M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #23
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

BMW might consider making cars that have air conditioners that actually cool, software that doesn't frequently fail to the point of preventing you from driving away. Maybe even fix the spontaneous yanking of the steering wheel. After owning more than ten BMWs my 2019 X5 will be the last one I ever buy. It's crap and expensive crap at that.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      08-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Hey... hey mister !

A rear wheel drive 2 series sedan might be a good idea ..

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
[SIZE="3"]BMW CEO urges staff to narrow sales gap with Mercedes[/SIZE]

FRANKFURT -- BMW's new CEO, Oliver Zipse, urged employees to embrace change and to find innovative ways to help the automaker overtake rival Mercedes-Benz at a time when demand for luxury cars is waning.

Zipse addressed staff in an internal email a day after his predecessor Harald Krueger stepped down.

BMW has lost ground to Mercedes-Benz producer Daimler in the past five years and seen rivals such as Tesla jump ahead in electric car sales.

"Instead of blaming the current situation, conditions, political landscape or particular individuals, a positive spirit will enable us to seize the opportunities available to us. Such a positive spirit will be reflected in our culture: the harder the job, the more innovative our solution," Zipse said.
Simple.

Build more SUVs.

https://abc7.com/automotive/bmws-ico...enges/5465630/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #26
ThomasM3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If they want to sell more cars they need to get rid of their terrible residuals that they have been rolling out. I understand that it wasn't very profitable before but their cars are outrageously expensive to lease now and it's not making sense to a lot of people. Clients see it's less expensive to buy it than lease it, but are dead set on leasing, so they just go to a different brand. I've seen people jump "down" to Ford/Chevy or across the board to Audi/Mercedes time and time again simply because the payment is a little bit less. I think a lot of BMW's newer clients aren't necessarily concerned with brand loyalty, no matter how much they loved their previous car. Even the clients that are very loyal are sometimes forced to seek out a different vehicle because they're SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. If the payment doesn't work, it doesn't work. Somebody else mentioned less dealer support and I think that's playing a role too. I leased a brand new 340i back when they came out because it made 100% total sense. The warranty was great, the maintenance plan was wonderful (covered brakes!), and the support from the manufacturer to the dealership was there was well from an incentive standpoint. When I got my M3 things just weren't the same. I love BMW (have had 3 in my short time on this planet), but wouldn't be afraid to jump ship to a Z06 or a base 911. Value is value. Payment matters.
Appreciate 1
alex23642846.50
      08-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
BMW desperately trying to remain independent. Resisting the slow GM-ifcation via govt directed EV implementation along with changing consumer preferences.

The electric motor is essentially a commodity product so imagine a world where there are only 3-4 EV powertrain suppliers which sell to automakers worldwide.

These powertrain suppliers will come about via consolidation of automakers themselves or perhaps a joint venture. In the end consumer choice will be reduced to the equivalent of renting a self-driving golfcart with a different badge.
Well... you might be on to something ...

https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...icle6-headline
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      08-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #28
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Hey... hey mister !

A rear wheel drive 2 series sedan might be a good idea ..
Agreed, the idea on FWD was to steal customer that feel more comfortable driving in winter conditions.
For us is more RWD or nothing
      08-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

BMW should review their bad customer service, especially in Canada. They have lost my next purchases and I don't recommend them to my friends and family...just for 2019 they lost 5 new sales and 2 new lease following my "recommendations" ....I guess MB and Audi get new sales!
Appreciate 1
dr3wzilla138.00
      08-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #30
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

There's one car I want more than anything and that is an M2 sedan. RWD and 6MT are a must. Wishful thinking, I know.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Besides focusing on EV and SAV that ere obviously taking over, they should go back to the original maintenance schedule coverage and better lease/ finance and there you go.

Sales will increase in no time.
M 4EVER191.00
      08-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #32
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Basically bmw just trying to sell cars with all these 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 series cars keep bmw a luxury brand , I tell you many friends and family members switched to Mercedes, not every one wants just a sports car , if you are going to sell so many models have a few luxury cars , the 7 series was abandoned as a luxurious sedan it is more sport oriented now , yes many of us bmw owners love the 7 but my father or uncle would take a Lexus or Benz over it any day , dump all the cheap bmw models, have a good mix of high end luxury and sport sedans and suvs bring back the status of ownership of a bmw , like Mercedes has , bring back the included full maintenance, and include more luxurious interiors like Mercedes, there leather is night and day from bmw and there full digital dash is a work of art , and implementation of new technology inline with every other automakers is a must not 5 years later, shit my 2019 is my first bmw with remote start, I had it 10 years ago in my other vehicle's
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #33
kramerj
Rep
Drives: '99 M Coupe, '08 M3/4/6

Stop selling Corollas.
Appreciate 3
19x459.50
Germanauto9665.50
      08-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #34
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerj View Post
Stop selling Corollas.
lol

/thread

This pretty much sums up everything.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #35
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Didn't BMW decide to prioritize profitability rather than sales volume? At least that is what they did with the US market.
No, in the US market they just failed. That's why they have a new CEO.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #36
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Start by redesigning the entire lineup ! Go to a BMW dealership...it's just sad compared to 10 years ago.
Appreciate 3
Siajoon1853.50
scanspeak353.50
      08-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #37
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think they're avoiding the value of word of mouth marketing.
BMW became cool because car people liked the M cars. BMW currently caters the M cars to non car people to boost sales of profitable cars.

Well business men don't like bumpy loud M cars. They like smooth comfortable cars. I think having a rough rider as your top trim is a really bad mistake.
You don't have to look Far to find car people or even BMW people criticizing nu-BMW cars. Leaders likely don't like M cars as they're not comfortable and most M faithful don't want a 3600 M2.

Essentially the brand has cycled though from cool brand to popular brand to formerly cool brand and soon will be formerly popular brand. Yes many dollars were made along the way and that's business.

If BMW wants to remain cool long term they need to...remain cool long term. 4200 lbs slush box auto AWD 'sports' cars? No Motorsport program really in existence? This brand is sport flavored Toyota at this point.

M5 with RWD ttV8 dogbox 5 seats and some cheap vents and an aux cable stereo would be cool and make people excited and hyping up the brand. It's crazy that they're basically all 3 making the same cars and trying to pry leasers from each other with gimmicks like laser head lights and gesture control. They sell these cars though stupid gimmicks 'look what my car has'.

People will pay for cool. Gesture control is not cool and nobody cares.

Basically the car people will move on to a Caterham style small company making a cool sports car and BMW will age poorly like Chanel or Cadillac. The shareholders will squeeze every dime they can from the brand and it will go away and something new will replace it and the whole thing will start over.

BMW is obviously selling a cheap to produce product with some lipstick on it. I think most on here can detect that they're pushing loyal customers too far and they're ruining the good will they created. They won't even fund a WEC team to run 6 races this year. Just pathetic.

For me? I'll buy Lotus or Caterham next time. Audi has a better interior for commuting and all 3 Germans ride the same. Why get BMW in 2019? AMG GT and Audi R8 are atleast proper race cars. BMW offers you 4000 lbs CLAR platform #8 linked to a defunct race program that not even BoP could save.

That's the bottom line. They're not cool. They're not the car to have anymore. They're a gross amalgamation of gimmicks and cheap chassis and transmissions trying to be everything for every customer at the same time. They've damaged the brand.

The WIR WUSSEN BAYERISCHEN M vision concept is the biggest joke of all and just goes to show how out of touch the company is with what BMW is.
Appreciate 2
GGG333603.50
      08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #38
Eziggy
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM3 View Post
If they want to sell more cars they need to get rid of their terrible residuals that they have been rolling out. I understand that it wasn't very profitable before but their cars are outrageously expensive to lease now and it's not making sense to a lot of people. Clients see it's less expensive to buy it than lease it, but are dead set on leasing, so they just go to a different brand. I've seen people jump "down" to Ford/Chevy or across the board to Audi/Mercedes time and time again simply because the payment is a little bit less. I think a lot of BMW's newer clients aren't necessarily concerned with brand loyalty, no matter how much they loved their previous car. Even the clients that are very loyal are sometimes forced to seek out a different vehicle because they're SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. If the payment doesn't work, it doesn't work. Somebody else mentioned less dealer support and I think that's playing a role too. I leased a brand new 340i back when they came out because it made 100% total sense. The warranty was great, the maintenance plan was wonderful (covered brakes!), and the support from the manufacturer to the dealership was there was well from an incentive standpoint. When I got my M3 things just weren't the same. I love BMW (have had 3 in my short time on this planet), but wouldn't be afraid to jump ship to a Z06 or a base 911. Value is value. Payment matters.
Having just gone through a recent comparison with the 3 major German brands, BMW still had the highest residual % by a large margin. In comparison, Mercedes was 10% less and Audi 5-6% less than the BMW, even on 2020 models. This brought up lease payments for the competition significantly in comparison (with similar sales price and money down).

That being said when we compared the Audi SQ5 to the X3 M40i we liked the SQ5 better. X3 M40i was more powerful with tighter suspension, but the M40i felt heavier and less nimble. Most people I know who have switched out of BMW is because they feel the driving experience has become less fun over the last 6 years.

That being said we did end up ordering a 2020 X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #39
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mac View Post
lol

/thread

This pretty much sums up everything.
Bmw as Merceds started the entry level cars to get new customers in, which eventually will spend more money on upper level model

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
No, in the US market they just failed. That's why they have a new CEO.
Partial in US.... will see which direction will be focusing on.
      08-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #40
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Everyone reads their own story, I would still think top priority is electrical vehicle if it doesn't want to just die...
Appreciate 2
Miko M6648.50
M 4EVER191.00
      08-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #41
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Didn't BMW decide to prioritize profitability rather than sales volume? At least that is what they did with the US market.
With new leadership anything or everything could change in a whim.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM3 View Post
I understand where you're coming from but in the article he clearly compares BMW to Mercedes and if you were to search for competing model vehicles especially the AMG and the M cars the mercedes cars are always more expensive to lease and have horrible residual percentages...
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      08-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #43
ThomasM3
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
I understand where you're coming from but in the article he clearly compares BMW to Mercedes and if you were to search for competing model vehicles especially the AMG and the M cars the mercedes cars are always more expensive to lease and have horrible residual percentages...
I guess what I am really trying to say is that the models BMW "competes" with and the models their cars are actually cross shopped against are very different and there are several options a consumer has today aside from BMW that offer performance, value, and luxury and BMW raising their residuals isn't helping make a client's decision any easier.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      08-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #44
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Translation: More 320i's
clee1982796.00