M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Rear tread wear

Is it normal for these to get uneven tread wear on the rears? I know I'm about due for replacement, but what caught my eye while doing the sway bars was that my inner tread was noticeably more worn than middle or outer. Inner looks to be a bit under 3, while middle and outer are a bit under and a bit over 4, respectively. Basically the same on both sides.
      07-09-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Totally normal on vehicles with negative camber setting and staggered wheel setup. Might be your toe too but If it really concerns you start off with getting an alignment check.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
Totally normal on vehicles with negative camber setting and staggered wheel setup. Might be your toe too but If it really concerns you start off with getting an alignment check.
Thanks. I figured it was the negative camber, just wasn't sure if it was more than one would expect. I don't recall what my Cobra (also staggered) had for rear camber, but the rear wear was more even I do plan to have an alignment after I upgrade to PS4S, given I have no clue the last time one was done.

Speaking of alignments, is there any advantage to going to a reputable BMW indy shop vs. an M-certified dealer? The dealer is actually cheaper for a four wheel, but curious if I'm going to be able to get it dialed in better by the indy shop.
      07-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

As a seasoned auto technician, depends on the technician working on your car. There are procedures in place for a "proper alignment" but unless you're tracking the car you won't notice the difference. I made sure my gas tank was 3/4 full and aligned it that way. Haven't had any tire wear issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
As a seasoned auto technician, depends on the technician working on your car. There are procedures in place for a "proper alignment" but unless you're tracking the car you won't notice the difference. I made sure my gas tank was 3/4 full and aligned it that way. Haven't had any tire wear issues so far.
Thanks! Interesting point about the gas tank, as that will impact the rear ride height slightly, and in turn the camber.
      07-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
1320racer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Is it normal for these to get uneven tread wear on the rears? I know I'm about due for replacement, but what caught my eye while doing the sway bars was that my inner tread was noticeably more worn than middle or outer. Inner looks to be a bit under 3, while middle and outer are a bit under and a bit over 4, respectively. Basically the same on both sides.
As others have stated, yes it is normal for the tires to wear on the inner edge and feel free to review pics from this post. The tires should have been replaced much earlier as these eventually exposed the cords and steel belts. (Click here)

Past: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 BMW 550i MSport, 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2000 BMW 540i, 1997 BMW 540i, 1997 WS6 Pontiac Firebird, 1992 Eagle Talon TSI
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
As others have stated, yes it is normal for the tires to wear on the inner edge and feel free to review pics from this post. The tires should have been replaced much earlier as these eventually exposed the cords and steel belts. (Click here)
Thanks. Yours were definitely more worn than mine (even ignoring the exposure), but I'm probably due for replacement.

Last edited by vafan13; 07-16-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0