode. It was definately not in full sport mode the other day. Drove like a dream today. Very fast and lots of thrust and the noise was thrilling. Overall complete different experience. I am now in the process of working out a deal with the SA. Let's see what deal I get.

I have loaded some photos from today. It was outcast therefore a little dull pictures. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

what kind of salesmen lets someone test drive an m car not to its fullest potential?! lol

glad it was better with sport mode engaged
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Man...I know this car's stats are off the chart....but visually, it's just not "aggressive" enough on the eyeball scale I sure wish that the flagship 5 Series would look radically different from the 550
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole328 View Post
Man...I know this car's stats are off the chart....but visually, it's just not "aggressive" enough on the eyeball scale I sure wish that the flagship 5 Series would look radically different from the 550
I think you're missing the point and it's one that BMW excel at - it's the wolf in sheep's clothing approach, as opposed to the full-on, in-your-face and somewhat tactless styling adopted by other manufacturers.
The exhausts, wheel arches and front bumper tell the initiated all they need to know. As in most things of taste and quality, it's a case of 'less is more'.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I think you're missing the point and it's one that BMW excel at - it's the wolf in sheep's clothing approach, as opposed to the full-on, in-your-face and somewhat tactless styling adopted by other manufacturers.
The exhausts, wheel arches and front bumper tell the initiated all they need to know. As in most things of taste and quality, it's a case of 'less is more'.
Thanks for the response Good points...I just wish that it looked a bit more unique. After all, we're spending a bunch more money on the car, and selfishly, I wish it had the visual cache' value.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole328 View Post
Thanks for the response Good points...I just wish that it looked a bit more unique. After all, we're spending a bunch more money on the car, and selfishly, I wish it had the visual cache' value.
Believe me in the flesh this looks distinctly different to the 5 series. It looks like a monster and it looks like it means business.! The proportions are just perfect, not too much or too little. The reason I did not take any photos initially was because I knew they would not do justice to how monstrous it looks in real.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
what kind of salesmen lets someone test drive an m car not to its fullest potential?! lol

glad it was better with sport mode engaged
My SA friend, in the photo, the one shivering his pants off while I am taking photos. Poor kid has only been with BMW for over a year! I had lots of questions to ask him today and to be honest he looked puzzled on quite a few of them. Unfortunately it looks like we know more about the car than they do. Well they do have to cover the whole range!

Also its not as simple as just engaging sport mode. You can change the setting through the i-drive to change the throttle, gears and steering responsiveness. This made a big difference.
Appreciate 0