M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

AMG GTS...

Long story short, I test drove a AMG GTS couple of weeks ago and loved it. It never left my mind and i went back this past weekend and saw it again. It felt epic.

I just got the M5 this year and love the beast. AMG GTS will strictly be a toy. As it is, I only have 3.5k miles on my M5 and that's my primary car since June 2015. This should give you a sense of how much I am able to drive...

Should I get it? For those who have owned both, do you think you can get bored of the two quickly? Given M5 is a beast and I have always owned sedans, I may get bored of the AMG / not use it as much.

If I do get bored, and sell the AMG in a year, is that a big hit?

Damn, I should have never driven that car...
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Sounds like a job for Vic55.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

There isn't a damn thing I don't love about that car. It's so incredibly fun to drive. Go for it and never look back IMO
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Its a tremendous car. I have one now and owned an M5 from 10/2012 to about 04/2013... for me the M5 wasn't boring but I just like change and new options. I have had my GTS since May and its not let me down once. The steering, suspension, chassis, tq, hp, and interior luxury is incredible. Since this is not really an M5 comparo Ill just speak to the GTS. I normally keep cars 6-9 months and the AMG is nearing that first milestone and its NOT going anywhere. Yes I have tuned it with some serious gains (110hp and 134tq) in the sweet spot ranges but the car just drives incredibly well, especially for a RWD car.

Since you drove it, you know how it feels initially. From my ownership view, it has only got better as I learned the car more and its pro's and very very limited con's. I guess the best way for me to help you is to ask: was this test drive the best or one of the best you have had? Was it better than the M5 test drive or other cars you owned? Yes its just a test drive but initial feelings say a lot IMHO.

Here is my first post on the car:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=vic55
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55
Its a tremendous car. I have one now and owned an M5 from 10/2012 to about 04/2013... for me the M5 wasn't boring but I just like change and new options. I have had my GTS since May and its not let me down once. The steering, suspension, chassis, tq, hp, and interior luxury is incredible. Since this is not really an M5 comparo Ill just speak to the GTS. I normally keep cars 6-9 months and the AMG is nearing that first milestone and its NOT going anywhere. Yes I have tuned it with some serious gains (110hp and 134tq) in the sweet spot ranges but the car just drives incredibly well, especially for a RWD car.

Since you drove it, you know how it feels initially. From my ownership view, it has only got better as I learned the car more and its pro's and very very limited con's. I guess the best way for me to help you is to ask: was this test drive the best or one of the best you have had? Was it better than the M5 test drive or other cars you owned? Yes its just a test drive but initial feelings say a lot IMHO.
Vic - thanks for chiming in. It was the best test drive I have had. But my only reference points at M5 (comp and non comp), M6 (comp and non comp), E90 M3, 2014 911 Turbo, and this.

The car just felt right. I can't describe it any better. It's proportions are just right, interior is fantastic, very easy to handle and sounds great.

I'm concerned about if I do get bored (I can't see why but if I do), am I looking at a steep hit? I usually research my cars for at least a few months and work out all the angles before diving into it. But I have never driven anything like it. It just blew me away and I'm afraid I may be thinking too much by the heart. Buying it is easy and I got a second spot in my condo parking. But it's the hit that I'm concerned about - that can sting!
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Vic - thanks for chiming in. It was the best test drive I have had. But my only reference points at M5 (comp and non comp), M6 (comp and non comp), E90 M3, 2014 911 Turbo, and this.

The car just felt right. I can't describe it any better. It's proportions are just right, interior is fantastic, very easy to handle and sounds great.

I'm concerned about if I do get bored (I can't see why but if I do), am I looking at a steep hit? I usually research my cars for at least a few months and work out all the angles before diving into it. But I have never driven anything like it. It just blew me away and I'm afraid I may be thinking too much by the heart. Buying it is easy and I got a second spot in my condo parking. But it's the hit that I'm concerned about - that can sting!
I cant tell you how the market will dictate down the road but if that's your primary concern then Ill say this: the first auction sales on the car (test cars) came back very strong vs original msrp's. The M5 wont fare any better nor does almost any luxury car sans unique Ferrari models. From a numbers view, the car has about 11% in it from msrp to net of hold back and about 6% from msrp to invoice. If you can find one that has been on the lot for a bit I think you could get 5% off the car. If you are in Cali then pricing will be more steep. I bought mine for msrp last May (144k) and have offers now at 135-140k via dealer trade in's. I do have low miles (under 1200) so that helps. I just don't think you should miss the opportunity if its financially sound for you and the family.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I took my first test drive of the GTS on Saturday. I really enjoyed it too. A few things stood out:
1) Handling is superb - really flat in corners.
2) Sound is brilliant - I actually think it sounds louder than my F-Type, though it is certainly a little less theatrical (no machine gun fire sound).
3) Power response and gearbox are great

The only thing that did bother me though was how prone the car is to wheelspin. Seemed a lot like my F-Type in that regard. Made me wonder whether I should just get a 911 Turbo S instead. These days it seems you can get a 2014 Turbo S for around $130-140k. So that's a little less than 2016 AMG GTS.

As for depreciation - so far the GTS is doing very well - but all cars are like this in the first year. To me there are two near term things to watch out for regarding GTS:
1) If they launch the GT model at a $20k discount over the GTS. I heard that the GT is coming in the spring. This will automatically know about $20-30k off the price of a used GTS I think.
2) If the model year ends in March. When we look at the computer the last reservable allocation is March, so it could imply 2017 models are coming in April. If that is the case then expect discounts on 2016 GTS in April.

What are your opinions on 2016 GTS vs 2014 Turbo S Vic55 and E90potentialbuyer
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I took my first test drive of the GTS on Saturday. I really enjoyed it too. A few things stood out:
2) Sound is brilliant - I actually think it sounds louder than my F-Type, though it is certainly a little less theatrical (no machine gun fire sound).

The only thing that did bother me though was how prone the car is to wheelspin. Seemed a lot like my F-Type in that regard. Made me wonder whether I should just get a 911 Turbo S instead. These days it seems you can get a 2014 Turbo S for around $130-140k. So that's a little less than 2016 AMG GTS.

As for depreciation - so far the GTS is doing very well - but all cars are like this in the first year. To me there are two near term things to watch out for regarding GTS:
1) If they launch the GT model at a $20k discount over the GTS. I heard that the GT is coming in the spring. This will automatically know about $20-30k off the price of a used GTS I think.
2) If the model year ends in March. When we look at the computer the last reservable allocation is March, so it could imply 2017 models are coming in April. If that is the case then expect discounts on 2016 GTS in April.

What are your opinions on 2016 GTS vs 2014 Turbo S @Vic55 and @E90potentialbuyer
Stealth - good points. Given you have driven both the cars (I have never driven the F-type) you can probably compare them a bit more. I haven't driven the F-type and wondering if I should.

I was reading online and seems like a AMG GT-R model is in the works. That would be a more hardcore version and probably too much for my taste.

Given they called me today to ask about the car tells me that they want to push it out. I did not initiate anything on pricing but the CA blurted on the call that they can do 4% off the MSRP if i move quick. Tells me I can squeeze more if I am going that route. The car has the right packages and colors, so I don't need to custom order it as I did with M5. It has 35 Miles on the odo!

I noticed the wheel spin too but thought it was less than M5.

I am biased against the P cars. I am not a fan of their interiors with buttons every where. I drove that car a few months ago but my recollection is that I didn't like the steering at all. It felt strangely numb. The grip was awesome though. I also didn't like the interior as much for reasons stated above. It is my bud's car and he had just gotten it so didn't want to push it much. But I remember thinking that this is not a car for me.

I have also always wanted an Aston V8 Vantage. though I think that car is getting long in the tooth now and def won't buy it new. I have looked at GT-R and don't like the interior! Not sure what else am I missing in this segment? F, L and MCL cars attract too much attention for my taste. Missed anything?
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Haven't driven the Turbo S or the GTS, but I'll say this, the GTS looks better than the Turbo S, and from what I've seen on the Turbo S, I am guessing that the GTS will hold value better than the Turbo S. If it was a new LCI 2016 Turbo S, that's a different story then. Get the GTS E90, I think you'll love it. Now if we could just get Aston to bring the GT12 to the United States.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

What are your opinions on 2016 GTS vs 2014 Turbo S Vic55 and E90potentialbuyer
Hey stealth.pilot

My Turbo S was a brilliant car to launch but I felt it ran out of steam as triple digits started up. This is proven with the M6/M5 times from 60-130 similar or even better at times due to parasitic drag from the AWD. The GTS is just so nice inside and the RWD rear weight bias helps in launches. I will admit that I got rid of my Turbo S too early (about 8 months in) and still crave the car, thus my consideration on a pre LCI 2016 currently. Its still probably the best daily driving AWD car/sports car out there that can be modded easily for gains. I just really love the way the GTS drives. The steering is about is good as it gets with no understeer in turns and bends. Even the Turbo S has what I call, mild understeer in the same situations. The interior of the GTS is much better and the stock sound is incredible, as you stated. I agree 100% with your comparison of the GTS sound vs the Jag. I loved the Jag's daggers but it was indeed, at times, excessive. Both the GTS and Turbo S handle very well. I do like that the GTS gets the magnetorheoligical dampeners. I love them on my Lambo/R8/FF and my previous 458. They just keep the car perfectly flat. It would be a hard choice to say which one is better but since I have the GTS and have already dumped the Turbo S I'm biased. I do think the GTS is the more fun car to drive and hear. While the Turbo S will get you there slightly quicker I don't think the journey is as fun.

I too had and have wheelspin but I found this was due to the tires just not up to warm temps. With the tune I have more issues but this is overcome with throttle modulation or keeping ESP on vs Sport or Off. The differential does a good job in the ESP on mode and I found myself having better "off the line" lift off's.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:01 AM   #11
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ha and one of my favorite shows covered AMG GTS!
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 04:04 AM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
That's the only reason I am not willing to test drive this car...LOL
AMG GTS is a great car except the steering (based on what I have heard and read from different reviews). It's on top of my list as next move, but I have a feeling that if you go for AMG GTS , you will miss the power and DCT of your M5...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #13
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
AMG GTS is a great car except the steering (based on what I have heard and read from different reviews). It's on top of my list as next move, but I have a feeling that if you go for AMG GTS , you will miss the power and DCT of your M5...
There is always a place for a tune in that case
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
The GTS has a DCT and a very good one. The steering on the GTS is also excellent - much better than our M5s. Its super precise. Reminds me of E36 M3.

Power is less, but it is also a lot lighter, and it can be tuned.

I think the only thing he would miss of the M5 is the comfort of the car and also some of the BMW tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ha and one of my favorite shows covered AMG GTS!
I didn't realize the engine was that far back in the engine bay on the GTS. No wonder it handles so well! Lol!

I would also like to give kudos to Mercedes, and Audi for that matter, to show that size doesn't matter when it comes to turbo engines. It's funny, they went from gigantic 6.3L engines to a new 4.0L engine that is smaller than BMW's, even though they copied BMW's design idea. I'm just saying this because I really believe that BMW could have developed a fuel efficient 3.0L V10 Twin Turbo Engine, that retains character and gives tons of power. But they are too lazy and just stuck the S63tu in the next generation M5/M6. BMW's lack of innovation is what is driving me towards other car companies like Mercedes in the future.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The GTS has a DCT and a very good one. The steering on the GTS is also excellent - much better than our M5s. Its super precise. Reminds me of E36 M3.

Power is less, but it is also a lot lighter, and it can be tuned.

I think the only thing he would miss of the M5 is the comfort of the car and also some of the BMW tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

The GTS beats a stock M5 in a roll... so you would not miss any power stock vs stock. Ive owned both stock and it has a higher trap speed in the quarter which means its power delivery is beyond strong along with the bhp probably underrated.

Last edited by Vic55; 12-08-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

This thread is exaclty why I didnt test drive the GTS when I saw a beautifully-yellow one in the MB store on the West Side.... That yellow color on the GTS is something else... So gorgeous.

Staying away from this thread. ;-)

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

I went a little wild with mine but its all personal preference:

Appreciate 4
      12-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
Dansc
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 991TT, AMG GTR Pro, M8, X4M, C

Wow. That GTS looks brilliant!

By the way the DCT in the GTS is almost the same DCT like in the Ferraris and the SLS. It is the same base but just different calibration etc.
So it is a very good transmission
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Steering on GTS is fantastic. I loved it.

Also not selling my M5. It's a keeper. Garage will just expand with GTS.

As I said it will be strictly be a toy. I only drive my car on weekends. Wish I could drive these things more.

Didn't see all the posts today. But Vic's car looks amazing. Nice work on the wheels!

I am off to Asia this weekend for meetings and back in a week. Just need to figure out if it's worth (do I get to drive it enough) getting it.

Haven't don't the math, but for this car think it would make more sense to buy it then leasing it. Probably the most flexibility if I ever want to get out of it.

Is there any car I should look at before pulling the trigger on this? Any hidden jewels that I may have missed in the 150k price range?
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #22
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Steering on GTS is fantastic. I loved it.

Also not selling my M5. It's a keeper. Garage will just expand with GTS.

As I said it will be strictly be a toy. I only drive my car on weekends. Wish I could drive these things more.

Didn't see all the posts today. But Vic's car looks amazing. Nice work on the wheels!

I am off to Asia this weekend for meetings and back in a week. Just need to figure out if it's worth (do I get to drive it enough) getting it.

Haven't don't the math, but for this car think it would make more sense to buy it then leasing it. Probably the most flexibility if I ever want to get out of it.

Is there any car I should look at before pulling the trigger on this? Any hidden jewels that I may have missed in the 150k price range?
Based on the rave reviews here and also other magazine reviews, seems like Mercedes hit a HR with the GTS.
Appreciate 0